Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh cream sponge - kids birthday cake?

Options
  • 14-04-2015 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

It will be my son's first birthday soon and I'd like to make the cake for him. We're not having a "party" as such - just grandparents and uncles/aunts over. He won't have a clue what's going on and I'd really like to make a cake that people will actually eat - so I was hoping to go for a nice light sponge with fresh cream and fruit as none of us really like sugary buttercream/fondant.

However I would like it to look "kiddy" and have some sort of decoration. Is this possible with a sponge cake - I'd imagine it wouldn't hold up to much weight? I was thinking of dusting with icing sugar and having some sort of pre-prepared decorations to pop on before blowing out the candle - maybe a thin disc of fondant with "Happy Birthday SonsName" written on it and then a couple of little figurines and a candle? I might even buy plastic figurines as nobody will want to eat them anyway.

Another option would be something like carrot cake as everyone likes that - would this be easier to decorate?

Any ideas at all would be most welcome!

Advertisement