Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SCHOOL KEEPS ASKING FOR MONEY

Options
  • 14-04-2015 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi there, I have a daughter in a standard Irish primary school in a small city. Every week the school asks for money. They are now asking us to pay for tin whistle lessons (which were free) as they are getting an outside teacher in to do them. The cost is small, but we don't have much. It's €30 for a bike course that is apparently for SPHE. It's money for zumba classes and yoga teachers, while the government paid teachers are elsewhere. We pay for swimming, school trips, non-uniform days, walk down the road wearing a hat days, we pay for the PTA contribution and school 'fees' and photocopying fees. A very expensive uniform, books, extra requests for wipes and folders etc.

So my questions is: if something is part of the curriculum, such as PE or music, and they chose to have an outsider come in, do we have to pay? And do they have the right to make the kids whose parents can't / don't pay sit on the sidelines and watch - which they do?

I need to know the legality of this, as I want to approach the principal and need a leg to stand on on behalf of many of us very stretched parents. I don't just want to go and say "I cant pay" and get my child singled out.

PS I don't care if they stop doing zumba and yoga as long as they still get a PE curriculum.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would talk to other parents and approach the PTA 1st.
    You will find that if you are unhappy that there will be others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

It's the same in my boy's school. The school has a lot of money and is on prime real estate.

Every week there is a begging letter for something or other.

Another day is money for Ukelele. I ignore them.

I already have do dish out for extra curriculars.

I spoke to the principal one day and asked her to consider the consequences of teaching children how to beg for money, rather than how to earn it.

For one set of the uniform is E100, the contribution is E250, the obligatory contribution is E90.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that unless it's a private school it's illegal to have an obligatory contribution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

SMCG wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that unless it's a private school it's illegal to have an obligatory contribution?

They are all technically private.

This one has a E90 contribution, or 'fee' that you have to pay. The 250 is voluntary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

SMCG wrote: »
    Hi there, I have a daughter in a standard Irish primary school in a small city. Every week the school asks for money. They are now asking us to pay for tin whistle lessons (which were free) as they are getting an outside teacher in to do them. The cost is small, but we don't have much. It's €30 for a bike course that is apparently for SPHE. It's money for zumba classes and yoga teachers, while the government paid teachers are elsewhere. We pay for swimming, school trips, non-uniform days, walk down the road wearing a hat days, we pay for the PTA contribution and school 'fees' and photocopying fees. A very expensive uniform, books, extra requests for wipes and folders etc.

So my questions is: if something is part of the curriculum, such as PE or music, and they chose to have an outsider come in, do we have to pay? And do they have the right to make the kids whose parents can't / don't pay sit on the sidelines and watch - which they do?

I need to know the legality of this, as I want to approach the principal and need a leg to stand on on behalf of many of us very stretched parents. I don't just want to go and say "I cant pay" and get my child singled out.

PS I don't care if they stop doing zumba and yoga as long as they still get a PE curriculum.
    I have highlighted some areas which unfortunately most parents have to pay for, as primary schools are chronically underfunded and things like those above could not possibly be covered under the current DES funding.

Swimming generally costs, for pool, buses etc and the DES don't seem to mind parents having to foot the cost of this.

HOWEVER: during the school day, as in 9-3 bar swimming, it is very much frowned upon to have parents pay extra teachers for things like PE and music. (In some schools, the hour between 2-3 when infants should be gone home, (ie after their school day )classes for art, Irish dancing are offered to save parents having to make two trips and as these are not part of the official day, can run by outsiders and charged for.

I will also add , as a teacher, i would consider it dreadful to have children whose parents can't afford these extra teachers be made to sit classes out. It goes against all ideas of fairness and I would be very, very unhappy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'm going through this at the minute with our own school. If you ring the DES in Athlone and ask for the School Governance Section, they will be very helpful and give you all the information you need to go to the Parents' Association or the school, whichever you prefer.

Advertisement