Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solicitor fees

Options
  • 14-04-2015 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi I got quoted 1% of cost of house price. Is this good value? I.e. 300k house 3k in fees. In cork region.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

physioman wrote: »
    Hi I got quoted 1% of cost of house price. Is this good value? I.e. 300k house 3k in fees. In cork region.

The best way to establish value would be contact a few solicitors and compare prices. Most now seem to charge a flat fee ('professional fee') and then all of the other fees should be similar between each of them.

Just make sure you know what is and what is not included in each quote.

Having a reccomendation would help too or knowing who'll actually do the conveyancing in the solicitors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

is that 1% all in or + costs and Vat?

I shopped around recently and got it for approx €1250 (were selling). In the "boom" when I bought we paid about ~€2600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Rew wrote: »
    is that 1% all in or + costs and Vat?

I shopped around recently and got it for approx €1250 (were selling). In the "boom" when I bought we paid about ~€2600.

I thought even 3k all in was excessive. Think I'll shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

My experience is based in Dublin, but when I was selling most solicitors were quoting ~0.5% plus outlays. Outlays depend on whether you are buying of selling and what kind of title you have freehold/leasehold, many management agents charge a scandalously high fee to provide information to the solicitors if your selling.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would go set fee and not percentage. I used a great solicitor west of the city and they would fight tooth and nail for a client, very impressed with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Are these prices people are mentioning inclusive of Stamp Duty? My solicitor is costing 3.5 k inclusive of stamp duty, so a little over 2 k excluding. Im wondering now whether I got a good deal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

Would anybody be able to recommend a solicitor by pm please. Based in North /West Dublin city. House purchase. It's all a bit daunting.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

1% of the cost of the house? jaysus the solicitors are quick to take at advantage of the increases.

OP, any solicitor i talked to in Dublin charged between 850 and 1100 for their service and then on top of that you have the fixed costs that don't vary between solicitors. should come in at between 1900 and 2200 i should think.

PS, this was in Oct of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Most solicitors that quoted us gave a flat rate fee. There was only 1 that charged 1%, and that one wasn't very competent IMO...
    I don't think that's a good approach, especially since it's in their interest for you to buy a higher priced house... so they're already not on your side from the get go.
    After their fees you'll need to to add in all the similarly priced outlays of conveyance cost, land registry or search fees, stamp duty, etc... which would be about the same irrespective of solicitor.

Advertisement