Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time house share - beginner questions

Options
  • 14-04-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I've read the sticky post on renting, which was really helpful, but there are still a few things I'm unsure of. I've got 4 viewings lined up for the next few days - 3 are for apartment / house shares, one is to rent on my own. I've never rented before, so I'm trying to find out as much info as possible.

Deposits - most places require a one month deposit. I'm fine with this, but I'm just wondering what is the best way to pay - I don't like the idea of handing over cash to a virtual stranger. And what should I be getting in return (eg receipt?)

Also, if I'm renting from an existing tenant, should I be paying the deposit to them, or the landlord? And will I need to sign anything?

Negotiating - is this accepted / expected? Or if I'm happy with the price, should I just go with it?

If I'm viewing the property, and I want to move in, what do I need to do to secure it? I imagine most people hold viewing for a set number of days, and then pick from the interested parties. But should I be prepared to offer the deposit there and then?

Really appreciate any help, or if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Deposit - only hand over the full deposit in exchange for a lease and the keys. A nominal booking deposit is different and can be a couple of hundred euro to secure the property before the lease is signed. Get a receipt for a booking deposit, the lease will detail what the deposit is and will effectively be the receipt. It's preferable to do it electronically so you've got a record on your account.

Renting from tenant - unless you're signing a new lease with the tenant and landlord, you're a licencee which gives you less rights. You can be asked to leave at short notice. However this also benefits you if you'd like the flexibility to do the same. Deposit should be paid to tenant, but understand you can't go to the PRTB to get it back if they don't return it. You'll have to sue through the Small Claims Court.

Negotiating - if you're in Dublin, forget it. The landlord is likely to get the price he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

PAY deposit in the form of a cheque or postal order,take photo of this cheque. po, with your phone.
    before you hand it over.
    Rents are going up,
    theres no room for haggling .
    if rent is too high go elsewhere .
    You will be interviewed,
    do you work full time,are you a smoker,
    is it a permanent job,do you work 9-5 ,

House share they pick out tenant who looks quiet,safe, well dressed ,
    non threatening,IS in a good well paid job.
    maybe not like 20 years older than the present tenants .
    say theres 3 women in a house share ,
    they may just go for another female tenant,
    ie no male tenants will be taken on.
    say flat is viewed today 2o clock,
    there might be 10 people looking at that flat .
    bring id, payslip, maybe letter ,i work at job x,
    5 days per week,
    i,m working here long term,
    not as an intern.
    ask do i pay rent weekly,every month,
    pay into a bank account.
    say theres 3 people in a house,are all utility bills divided equally,
    do i pay for sky tv,intenet broadband if i dont have a conection.
    deposit could be 600 euro plus.
    you should not be paying rent to a tenant ,pay deposit,to the landlord ,
    or landlords agent .
    yes get a full printed receipt signed by landlord,
    THIS is a receipt for the deposit paid on day date x,by tenant ,your name here ,
    say 30th march 2015 in respect of rental room, flat 3 at 25 rathmines road.
    signed joe bloggs landlord ,
    you should get a rent book,
    thats the law, every tenant must have 1,buy 1 in easons ,stationary shop.
    signed by landlord ,
    filled out every week,
    rent paid on a certain day,
    ask do i pay rent on friday, sunday etc or by bank account transfer.
    dont give deposit to any tenant,that goes to landlord,
    dont pay large deposit in cash.
    People have been know rent out flat,take 6 cash deposits ,and disappear.with the money.
    a lease is a legal document ,i will pay rent at flat x for the next 12months ,deposit is x euros .
    i rented maybe 4-5 flats never even seen a lease.
    yes pay the deposit ,and get a set of keys,
    landlord should say move in say monday,AT 8am,
    or say thursday 6pm.
    thats when the flat will be vacant ,thats the day you pay rent from.
    i had a rent book,plus a reciept,deposit paid 500 euro .
    plus each flat had its own esb meter.
    i would never give money to a tenant,
    over say 20 euro,to pay the bill for internet broadband or sky tv .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There maybe one person who goes to post office, pays, cable tv,or broadband bills every month.
    OTherwise you pay the rent to landlord ,either into his bank account ,or he collects it ever week, say friday evening ,
    ON a certain day.
    i,ve never heard of some one renting from another tenant,
    thats to be avoided ,in that case you have no rights ,
    you could be evicted anyday with no notice ,
    and little chance of getting your deposit bag,
    WITHOUT a landlord you have no legal protection at all.

Advertisement