Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing which way to go?

Options
  • 14-04-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi, Mods if I am in the wrong section please let me know.

My Questions:

I am looking at marketing a small business in the city center (Dublin) and ideally this should appeal to people with a disposable income. There is a plethora of methods and is there any hierarchy on which one reaches the required customers or do you just do a bit of all and see which works?

I have looked at Newspaper, Leaflet drop (done and did not work out well), Luas, Signs, radio, online.....WOULD anyone have any advice on how to choose a marketing strategy?
    Thanks any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Have you not done any digital marketing?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

No online marketing. I will try it though....But is that where we should put our resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We have found printed still works in some publications but in general adwords is just killing it ROI wise. We have a couple of print ads in the works now because we were given two ridiculously low offers but we had moved our regular print spend to online up to that. We're City Centre too and our main product would be at the higher end of the price range for its type and every day all we hear is I searched for it on google and you were the first place that popped up we get a lot of people coming to us even if we aren't the closest to them. The other thing with online is the cost of entry is way way lower than printed but it does take time you can skip the queue a bit and go with AdWords but you really want organic search results as people trust that more and SEO is not something that kicks in over night but its worth doing and its worth doing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deanhanley

Before you decide you need to look at where you're customers are and what they are interested in. If you were looking to go down the digital route, I would look at advertising through Google AdWords as Jimmii said above. Social Media is also an essential area if you are looking into advertising digitally, Facebook advertising is working very well these days and can be set up to be extremely targeted. Above all else you need to have a good website that is easy to navigate and an overall enjoyable experience for the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

deanhanley wrote: »
    Before you decide you need to look at where you're customers are and what they are interested in.

... and what will motivate them to spend on your product.

This depends on what you're selling, and what part of their lives it will be useful in. It could be anything between mail drops, to viral campaigns on LinkedIn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

If your ideal customer are the type that use facebook a lot (female 20-45), then that where to look.

I only use FB advertising now (I used to do a lot of radio & local paper) and have built up likes for different locations and then advertise directly to those "likes".

It can take 6-12 months to build up a decent number of likes via promoting your page, but you should be able to get to 8,000 - 10,000 and about 60%-80% of them will be potential customers who are interested in you.

Then this is where FB comes into its own - you can put a post with image up on FB and then boost the post to just those people. You can even further target by saying just female 30-44 within 5 miles of your location, or any combination of other parameters.

I'd go for about €5 a day for "promoting" your FB page to build your likes up. Make sure your page is interesting, post about once or twice a week - don't overly "advertise" in the posts. Once you get to 1000 likes, start boosting any particularly good posts.

Over a period you'll build up your "likes". Avoid "like and share" competitions - they don;t work and attract a lot of people you don't want who just scour FB for competitions.

You choose your budget for everything.

Its not easy initially, but FB have a lot of info and it can be trial and error. Maybe get a student from a digital marketing course to give a hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gareth Sherry

Hey, if you could explain a little more the type of business or product you're selling, I could help point you in the right direction.

The most important factor when doing any type of marketing whether it be online or traditional is to clearly identify what are your objectives eg brand awareness or direct response in the form of sales or promoting an event etc.

Once you are clear on your objectives then try test one method hard.

A big problem with most businesses is they throw x amount of money at a marketing campaign without knowing how to effectively track its performance. Then after nothing much happens, the business moves onto the next marketing idea. For example if you decide to go down the google adwords route expect to invest €300-500 buying data. Also if you're not making over €15 net profit per sale...it's extremely difficult to achieve positive ROI with Adwords.

hope this helps.

g

Advertisement