Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda and children

Options
  • 14-04-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

are the gardai allowed put underage minors in the car

i mean kids of the age from 6 to 8 years old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

More detail is required here for you to get an answer. Why were the children in contact with the gardai? Were they;

- wandering around alone and being taken home/to a place of safety?
    - breaking the law in some way?
    - in the company of their parents who were arrested?
    - being transported somewhere as part of a community event?
    - some other reason?

Gardai frequently come into contact with children for a wide variety of reasons

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Can you elaborate please?
    Do you mean with out car seats?
    Do you mean to see the inside of the car?
    Do you mean to drop them home or to a station?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

ok

neighbour phones gardai bout couple of children apparently loitering outside of her home

kids are aged from 6-8 y/o

gards come along and put the kids in the car and bring them to the parents home

the kids are in the car for approx 30 mins

yet the neighour house is 20 secs walk away

gaurds suggest a telling of to the kids via the parents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Why did the neighbour ring the guards? Did the guard know where the children live? 20 seconds suggest the children live very close. Were the parents at home? How did the parents not notice the guards picking up their 6&8 year old?

I don't really see what the guards did wrong?

because the children were loitering at the persons wall in a public area
    yes all parents at home
    its 20 secs around the corner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't really understand - how were the children in the car for 30 minutes if the house was 20 seconds away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

theenergy wrote: »

Yes they are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

theenergy wrote: »

I suppose we wont be getting all pertinent facts from you, will we? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Define loitering. If they live just around the corner and are in a public area like you say then maybe the 6-8 year olds were just hanging out with their friends. Were they actually causing any trouble?

But the answer to your question is yes - they can put them in a car. It's part of their job if they feel it is necessary.

thanks all.... CASE CLOSED! mod please close

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Are you the concerned neighbour or the parent of the 6-8 year olds?

If you're the concerned neighbour, then well done on reporting the negligent parents. You were right to report the unattended children. As far as I know there are usually two guards in a patrol car, to reduce any concerns about child safety. They will have been trained in working with children, and the reason for them spending some time with the children may have been to ascertain the degree of negligence in them being allowed to "loiter" unsupervised for so long.

If you're the parent, and if you don't want to have your kids taken by the guards - maybe keep an eye on them next time? Or next time it mightn't be the guards that take them into their car, you mightn't be so lucky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you're the parent, and if you don't want to have your kids taken by the guards - maybe keep an eye on them next time? Or next time it mightn't be the guards that take them into their car, you mightn't be so lucky.

Jaysus Some fair scare mongering there!!
    Kids of 6-8 are old enough to play together without constant supervison from an adult other than for the adults to know where they are.

They will get into trouble the odd time by over stepping boundaries but that is a normal learning experience for a child as boundaries are essentially an arbitrary cultural imposition that have no basis in natural instinct.
    negligent parents
    Gimme a break. There is nothing in the OPs posts that show any negligence by normal standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    other than for the adults to know where they are.
    That's the pertinent issue here. Did they parents know / care where they were.
    boundaries are essentially an arbitrary cultural imposition that have no basis in natural instinct.
    Some boundaries perhaps. But even animals put boundaries on their offspring in relation to certain behaviours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mordeith wrote: »
    That's the pertinent issue here. Did they parents know / care where they were.

'Around somewhere' was good enough when I was growing up. :p

The only thing we can garner from the OP is that they were '20 seconds from their house'. To jump to neglect from this point is just hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    'Around somewhere' was good enough when I was growing up. :p

The only thing we can garner from the OP is that they were '20 seconds from their house'. To jump to neglect from this point is just hysteria.

Fair enough Ted. :-)

Advertisement