Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caddy for external CD/DVD drive?

Options
  • 14-04-2015 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

My two teenagers recently bought essentially the same laptop from two different retailers. A Toshiba Satellite.

The only difference seems to be that my daughter's doesn't have a CD/DVD drive included. Is this common nowadays?

We have components from several long dead laptops lying around so I thought of cannibalising the DVD drive from one of them and trying to get a caddy for it, similar to those available for hard drives, so that I could hook it up as an external drive via a USB port.

Are such products available?

She doesn't need it regularly but immediate issue is to set up our printer so she can access it via Wi-Fi. The generic driver that came with the laptop doesn't do that.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

My two teenagers recently bought essentially the same laptop from two different retailers. A Toshiba Satellite.

The only difference seems to be that my daughter's doesn't have a CD/DVD drive included. Is this common nowadays?

We have components from several long dead laptops lying around so I thought of cannibalising the DVD drive from one of them and trying to get a caddy for it, similar to those available for hard drives, so that I could hook it up as an external drive via a USB port.

Are such products available?

She doesn't need it regularly but immediate issue is to set up our printer so she can access it via Wi-Fi. The generic driver that came with the laptop doesn't do that.

Any help appreciated.

You should be able to download driver from manufacturer's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

depends if the drive is modular on the old laptop, you could just get an adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It is quite common for new laptops not to have an optical drive. ODDs are SATA these days but really old ones are IDE. A different plug and electrical standard. The SATA ones use a similar but not identical plug to a SATA hard disk drive. You can get a cable to convert a SATA laptop ODD to USB, like this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Practical-USB-2-0-to-7-6-13Pin-SATA-Laptop-CD-DVD-Rom-Drive-Adapter-Cable-/321654328824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4ae4178df8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

its common to see laptops with no dvd drive, because most programs ,files ,games can be downloaded from the internet.
    IT reduces power consumption, of the laptop.
    the battery will last longer .if theres no dvd drive to power on.
    A laptop with no dvd drive is usually cheaper, unless its an apple laptop.

i only use my dvd drive to read old disks, and burn iso files for linux .
    only laptops more than 6-7 years old would maybe use a ide dvd drive,
    that laptop would have windows xp,or vista on it.

Advertisement