If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with new room electrics for tv

Options
  • 14-04-2015 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi there

We are renovating a room and the electrician has just done the first fix. He told us he would pipe in two HDMI cables for the TV so I need advice on which best ones to get for this.

We also need to get a TV bracket for a Samsung 42" tv for the wall.

Finally, I think it's probably best to ask him to add in speaker wires so would appreciate your advice. We have an old Kenwood hifi with 2 speakers that we use with the TV at the moment and the sound is really good. I think we could probably do with new speaker cable and also thinking it would be great to get the banana plates added to the wall, do you do these?

We have a sonos speaker for regular music listening and down the road I would love to get their soundbar etc but given budget, mightn't be for a while so your advice on how best to wire in our kenwood hifi (i.e. speaker cable etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Animha,

Firstly with regards the HDMI cables, it really depends on what length you need. If you are tracking them into the wall you are best future-proofing yourself for any changes in technology. Any HDMI 2.0 cable will carry HD audio, 3D and 4K signals. To this end, depending on the length I would recommend either 2 x Audioquest Pearl 2 meter HDMIs at £35 each. If you require longer HDMIs I would recommend 2 x QED Performance Eflex 5 meter HDMIs at £54.95 each.

For a TV bracket for that size of TV you would be looking at the following options:

Flat to the wall (no movement): Sanus VML5 at £49.95

Tilting bracket: Sanus VMT15 at £69.95

Full motion cantilever bracket: Sanus VMF322 at £107.95

I wouldn't wire speaker cable behind the TV as no TV has passive speaker outputs. TV sound will be put out digitally through HDMI or Optical. To link to a soundbar you would need an optical cable coming from the back of the TV. With regards to linking your TV to your Kenwood signal you would have to check if your kenwood has an auxiliary phono input and your TV can OUTPUT sound via red and white phono connections. If both can do this you will have no problems connecting your TV to your Kenwood.

If not, the only other way to do this is to connect a 3.5MM to Phono cable from the headphone socket of the TV to the auxiliary input of the Kenwood. In this instance the volume can only be controlled from the TV menu rather than from the remote.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭animha

Hi David

This is super helpful thanks. I'll get the shorter audioquest HDMIs.

Can you buy optical cables?  If so what would you recommend so that at least it's there if we need it.

Also the kenwood does have an auxiliary phono input so what cable would you recommend for connecting it to the TV output? Ideally want to order all together today.

Thanks again.
    A

Hi Animha,

You can indeed buy optical cables. We sell a very good 2.25 meter Cambridge 300 for £29.95 if that would be long enough?

Again, you would have to check the back of your TV to see if there is a phono output. A lot of TVs will have an input but it is becoming rarer to find one which can also output. If it says output you will be looking for a straight phono to phono cable. If it is just an input you will need a 3.5MM to Phono. We stock both in a range of lengths and reasonable prices!

Kind Regards

David

Hi Animha,

You can indeed buy optical cables. We sell a very good 2.25 meter Cambridge 300 for £29.95 if that would be long enough?

Again, you would have to check the back of your TV to see if there is a phono output. A lot of TVs will have an input but it is becoming rarer to find one which can also output. If it says output you will be looking for a straight phono to phono cable. If it is just an input you will need a 3.5MM to Phono. We stock both in a range of lengths and reasonable prices!

Kind Regards

David
    Hi David

Attaching photo of back of TV. I've just put through an order for all including a 2 phono to phono (10507 CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AUD300 1M (AUD300 1M Phono). Do you think that will work with my TV and Kenwood which also has an audio in?

Hi Animha,

I've had a look at your TV and unfortunately a 2 phono won't work. You will need a 3.5mm to 2 phono as it's an Input rather than an output. This is a more awkward solution as you will have to change volume by going into your TV menu and adjusting the headphone level.

Kind Regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi Animha,

I've had a look at your TV and unfortunately a 2 phono won't work. You will need a 3.5mm to 2 phono as it's an Input rather than an output. This is a more awkward solution as you will have to change volume by going into your TV menu and adjusting the headphone level.

Kind Regards

David
    Thanks a mill. I just sent an email to change my order but just in case can you stop it?

It's order # 101427. Can you please stop the order I put through this afternoon and advise a good alternative 3.5mm to 2 phono for the same price?

Hi Animha,

Internet orders usually take an hour or so to come onto our system but I have given your order number to our mail order manager and he will cancel the order when it comes through. If you are looking for a good 3.5mm to phono cable I would recommend the QED profile 2 meter cable at £17.95. If you are looking for a longer cable we have a 3 meter version for £22.95.

Kind Regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.