Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Improvements ideas for Bray

• 14-04-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

Just a thought... driving around Bray, I often see areas where roads could be improved for drivers. I've two ideas that I think would make driving in Bray better... have you any to add?

1. The Southern Cross exit road down near Brennanstown Riding School.

The road could be widened and two lanes could be put in here at the yield sigh. One for exiting to the southbound N11 road and the other for going around the roundabout to exit north to the N11.

There seems to be enough space to do so by reducing the concrete divider on the right and the grass verge to the left.

2. Get rid of parking on one side of the Florence Road going towards the main street after Eglington Road.

So you're driving up Florence road to the main street and there's often a back up of traffic. The road is single lane all the way up until you reach Vance's shoe repair place.

For the sake of the 15 or so parking spaces, which aren't needed as there's a massive car park in the Florentine Centre, the road could be made two lanes of traffic all the way along thus making it easier for cars to get up to the lights

Any other ideas? thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A roundabout at Old Conna Avenue/Corke Abbey instead of lights or widen Upper Dargle road in some way and force traffic heading out of town that way on to M50/N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

murpho999 wrote:
    A roundabout at Old Conna Avenue/Cork Abbey instead of lights or widen Upper Dargle road in some way and force traffic heading out of town that way on to M50/N11.

Often wonder why people take the bray north exit to get into bray rather than the fassaroe exit which is so much quicker. I thought maybe it was just motorists that were unfamiliar with the area but my mother's been doing it for years and won't change her route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

zoobizoo wrote: »

Get rid of parking on one side of the Florence Road going towards the main street after Eglington Road.

So you're driving up Florence road to the main street and there's often a back up of traffic. The road is single lane all the way up until you reach Vance's shoe repair place.

For the sake of the 15 or so parking spaces, which aren't needed as there's a massive car park in the Florentine Centre, the road could be made two lanes of traffic all the way along thus making it easier for cars to get up to the lights

Any other ideas? thoughts?

+1 Have often thought about the difference this would make in terms of freeing up traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

I reckon a dedicated cycle path, separate from the road, from Bray to GStones is a necessity. Impatient drivers + slow uphill bikes + narrow busy road = disaster waiting to happen on that windgates route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cliffage wrote: »
    I reckon a dedicated cycle path, separate from the road, from Bray to GStones is a necessity. Impatient drivers + slow uphill bikes + narrow busy road = disaster waiting to happen on that windgates route

it is planned in the National Cycle Plan.

I hate cycling on that road; as you point out it's steep enough to slow cyclists down, but not cars and drivers insist on overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic forcing cyclists into the ditch. There's enough space on the western side of the road to create a bit of a hard shoulder for cyclists going up the hill. Going down the hill is not such an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

loyatemu wrote: »
    it is planned in the National Cycle Plan. .

Any info on that please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Some car drivers who don't like waiting at the lights when turning right from Seapoint Rd onto the Main Street take the sneaky left lane at the Royal Hotel and then try to cross right across traffic coming up and down the Main Street.
    I think there should be a ban on right hand turns there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Any info on that please?

its in the National Cycle Network from 2010 (as part of an east coast route from Dundalk to Wexford) and also the more recent Dublin Regional Cycle Network - map is on page 225 of this document. When it'll happen, who knows but I assume the council will have to take account of these plans in any works on the road, and can draw on funding from the NTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Some car drivers who don't like waiting at the lights when turning right from Seapoint Rd onto the Main Street take the sneaky left lane at the Royal Hotel and then try to cross right across traffic coming up and down the Main Street.
    I think there should be a ban on right hand turns there.

There is a ban on turning right there. There's a continuous white line in the centre of the road but I've never seen it enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

1. The Southern Cross exit road down near Brennanstown Riding School.

The road could be widened and two lanes could be put in here at the yield sigh. One for exiting to the southbound N11 road and the other for going around the roundabout to exit north to the N11.

There actually is enough room at this roundabout for one car to go left onto N11 and another to go straight or right around the roundabout. It drives me crazy (no pun intended!) to see one car hogging the whole exit when with a bit of careful driving and thought for other drivers some of the traffic could be eased here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Splendour wrote: »
    There actually is enough room at this roundabout for one car to go left onto N11 and another to go straight or right around the roundabout. It drives me crazy (no pun intended!) to see one car hogging the whole exit when with a bit of careful driving and thought for other drivers some of the traffic could be eased here.

You are right. Maybe if they painted a right and a left arrow there it would solve the problem easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Some really good ideas there!
    A green wave on the Main Street outbound towards Dublin Road would be helpful if it were possible at all. (Probably not now with the traffic -choking new pedestrian crossing at Civic centre)

If there were an opportunity to widen the road on the Vevay from Church Road Junction to McDs- by acquiring land on the west side of the road, or even getting rid of the already very narrow footpath from Marino school to St John of Gods centre. It's absolutely chock a block all the way back to even the Golf Club sometimes in the morning. Could the residents on the school's side be given parking spaces in Vevay Crescent perhaps instead of any on-street parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

You are right. Maybe if they painted a right and a left arrow there it would solve the problem easily.

Maybe you're right although shouldn't be necessary if drivers know how to use roundabouts properly!The same problem happens on the Kilcroney roundabout when coming down the hill; muppets who are going straight will sit in the middle therefore restricting traffic turning left on to the N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

a)I'd put Gardai with machine guns at two points:
    1) To confront people who take the Bray North exit, fly down the left hand side of people queuing to go right and into Bray then they themselves turn right when they get to the roundabout.
    2) To confront people who temporarily cross into the left-most lane after the M11/M50 South merge until the very last minute at the Bray North exit before "diving" back onto the M11!

b) Did I read somewhere that Herbert Road down near the N11 might become one-way away from the N11? That might not be a bad idea as it's a narrow enough road and dangerous for pedestrians/cyclists.

c) Might it make sense to mark the area around the harbour with parking spaces in parts as it really becomes a free-for-all as to where people abandon cars when it's busy! Also, did I just imagine it or did I recently see cars using a LOT of the North harbour pier for parking?

*Note the machine gun part might be a bit extreme.....

There is a ban on turning right there. There's a continuous white line in the centre of the road but I've never seen it enforced.

Actually saw two cars taking that turn but going the other way - as in they were coming down the main street and turned right onto that one way street, one after the other and then onto the Seapoint Road!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Actually saw two cars taking that turn but going the other way - as in they were coming down the main street and turned right onto that one way street, one after the other and then onto the Seapoint Road!!

See this most mornings actually, always the same cars. Well, they won't be able to do it either way for a while now until the work is done outside the Royal Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

g0g wrote: »
    a)I'd put Gardai with machine guns at two points:
    1) To confront people who take the Bray North exit, fly down the left hand side of people queuing to go right and into Bray then they themselves turn right when they get to the roundabout.
    2) To confront people who temporarily cross into the left-most lane after the M11/M50 South merge until the very last minute at the Bray North exit before "diving" back onto the M11!

b) Did I read somewhere that Herbert Road down near the N11 might become one-way away from the N11? That might not be a bad idea as it's a narrow enough road and dangerous for pedestrians/cyclists.

c) Might it make sense to mark the area around the harbour with parking spaces in parts as it really becomes a free-for-all as to where people abandon cars when it's busy! Also, did I just imagine it or did I recently see cars using a LOT of the North harbour pier for parking?

*Note the machine gun part might be a bit extreme.....

Yes, completely agree. But I'd use anti-aircraft guns rather than regular machine guns.

Have driven into Bray the last couple of days and noticed no difference between turning off at the Fassaroe exit and taking the Wilford roundabout....

I clocked two cars heading off at the northern exit and each time I was just behind them as I came up onto the DArgle bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

If you keep going straight to avoid the ramps on the lower dargle Road and go to the lights at sunnybank I always see a difference and feel it's quicker. Sometimes I go right just after fassaroe onto greenpark Road but you can be unlucky and meet a bin lorry! No lights at the end of that road.

Advertisement