Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for Cat Enclosure

• 14-04-2015 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

My cats have an enclosure already which is attached to their house. As we have a combination of cats who do/do not get on, they are on two "shifts" with respect to being outside with full access to the garden. The result is they must essentially spend half the day in the house/enclosure (flap means they have a choice to go in and out). I want to extend the enclosure they have to make it more stimulating and exciting for them, as well as more aesthetic. I would like it to add to the garden rather than being an eyesore, but more importantly I want something that will keep them amused, give them a nice space to relax and play in during the (hopefully fine) summer and allow them to express some natural behaviour.

I am on a budget and not particularly "handy". I was thinking about maybe some kind of water feature too but worried about this from a safety point of view. I would like them to have shrubs etc (which I could either buy and plant, or try to incorporate some which are already in the garden) but want to make sure there is nothing toxic/that would pose a choking hazard.

I would really appreciate any tips or ideas that anybody has :)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Height is what most cats wants so if you can add various shelves or similar at various heights and multiple routes to get around to them that would be great for cats; resting spots up high; walk ways between basically :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Nody wrote: »
    Height is what most cats wants so if you can add various shelves or similar at various heights and multiple routes to get around to them that would be great for cats; resting spots up high; walk ways between basically :)

Great idea. I had a look at some impressive enclosures online and tried to jot down a list of things from them that made them great. Sure enough they have things like you said - one had a walk way all the way from one end to the next that was a few feet off the ground. I saw a wooden step ladder too and a few had timber trellises also. Also jotted down - hammocks, wooden barrell, wooden sun lounger, hanging baskets, swinging chair... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Great idea. I had a look at some impressive enclosures online and tried to jot down a list of things from them that made them great. Sure enough they have things like you said - one had a walk way all the way from one end to the next that was a few feet off the ground. I saw a wooden step ladder too and a few had timber trellises also. Also jotted down - hammocks, wooden barrell, wooden sun lounger, hanging baskets, swinging chair... :)
    Be careful with any type of cloth beds/walkways as with weather they can weaken and break if a camp jumps/runs on it. Also keep in mind what happens if a cat jumps on something if it spins around etc. as some cats are not fan of something like that. You could also go for some lower bushes or similar with a bit of ground clearance to give shade and work as "stalking" spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Put a kennel into it as a hidey hole. Also a wild area is great, we have bamboo plants from aldi and have let them grow out of control and the cats love that area! Bay leaf trees to create a hidden corner, again somewhere like aldi will stock them at some point.

A small fountain is always good.

A herb garden, lol, it's.sure to get interest interest. At least it does in my house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Also chickens for the garden area that is not enclosed. They give hours of entertainment to my guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Two good facebook groups for ideas:

Cat Gardens, Enclosures Uk

Indoor cats UK & Republic of Ireland

And this is a good Pinterest page:

www.pinterest.com/limerickdogs/catios/

Put a kennel into it as a hidey hole. Also a wild area is great, we have bamboo plants from aldi and have let them grow out of control and the cats love that area! Bay leaf trees to create a hidden corner, again somewhere like aldi will stock them at some point.

A small fountain is always good.

A herb garden, lol, it's.sure to get interest interest. At least it does in my house!

We have two little wooden kennels in there. I might re-paint them. Often in the summer they will choose to sleep in there at night! I'd love to put a fountain in, the sound of running water is lovely :) Will look into this for them. I read somewhere that they are more likely to drink water that is running, and a lot of cats suffer from urinary tract issues because they don't drink enough water, so this would have health benefits too :)

I'll keep the bamboo and bay leaf trees in mind - there are so many plants that are not suitable for them :(

Would a fountain be safe?

Also chickens for the garden area that is not enclosed. They give hours of entertainment to my guys!

lol, unfortunately we have a terrier so chickens wouldn't last long :( We do have a bird table in front of the enclosure :)

Advertisement