Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Hero Live

Options
  • 14-04-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

Link
    Guitar Hero Live will launch later this year with a new controller peripheral, a Yahoo France report has revealed.

The report, originally published on the website of French newspaper Le Monde and now pulled offline, details a redesigned guitar controller with six black and white notes divided into two rows of three.

Another change from previous titles in the series will be a shift to first-person - letting players personify the role of a guitarist in a concert for the first time.

Activision's rhythm genre reboot is being developed by FreeStyleGames, the UK studio behind DJ Hero.

Looks like Guitar Hero is coming back, with a first-person camera and a different guitar peripheral.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That looks like a good laugh. Always liked Guitar Hero and one day wanted to be as cool as this guy (with chains and motorbike)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

ooh I'm actually kind of looking forward to it more than I thought I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

More excited for Rock Band 4 with all the backwards compatible DLC, but I'm just glad to see these music games come back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Looks very easy from what i can see going down to 3 buttons is a bit stupid. When i was playing rock band 3 back in 2010 - 2011 i was playing on export with the 5 buttons and found it hard but fun to play cutting 2 buttons out i do not like it at all just looks to easy playing with 3 notes on export all i can see it will be faster and you won't have to move your hand around like before. Like even on export its going to be like playing it on easy for people who are used to these kind of games.

Last summer i went back and played Guitar hero 6 and was playing it on export with after getting back into it after 3 songs on hard. I don't if its just me but i like my notes coming at 90 miles a hour as you feel very proud when you get a song done.

I don't know if it was just me but wasn't there quite a lot of input lag on the TV in the video ?.

Don't get me wrong i do won't the game but i don't fancy spending 100 euros on it with a guitar as the line up for music so far is bands that i love so going to be a hard one here with Rockband 4 around the corner as well.

I think it's 6 buttons instead of 5 but they are grouped into 2 rows across 3 tabs?

Song list will be the decider for me. GH 1-3 had cracking songs but this could be full of hipster shyte.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I think it's 6 buttons instead of 5 but they are grouped into 2 rows across 3 tabs?

Song list will be the decider for me. GH 1-3 had cracking songs but this could be full of hipster shyte.

Hipster Shyte is perfect for me as i love that kind of music :p

Even like that 3 bottons still beside each other imposable to get you to press the on on the top then on bottom at the same time. Still would rather the old school 5 button controller.

I say there doing this to make it different then Rock Band 4 and to get people to buy there new Guitar Classic Activision ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given that the lineup so far is confirmed to include such artists as The Killers, Fall Out Boy, Skrillex, My Chemical Romance and Ed ****ing Sheeran, a Brooklyn-heavy, hipster soundtrack would be a very pleasant alternative to what we're likely going to get :pac:

I have an inherent and semi-irrational (but also semi rational) grudge against Guitar Hero post GH2, given my strong allegiance to Harmonix. I'm more interested in Rock Band 4 at the moment given past form, but to be fair this does at least look like shaking up the formula a bit. The first person view is a neat idea, but I question how seamlessly video (if it is indeed 'live' video) will adapt based on your performance. Will be interesting to see, although the gimmick will wear off quickly if your virtual 'bandmates' are jackasses!

Edit: Just watched the gameplay video and it seems the seams are disguised with a sort of CoD-esque screen blur, which I guess does the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I can't believe they would stick with the same old dumbed down guitar version when Rocksmith came out and smashed it...showing how you can have a real guitar working properly with a game.

Though I understand the entry level would require you to have a real guitar of some sort if Guitar hero 3 were to go that way...but still.

Anyways, I've been about Rockband since it came onto the scene, I had Guitar Hero 4...but never liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I can't believe they would stick with the same old dumbed down guitar version when Rocksmith came out and smashed it...showing how you can have a real guitar working properly with a game.

Though I understand the entry level would require you to have a real guitar of some sort if Guitar hero 3 were to go that way...but still.

Anyways, I've been about Rockband since it came onto the scene, I had Guitar Hero 4...but never liked it.

It really limits the market though requiring a real guitar. I got Rocksmith and soon found out playing real guitar is hard so I stopped. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

a Brooklyn-heavy, hipster soundtrack would be a very pleasant alternative to what we're likely going to get

I for one would be against a Brooklyn hipster heavy soundtrack. Sure the music might be better but it wouldn't be much fun to play along to. The best songs for Guitar Hero were the cheese and heavy stuff. Bring back More than a Feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The first person view is a neat idea, but I question how seamlessly video (if it is indeed 'live' video) will adapt based on your performance. Will be interesting to see, although the gimmick will wear off quickly if your virtual 'bandmates' are jackasses!

The dynamic reactions of the crowd & band are an interesting idea but having to watch live footage of your bandmates/audience telling you that "you suck" could get annoying very quickly. I think if it was cgi it would be easier to laugh it off.

If the game is going to be a first person perspective then there's hardly any room for local co-op play then? I'll keep an eye on GH live but only out of curiousity. Given RB4's backward compatibility with both controllers & dlc transfer there's no contest for me in which to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Greyjoy wrote: »
    The dynamic reactions of the crowd & band are an interesting idea but having to watch live footage of your bandmates/audience telling you that "you suck" could get annoying very quickly. I think if it was cgi it would be easier to laugh it off.

That is pretty much all I took away from the reveal trailer, even when he was "rocking out" it was annoying as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think it looks awful and the artists listed above would have made it a non starter anyway. I'll pass.

They are going to need to have hours and hours of footage to stop it from becoming repetitive. I assume they'll do venue scaling too (starting in small club and moving up to stadiums and festivals).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mr E wrote: »
    They are going to need to have hours and hours of footage to stop it from becoming repetitive. I assume they'll do venue scaling too (starting in small club and moving up to stadiums and festivals).
    Or being a game maker they'll simply pretend that those 30 mins of video in loop is not going to be noted anyway and collect the cash at the door as always (being gamers means we're all whiny little brats anyway who can't appreciate how good their stuff really is)...

Me cynical? No I don't know what you're talking about...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If anything, the most distracting element of the live performances is that I can only assume the 'actors' won't be playing the actual songs? That would need dozens of hours of footage for that to be the case. It would surely be distracting if they're clearly playing a different song to the one you're performing?

I agree that it's likely to grow repetitive after a short while, but it's at least a novel idea. But it's also an idea that would need an awful lot of effort to really pull off successfully.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I for one would be against a Brooklyn hipster heavy soundtrack. Sure the music might be better but it wouldn't be much fun to play along to. The best songs for Guitar Hero were the cheese and heavy stuff. Bring back More than a Feeling.

The issue, as ever, is one of balance, and that's where Harmonix has always handled things best. Yes, the cheesy songs are fun (although the problem is most of them have been well covered in music games already), but the Rock Band setlists were always diverse, with the big hitters well countered by plenty of more imaginative choices. That might be contemporary 'hipster artists', more obscure classic rock bands, or even some international choices. Some popular choices are necessary, but it's also fun to introduce tracks that are beyond most players' immediate knowledge.

It all boils down to curation - a setlist of respectable songs that are above all satisfying to play (it's not just hair rock that can achieve that, but any songs with unique or interesting compositions). DLC is handy so people can develop more personalised playlists, but it's also satisfying to know the core songs have been chosen with care - not just big name chart successes, but instead songs that are more musically interesting and can be appreciated more through the typical GH / RB mechanics.

Mostly, as long as they aren't ****.

Picked up a few off the old guitar hero and rockband games that i missed or once traded in today as wonted to get back playing them before the relaunch later in the year.

The games got be got for crazy cheap money now. Rockband for the PS3 was only 50C also picked up Guitar hero Metallica and Guitar Hero 3 for the PS3.

Going to be a fun night for me :D.

Only thing i am not sure about is do i have batteries at home :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I thought it has been confirmed that the first person element with the FMV is the equivalent of the single player campaign, and the real meat of it is something called Guitar Hero Tv or something, more akin to the previous titles, but where you have access to "channels" of different types of music, with a certain amount being available to all, with some type of subscription / DLC model then for extra songs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It really limits the market though requiring a real guitar. I got Rocksmith and soon found out playing real guitar is hard so I stopped. :D

Did it help you to learn at all ?

I already knew how to play, so playing along was probably a lot more enjoyable for me.

First batch of songs announced.

Ed Sheeran - Sing
    American Authors - Best Day of My Life
    Jake Bugg - What Doesn't Kill You
    Gary Clark Jr - Don't Owe You a Thang
    Band of Skulls - Asleep at the Wheel
    Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
    Alter Bridge - Cry of Achilles
    Biffy Clyro - Sounds Like Balloons
    Blitz Kids - Sometimes
    The War on Drugs - Under the Pressure

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/24/guitar-hero-live-first-songs-revealed

Ah Jaysus That's shyte (imo of course). Saying that, I would actually pay for a guitar hero with nothing but Biffy Clyro.

War on Drugs is good too. 2 out of 10. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Woeful so far

They of monsters and men song is a good one the rest though ??? Much as I hate Ed Sheeran he has better songs that could go on this , and a wasted opportunity for a biffy clyro track :(

The track list has been fleshed out with a few more. Up to 24 tracks now.
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/05/12/guitar-hero-live-initial-set-list-revealed

The Black Keys - "Gold on the Ceiling"
    Blitz Kids - "Sometimes"
    Ed Sheeran - "Sing"
    Fall Out Boy - "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)”
    Gary Clark, Jr. - "Don't Owe You a Thang"
    Green Day - "Nuclear Family"
    The Killers - “When You Were Young"
    The Lumineers - "Ho Hey"
    My Chemical Romance - "Na Na Na"
    Pierce the Veil - "King for a Day (feat. Kellin Quinn)"
    The Rolling Stones - "Paint it Black"
    Skrillex - "Bangarang"
    The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure"
    Black Veil Brides - "In The End"
    Rage Against the Machine - "Guerrilla Radio"
    Judas Priest - "Breaking the Law"
    Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell"
    Sleigh Bells - "Bitter Rivals"
    System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"
    Alter Bridge - "Cry of Achilles"
    Alt-J - "Left Hand Free"
    Broken Bells - "Leave It Alone"
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Higher Ground"
    The Pretty Reckless - "Going to Hell"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Skrillex......ffs....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's like they've gone out of they're way to pick the worst, most unrecognisable songs from decent-to-shyte bands. Expect the main track list to be more of the same with the only decent tracks coming in DLC. On top of forking out around €100 for the game and peripheral, they've decided to implement the pay-to-enjoy business model. No wonder the series died, I wouldn't be surprised if this game never gets released.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mr E wrote: »
    The Rolling Stones - "Paint it Black"
    Skrillex - "Bangarang"
    Rage Against the Machine - "Guerrilla Radio"
    Judas Priest - "Breaking the Law"
    Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell"
    System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"

All pretty killer tracks I think, that's about a third of the list? I think they've made some good choices :)

Advertisement