Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway motorists really grinding my gears

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cars being pulled over for using the bus lane on Dublin Road. Nice to see it being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

From yesterdays Galway Independent paper: Garda Appointed to tackle Galway's Road Traffic

Just 1 guy to do something that should have been in place already with a team... IMO
    A dedicated Garda inspector has been appointed to tackle ongoing traffic issues in Galway City and County.
    Chief Superintendent Tom Curley confirmed at a recent Joint Policing Committee (JPC) meeting that Inspector Conor Madden has been selected to take up the position.

Inspector Madden, who will be based in Ballinasloe, will have responsibility for traffic in the whole of Galway City and County.
    Chief Superintendent Tom Curley confirmed he was appointing a dedicated inspector to deal with issues such as speeding, drink driving and mobile phone usage behind the wheel.
    For the last quarter of this year I m prioritising road traffic as one of the main aspects of policing, he said.
    We are all travelling huge kilometres every day, every week, every month and every year, and there s a lot of people who have total disregard to using the phone, speeding, seatbelts, so I think the only cure is penalty points, Chief Supt Curley added.
    In his latest Garda report, presented at the JPC meeting, Chief Supt Curley noted more than 3,000 speeding fines have been issued to motorists in Galway since the beginning of this year. Of the 3,025 fines, 2,197 involved Garda intercepting motorists.
    1,848 motorists were also stopped by Garda for using a mobile phone while driving, with a further 696 people caught without a seatbelt on.
    659 Mandatory Alcohol Test Checkpoints were also conducted throughout the city, with 3,660 breath tests performed.
    105 drink driving incidents were detected by Garda during the first eight months of the year.
    Although this was a reduction of 3 per cent, Independent Cllr Mike Cubbard branded it as 105 too many .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sniipe wrote: »
    From yesterdays Galway Independent paper: Garda Appointed to tackle Galway's Road Traffic

Just 1 guy to do something that should have been in place already with a team... IMO

They already have the Traffic Corps, and this guy will just be adding to that - the gardai have responsibility to enforce traffic law; they can't, and won't be doing anything about traffic congestion. Being cynical, this guy will just be motivating the existing traffic corps and regular gardai to increase revenue collection i.e. flash for cash and on-the-spot fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

It's amazing how little enforcement of basic road rules there is. I hope they clamp down on light jumpers too.

Zzippy wrote: »
    They already have the Traffic Corps, and this guy will just be adding to that - the gardai have responsibility to enforce traffic law; they can't, and won't be doing anything about traffic congestion. Being cynical, this guy will just be motivating the existing traffic corps and regular gardai to increase revenue collection i.e. flash for cash and on-the-spot fines.

You're right in a way, but all those people doing things like jumping lights, blocking up junctions, looking at their phones instead of driving, breaking the speed limit between junctions, etc. are massively adding to traffic congestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You're right in a way, but all those people doing things like jumping lights, blocking up junctions, looking at their phones instead of driving, breaking the speed limit between junctions, etc. are massively adding to traffic congestion.

Do you think we'll see a big increase in enforcement of those offences in the areas where they might make a difference to traffic congestion? ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do you think we'll see a big increase in enforcement of those offences in the areas where they might make a difference to traffic congestion? ;)

I'd be happy if they just clamped down on people running pedestrian lights. Just because someone doesn't get up early enough to get little Jimmys fat arse to school before work doesn't mean they can run the rest of us down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's getting a bit hairy out there lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Your Face wrote: »
    It's getting a bit hairy out there lately.

Early Movember participants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Early Movember participants?

Epic banter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This morning
    There is a collision on Ballybrit Crescent after the jct with the Monivea Rd/ Airport Rd (R339) heading towards Parkmore.
    Traffic is extremely heavy in the area as a result. Excess surface water on Bothar na dTreabh is adding to delays.
    Not too far away, Gardai are also dealing with a broken down truck on the Monivea Rd inbound after the Old Ballybrit Rd jct near the hotel.

I blame the full moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The perfect traffic storm this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

J o e wrote: »
    Another junction that causes a lot of confusion...

Suppose you're coming from Parkmore / Galway Technology Park and you want to get to Oranmore, Dublin Motorway or Old Monivea Rd / Dunnes.

As you approach the T-Junction the road splits into 2 lanes, one for left and one for right. You want to go right so take the right lane...

357890.png

You continue into the traffic and your lane selection is reinforced again...

357891.png

Now you're almost at the junction and suddenly the left lane is also for turning right. And since you're taking a left or straight at the next junction you're now in the wrong lane...

357892.png

Even the late sign is misleading as it shows both lanes leading to the N6 while the left lane is the correct lane for the N6 and the right lane will bring you in the dual carriageway towards the Tuam Road.

357893.png

They're sorting out the markings on this road today.

They've also split the road into two well defined lanes earlier (before the business park entrance), presumably to increase the capacity along that stretch and help reduce the back-up on the Parkmore roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

J o e wrote: »
    They're sorting out the markings on this road today.

They've also split the road into two well defined lanes earlier (before the business park entrance), presumably to increase the capacity along that stretch and help reduce the back-up on the Parkmore roundabout.

Unfortunatly I do not believe this will not be good for people cycling to the Parkmore area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Unfortunatly I do not believe this will not be good for people cycling to the Parkmore area.

If they dont sort out this area for Car and trucks then you'll just be cycling up to see empty building

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

If they dont sort out this area for Car and trucks then you'll just be cycling up to see empty building

Ha ha you are so funny gordongekko. Can you explain or elaborate on this further?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Found this on reddit today and it made me think of this thread. The vid is sensationalised, but I believe it to an extent. Those motorists who grind my gears the most tend to have the more expensive cars. Totally my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Those motorists who grind my gears the most tend to have the more expensive cars. Totally my opinion.

Definitely find this too. Black Audi drivers seem to be the worst offenders.

But is it owning an expensive car that makes you a more self-serving motorist, or are self-serving people more likely to become wealthy and own expensive cars... :confused: Or maybe the fees for parking and driving offences are insignificant if you're wealthy.

Advertisement