Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway motorists really grinding my gears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused:
    QB 50kph because it is in an urban area.
    BnadT is 50kph also because of the entrance to Glenburren Park. The speed limit signs are large when they change from one limit to another - small signs are used as a reminder along routes.
    If a tourist/anyone puts 'the foot down', they are deliberately committing an offence as the speed limits are highly visible. There is no excuse.
    Plenty of speed traps on QB & BnadT in the past.

I am not so sure about speed signs being 'highly visible' on the BnT Road. You come off the Tuam RA and get on the BnT Road, where is the first speed sign? How many 'reminders' are there along the way esp for people whose eyesight is not great. I don't think there are any big signs on the left of that road going into Tirellan RA. Again, correct me if I am wrong.

I never see much of a police presence checking speed on the Q Bridge I have to say.
    I am not sure what you mean by speed traps?

Are there any data available to us (from the gardai) re speeding fines & location dates/times etc etc. It would be interesting to see where/when the tickets are issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

bobbyss wrote: »
    I am not so sure about speed signs being 'highly visible' on the BnT Road. You come off the Tuam RA and get on the BnT Road, where is the first speed sign? How many 'reminders' are there along the way esp for people whose eyesight is not great. I don't think there are any big signs on the left of that road going into Tirellan RA. Again, correct me if I am wrong.
    Without commenting on the rights or wrongs of the speed limit on that road I think you're misunderstanding the way the speed limit zones and signs work. You don't get a big 50kmh sign every time you pass through a junction. You normally get a large 60kmh sign, and then a large 50kmh sign, when you enter a built up area and that speed limit applies until you leave the built up area and see a 60kmh/80kmh/100kmh sign as appropriate. If you approach what was the Font Roundabout (where the Tuam Road intersects BnT) you are already well within a 50kmh zone. If you came in the Tuam Road you were already in a 50kmh zone from Castlegar Church. If you were coming from the direction of the motorway you were in a 50kph zone from what was the Morris Roundabout (Ballybane turn off). Both of those spots have large 50kph signs. The smaller signs are a reminder that you are still in a 50kph zone. Whether you notice them or not doesn't change the fact that you should know you are in a 50kmh zone. (And if someone's eyesight is that bad that they can't see those signs then it is questionable whether their eyesight is good enough for them to be driving in the first place.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I never see much of a police presence checking speed on the Q Bridge I have to say.

Are there any data available to us (from the gardai) re speeding fines & location dates/times etc etc. It would be interesting to see where/when the tickets are issued.

There are quite a few of the smaller reminders, although I never bothered to count them.
    I find the bolded part of your post very worrying. If a driver's eyesight isn't good enough to see traffic signs, they shouldn't be on the road at all! At least not until after a trip to specsavers!

Unrealistic beat me to it! Glad I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've seen them at least 3 times in the last few weeks, that's not including other times they were general checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

There are quite a few of the smaller reminders, although I never bothered to count them.
    I find the bolded part of your post very worrying. If a driver's eyesight isn't good enough to see traffic signs, they shouldn't be on the road at all! At least not until after a trip to specsavers!

Unrealistic beat me to it! Glad I'm not alone.

I must check myself on the number of reminders there are from Tuam Road along BnT to Tirellan RA.

I couldn't agree more re eyesight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I walk and run the Q bridge regularly and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen cars pulled over by unmarked garda cars. I've also seen the guards follow a car through the lights, into the Tesco carpark and pull them over for speeding on the Q bridge.

It usually happens during quiet periods on the bridge e.g. after rush hour in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I must check myself on the number of reminders there are from Tuam Road along BnT to Tirellan RA.

I counted four of the small circular 50 km/h signs when traveling along Bothar Na dTreabh from the Tuam Rd. junction to the Kirwan Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Was traffic crazy or what this evening?? I could see so many tourists / rental cars stuck in traffic with us locals, they must have been thinking wtf. If I visited a city abroad and experienced that traffic, I would make a u turn and go to another city. This can't continue .... Our lives are miserable every evening from 4pm to 7pm ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Juran wrote: »
    Was traffic crazy or what this evening?? I could see so many tourists / rental cars stuck in traffic with us locals, they must have been thinking wtf. If I visited a city abroad and experienced that traffic, I would make a u turn and go to another city. This can't continue .... Our lives are miserable every evening from 4pm to 7pm ...

It's grand, we're getting more bus lanes, cycle paths and pavements. Getting rid of a few bridges will help too. The council have a plan. All be sorted soon.

Imelda May and Damien Dempsey are playing the big top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

FortySeven wrote: »
    It's grand, we're getting more bus lanes, cycle paths and pavements. Getting rid of a few bridges will help too. The council have a plan. All be sorted soon.
    Looking forward to your Utopian vision FortySeven ! When is all of this happening?

#GIAF + Rain + lots and lots of cars on the roads = Lots of Car Traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

galway city council + poor traffic mgt + no proper public transport system + talking about a bypass for 20 yrs instead of building one = heavy traffic

Looking forward to your Utopian vision FortySeven ! When is all of this happening?

Not my vision. Sarcasm. Check out the salmon weir bridge thread in this forum for council plan.

I reckon it will be post #19

I reckon it will be post #19

When someone mentions ladies day?

When someone mentions ladies day?

When the "Galway City Car Traffic Thread" gets locked.
    Ha ha

When the "Galway City Car Traffic Thread" gets locked.
    Ha ha

Is the moderator a cyclist or something? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

galway city council + poor traffic mgt + no proper public transport system + talking about a bypass for 20 yrs instead of building one = heavy traffic

Why would traffic going to the big top use a bypass?

Why would traffic going to the big top use a bypass?

All the traffic not going to the big top could use the bypass. You know, to avoid the traffic going to the big top.

• Advertisement

Au contraire as the French would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Pedestrian?

Shhhh we're not supposed to use the "c" word in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Do we really need another thread for FortySeven and Galwaycyclist to have it out again? Its causing congestion, i suggest a new forum for them, to allow the rest of us more freedom to move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Was it really worse than usual? I left the office at 6:15, caught the 6:05 bus which was running 10 mins late, and was inside my house before 7pm. Sure there were some queues, but they were moving. Nothing like the delays I remember from 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

traffic was absolutely brutal last night...

its seems that appointing a person to monitor/manage the traffic isn't a priority for the city council.

http://connachttribune.ie/traffic-chiefs-exit-causes-roads-chaos606/

We really can't get the basics right in Galway ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You forgot the most important problem:
    Planning. Endless sprawling houses with no infrastructure was always going to end bad.

Do we really need another thread for FortySeven and Galwaycyclist to have it out again? Its causing congestion, i suggest a new forum for them, to allow the rest of us more freedom to move around.

You mean like our very own bypass? Yipee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Was it really worse than usual?

Traffic was at standstill around the University and Hospital. Inbound traffic was stretching all the way back to St Mary's Road. I rarely recall seeing it that bad in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was on QB yesterday heading east
    ~40 vehicles queued in the left lane, no queue in the right lane.
    Cars speeding along the right lane and pushing into the left lane at the end. No shame. How can all those queuing just let them in? How frustrating is that!

Advertisement