Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway motorists really grinding my gears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I reckon it will be post #19

Scuttled by a thread merge!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Scuttled by a thread merge!

At least a bit of humour has entered the thread(s)((ss))zzz.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was on QB yesterday heading east
    ~40 vehicles queued in the left lane, no queue in the right lane.
    Cars speeding along the right lane and pushing into the left lane at the end. No shame. How can all those queuing just let them in? How frustrating is that!

Once heading east when there was a huge queue, almost going back to the Aran Islands, I got on the outside lane. I made a mental note of a coloured truck that I had passed on the inside lane. I went on outside lane turned into GSC exited Mulvoy Road and turned right towards Dunnes all done without a bother. Saw truck not making much progress.

I could have pushed my way into left turn at end of QB (instead of going into the SC) but am hugely angered by drivers who do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

We work in the same industrial estate, not in the same workplace :) We start and finish work at different, varying times, and we both don't always go home straight away. Hence, we don't car pool :)

If two people going out together, working in the same Ind Est (its not that big btw) and living together, can't work out a schedule whereby they can share a car to commute for the majority of their trips, what hope have the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MaxFlower wrote: »
    If two people going out together, working in the same Ind Est (its not that big btw) and living together, can't work out a schedule whereby they can share a car to commute for the majority of their trips, what hope have the rest of us.

:confused:
    We start and finish work at different, varying times, and we both don't always go home straight away.

That seems fairly straight forward. You hardly expect them to either arrive at work hours early or spend hours after their shift twiddling their thumbs?

Whether or not they work in the same estate, same building, or even man the same desk is totally irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You know those dispersed speed detection signs, that flash up your speed and say 'slow down' or 'thank you'..?
    Well, do they detect cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You know those dispersed speed detection signs, that flash up your speed and say 'slow down' or 'thank you'..?

where did you think you saw a speeding cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No they don't, at least they haven't detected me. And I bike fast enough to show.

They do but ya need to be going above 35km before it detects ya. That is true for the one in Ballybane/Ballybrit near McGreals.

I never did! Quelle horreur!

I disagree biko. I suspect they are because I was cycling and adjacent motorists were stuck in a jam. And the message flashed up XXkph. Thank you.
    I was chuffed.:cool:

• Advertisement

I suspect they are because I was cycling and adjacent motorists were stuck in a jam. And the message flashed up XXkph. Thank you.
    I was chuffed.:cool:

Which one was that?

Which one was that?
    Lough Atalia Road. I was cycling on the white line during static traffic.
    However the sign has since been vandalised. Maybe it was faulty

Lough Atalia Road. I was cycling on the white line during static traffic.
    However the sign has since been vandalised. Maybe it was faulty

Probably did pick you up if you were on white line. I thought that one did not have a speed feedback feature? or has it been replaced?
    For the one in Ballybrit/Ballybane need to be in the Center of the Lane to get it activated when on the bike.

Probably did pick you up if you were on white line. I thought that one did not have a speed feedback feature? or has it been replaced?...
    It did work up until recently. And yes it does have an effect on most motorists as they slow down. The nearby giant flowerbox was also vandalised.

I learned recently that these "speed detector feedback signs" also gather statistical information on speeds. So Council will know how much speeding occurs on any street that have these signs installed. I don't know does it gather this info with time stamps. Probably need to get a local Cll'r to submit a Q at the Monthly meetings to get more information from the Council Executive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They do - I got picked up coming into Oranmore from Clarinbridge when there was no other traffic on the road. A friend of mine says he's been picked up running on quiet roads too.

Am I the only one who tries to get the highest speed I can up on them speed detection signs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Am I the only one who tries to get the highest speed I can up on them speed detection signs :pac:

What's your highest?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hopefully, yes.

Probably not but essentially people like you are just making a stronger case for a permanent speed trap to be installed at this location. Council are gathering statistics on speeds at these locations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

And this is why people can't be trusted with cars....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Galway is a nice size of city for cycling. If its council would build decent infrastructure, a lot of people (not talking to OP or others with very young kids in the car) could zip around easily cycling, and those who have to drive would stop having embolism-causing gear-grinding in the traffic jams.

And of course its drivers need lessons in correct and courteous use of indicators, as do drivers all over Ireland. It's so incredibly mean to join a filtered lane and not indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This kind of thing is why you're really popular on this forum. Every time I think I can't read something dumber on boards you prove me wrong. Well done!

Zzippy wrote: »
    This kind of thing is why you're really popular on this forum. Every time I think I can't read something dumber on boards you prove me wrong. Well done!

Ah come on, it's a bit of fun and was meant to be a light hearted comment. Some of them detection signs are in fairly harmless places too especially if you are travelling late at night or in very light traffic. it's not like I was meaning one outside a school at home time. Some people really need to lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Ah come on, it's a bit of fun and was meant to be a light hearted comment. Some of them detection signs are in fairly harmless places too especially if you are travelling late at night or in very light traffic. it's not like I was meaning one outside a school at home time. Some people really need to lighten up.

I can't think of any danger involved in speeding at night.

Yes because that's exactly what I said. Also i hate the term speeding, exceeding some arbitrary number someone pulled out of their arse about 50 years ago and all the sheep think it actually mean something. Like look at the 100kmh standard speed limit, set when cars were piles of crap compared to what we drive today never mind if you drive a performance oriented car like I do where 100kmh is just ticking over and the brake discs are as big as the wheels on a lot of cars (which means the brakes are very good incase you don't get that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Let me guess, you're fast but safe right? Guys like are the problem that everyone else has to put up with on the road. Your so convinced of your own immortality that you can't concive how random chance can intervine and ruin yours or someone else's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Yes because that's exactly what I said. Also i hate the term speeding, exceeding some arbitrary number someone pulled out of their arse about 50 years ago and all the sheep think it actually mean something. Like look at the 100kmh standard speed limit, set when cars were piles of crap compared to what we drive today never mind if you drive a performance oriented car like I do where 100kmh is just ticking over and the brake discs are as big as the wheels on a lot of cars (which means the brakes are very good incase you don't get that).

Have pedestrians' and cyclists' bodies changed in the last 100 years? If you hit us with your 2-tonne car, are we now protected by a diamond-hard carapace?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I recommend a move to Germany. The Autobahn was made for you!

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Have pedestrians' and cyclists' bodies changed in the last 100 years? If you hit us with your 2-tonne car, are we now protected by a diamond-hard carapace?

While pedestrians have not got any stronger cars are designed to minimise the injury done to pedestrians so there is actually a big big difference in the injury you will get being hit by a modern car and one from 50 years ago or even 20 years ago.

That's on top of the vast difference in braking, handling (thus ability to avoid ovsticles) and lighting (making it much easier to see pedestrians in places they shouldn't be like the middle of the road). In any case if you are hit at 100kmh you might as well be hit at 200kmh you are dead either way which is another stupid thing about people's worshipping of speed limits, they assume they are save when observing them when in fact they often aren't or on the other hand it's often safe to exceed them.

Also pedestrians should not be on the road endangering themselves and then they won't need to worry about getting hurt while cyclists should be well lit and keep out of the way of cars as much as possible.
    I recommend a move to Germany. The Autobahn was made for you!

Our motorways are better roads than a lot of the autobahns why do you think it's safe there but not here?

Advertisement