Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling - Suggestions

Options
  • 14-04-2015 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I've been going through a nightmare of a purchase. I've either got vendors that are borderline morons or they've hired a solicitor that simply can't be arsed. So here's what I wish had been checked before I'd embarked on this odyssey of despair.

Solicitor This can't be overstated. If you pay peanuts you'll get a monkeys. Monkeys which will take weeks to get anything done. I've been pretty willing to deal with most things that have come up but not getting word back has been the biggest issue. Thankfully the vendors have an excellent agent that is holding things together and keeping the lines of communication open.

If a solicitor takes more than a day or so to get back to you, can them ASAP. How will you know, well I suggest having contact with them before you sell as below.

Agent The amount of these guys that don't return calls is unbelievable. That's limiting your potential market. I've been very tempted to pull out of the sale I'm agreed on and go for a house just down the road. Can I get a call back, can I... My suggestion is pose as a buyer for a week or so see who has someone in the office full-time, see who returns calls.

Freehold/Leasehold You'd be surprised the amount of people that don't know if their home is freehold or leasehold. Find out before you go to market and ideally convert to Freehold, it's usually a reasonably cheap and painless process but it takes a lot of time. If you've less than 70 years left to run you have no choice unless you are limiting yourself to cash buyers.

Boundaries Head these issues off at the pass. Know what your boundary is on the folio map, not what you think it should be. Have declarations in place and go into the sale with these out in the open. You gain nothing from hiding this unless your buyer is an idiot that can't place a line on a map.

Party Wall agreements Not us but my brother-in-law here pulled out of a sale because of this. Get this sorted well in advance of sale. Many extensions don't require planning permission, but if they go right to the boundary there should be a party wall agreement in place. If your neighbour starts building make sure you get on to a solicitor ASAP. Through no fault of your own you could end up with a huge mess if you need to sell.

Title Deeds/Planning Restrictions/LPT Have all this ready to go.

There are an increasing number of people going sale agreed on a number of properties and pulling out. I don't blame them, I wish I had in some respects. If you're organised and ready to go you can discover this quickly or be the one that goes through. There's a lot of shenanigans on both sides but vendors aren't helping themselves IMHO. If you need time to move out you can always sign contracts and push out the closing date.

Advertisement