Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yes Equality Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Cllr. Roderic O'Gorman canvassing at the train station this morning.

I've seen him on twitter and Facebook - he's out in the evenings and the weekends, and doing litter pickups on the canal, AND now canvassing in the mornings, fair play Roderic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Saw those hateful no posters being put up around the Snugborough Road /N3/Shopping Centre junction on Wednesday night. Came through it last night and they'd disappeared. What a pity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

If the yes ones "disappeared"

Would it be

"What a pity" ?

jeffk wrote: »
    If the yes ones "disappeared"

Would it be

"What a pity" ?

Haven't seen any off topic or misleading yes posters.

I heard rumours of a yes equality pop up shop in Blanchardstown centre akin to the one in St Stephen 's Green. Anyone know if it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

athtrasna wrote: »
    Haven't seen any off topic or misleading yes posters.

I heard rumours of a yes equality pop up shop in Blanchardstown centre akin to the one in St Stephen 's Green. Anyone know if it's true

Just curious as seems in general everyone finds it great when the no side posters are ripped down(video evidence on Facebook/net)

Yet the whole process is meant to be based on equality

• Advertisement

Personally I think no one should remove those No posters - think they are doing more bad than good for the No side.

athtrasna wrote: »

Oh that'd be great. But no I have not heard a dickie bird about this. Where did you see or hear these rumours?

Just curious as seems in general everyone finds it great when the no side posters are ripped down(video evidence on Facebook/net)

I guess people just find them really mean, offensive and upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Who in general? I haven't seen a single Yes campaigner praise any incidence of posters being removed in fact I have seen repeated and impassioned calls from every high profile yes campaigner to leave all posters alone and to engage with civility those on the no side.

We can all agree taking down no posters is the wrong thing to do and its stupid but lets not jump the shark here it in no way equates to state enforced discrimination which is afterall what the no side argue in favour of maintaining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

amdublin wrote: »
    Personally I think no one should remove those No posters - think they are doing more bad than good for the No side.

Agree 100% - the No posters would not be their campaign manager's finest hour. You can almost smell the stink of red herring from them.

I would also encourage people not to remove posters - however tempting

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

I'm voting NO !

Fuseman wrote: »
    I'm voting NO !

Care to tell us why?

The existing civil partnership ceremony in Ireland already allows a same-sex couple to stand before family, society, and law, and say ‘I do'. Redefining the family unit as it has been traditionally known for me is not right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Fair play to you for voicing a no vote on a very partisan Yes thread!
    Tell me this though, if civil partnership is fine, why doesn't everyone have a civil partnership then, why bother with marriage at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The existing civil partnership ceremony in Ireland already allows a same-sex couple to stand before family, society, and law, and say ‘I do'. Redefining the family unit as it has been traditionally known for me is not right.

So you'll agree that civil partnership is not the same as marriage?

Thanks for replying.

Are you aware of the substantial differences between marriage and civil partnership?

So you'll agree that civil partnership is not the same as marriage?

Of course it's not the same !! And it shouldn't be treated the same. I'm all for equal rights but there has to be special provisions for an institution that have be around from the beginning of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Of course it's not the same !! And it shouldn't be treated the same. I'm all for equal rights but there has to be special provisions for an institution that have be around from the beginning of time

Why? Marriage has changed constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Marriage hasn't been around since the beginning of time :rolleyes:

Thanks for replying.

Are you aware of the substantial differences between marriage and civil partnership?

No worries...Give me 5 differences so please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What instituition?

I'd love to join a club that had dinosaurs.

What instituition?

I'd love to join a club that had dinosaurs.

The institution of Marriage.

No worries...Give me 5 differences so please!

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/noel-whelan-what-s-the-difference-between-civil-partnership-and-marriage-1.2195514

http://www.marriagequality.ie/download/xls/marriage_equality_missing_pieces_audit_full_list.xls

The second link there will download a spreadsheet identifying over 100 differences.

Fuseman if civil partnership and marriage were legal identical in all but name would you be okay with that?

Gaspode wrote: »
    Agree 100% - the No posters would not be their campaign manager's finest hour. You can almost smell the stink of red herring from them.

I would also encourage people not to remove posters - however tempting

They're back!! Same lads and their ladder put them up tonight, a few of them questionably low. The no campaign seem to have a lot of money!
    Oh that'd be great. But no I have not heard a dickie bird about this. Where did you see or hear these rumours?
    Friend mentioned it Thursday afternoon and saw something on FB last night, not sure Veritas would be too happy if one opened in the centre though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

To the best of my knowledge, all the new posters up around Limerick are discussing issues not in the referendum, so they shouldn't be allowed to be put up...Some of them are so far off point, they may as well read

"Vote No, Because if You don't God is going to eat your babies"

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

It's ironic that Fuseman is the cool edgy one that nobody agrees with.Stick with it Fuseman...it goes in cycles.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Please remember that all comments should be directed at what a person posts, rather than the actual poster. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iatethepies

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/noel-whelan-what-s-the-difference-between-civil-partnership-and-marriage-1.2195514

http://www.marriagequality.ie/download/xls/marriage_equality_missing_pieces_audit_full_list.xls

The second link there will download a spreadsheet identifying over 100 differences.

Fuseman if civil partnership and marriage were legal identical in all but name would you be okay with that?

Thanks for providing the links, I've been trying to figure out the distinction between Civil Partnership and marriage for a while.

Truthfully though, some of the differences listed in the excel seem trivial to the point of being nonsense 'A marriage cert can be used as ID'.

Some seem to be favourable to Civil Partnership, divorce after 2 years instead of 4, regulations to do with grants/legal aid being measured against spouses income.

I know you were just answering the question in relation to differences between the two but could you maybe do a cheat sheet for the likes of me and highlight the main distinctions?

Unfortunately, at the moment, I'm not really sure what I'm voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I know you were just answering the question in relation to differences between the two but could you maybe do a cheat sheet for the likes of me and highlight the main distinctions?

For the likes of you? WTF

Youre clearly not an idiot, just lazy, get a sense of civic duty and do your own bloody research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Unfortunately, at the moment, I'm not really sure what I'm voting for.

Me too.

Seems to be an awful lot of fuss about a relatively trivial thing, i.e. the name of the ceremony, calling it a marriage, or a civil partnership. What's the difference. Political Correctness gone mad.

I honestly don't see the difference between a marriage and a civil partnership.

As for the other referendum, the one that no one is talking about. "Jedward for President". Could the Government not have come up with something more serious for the citizens to vote on.

We must have very little to occupy ourselves if these are the two most pressing and important issues that we have to worry about

Advertisement