Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yes Equality Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yes Canvassers are starting from Clonsilla Inn tomorrow at 7pm https://www.yesequality.ie/canvass/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Won't make it this week but I'm definitely in for nights next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Yes Equality bus will be at the centre tomorrow from 10-12 tomorrow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Gots me some badges. Thanks Bobblehead Panda!

I wanted to head up to get some badges but I've no car at the moment and by the time I was ready to head out the bus wouldn't have got me there on time. :( The badge search continues!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Dublin West canvass team will be meeting on Saturday morning at 11am at the Paddocks Pub in Clonee for any D15ers out that want to get involved :)

I wanted to head up to get some badges but I've no car at the moment and by the time I was ready to head out the bus wouldn't have got me there on time. :( The badge search continues!!

Ah crap if I'd known I would have got you some they gave me 10 but I have them gone now. I got the ones in Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Great...I'll have the eggs ready if ye call :-)
    The Dublin West canvass team will be meeting on Saturday morning at 11am at the Paddocks Pub in Clonee for any D15ers out that want to get involved :)

Fuseman wrote: »
    Great...I'll have the eggs ready if ye call :-)

:rolleyes:

let's hope none of them have an egg allergy. In fairness it was a horrible thing to do and it just goes to show that some people thing a bit of egg on the face is no harm. But having children out canvassing isn't really right either.

January wrote: »
    Ah crap if I'd known I would have got you some they gave me 10 but I have them gone now. I got the ones in Irish.

Thanks anyway. :) I was in town so I bought a couple in the shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I was out this evening! My first ever and it was fantastic.

We did portersgate and mount symon. The leaders called it a day at 8.30 I would have kept going all night!!!!

There are some great people out there.

Anyone got the time on Saturday or next week evening come join! It's a fantastic experience. And hopefully we will win and you know you will have helped.

Cannot reccomend my experience enough.

I'm away this weekend but will get out some eves next weekend.

If you're free please go along to this. You'll be matched up to an experienced person and the people were all just so nice. It's great exchanging stories along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I cannot campaign as I'm involved in the administration of the poll, but I'd like to say well done to everyone who gave their time.

I don't agree with defacing posters and any other undemocratic acts, but some of the 'No' posters I saw being erected between Clonee and Dunboyne last night were so disingenuous its not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I usually associate religions nuts with forcing their opinions and will on people and no doubt a lot of them are associated with the no side. In the last two weeks I've noticed a similar mob mentality coming form the what I can only assume is the yes campaign or yes voters.

I read a lot of the comments online directed against Ger Brennan for expressing a fairly well thought out reason for his decision to go with a no vote, in the same way others expressed well thought out reasons for a yes vote.

Then there is the no posters that are are systematically being pulled down or defaced on every occasion they go up.

If people who are voting yes feel they are fighting the good fight, then I cannot understand the aggressive mob mentality online against people or campaigns that don't agree with them.

What I've noticed lately is anti-democratic and flies in the face of equality as in equality to choose and vote as one pleases.

I'm starting to wonder if the messing will affect peoples decision on what way to vote or even whether to vote at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I usually associate religions nuts with forcing their opinions and will on people and no doubt a lot of them are associated with the no side. In the last two weeks I've noticed a similar mob mentality coming form the what I can only assume is the yes campaign or yes voters.

We are in the middle of a referendum campaign. Of course people are going to strongly campaign one way or the other.
    I read a lot of the comments online directed against Ger Brennan for expressing a fairly well thought out reason for his decision to go with a no vote, in the same way others expressed well thought out reasons for a yes vote.

Except for he didn't. He didn't remotely. He repeated falsities, he included aspects that have nothing to do with the referendum and in radio interviews subsequently he directly contradicted both the Referendum Commission and The Adoption Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

against Ger Brennan for expressing a fairly well thought out reason

The problem was that it wasn't that well thought out, but had contradictions and irrelevance. People also had an issue with him not declaring that he's a religion teacher and studied theology, but rather his views were promoted as a view of a "Dublin footballer".

We are in the middle of a referendum campaign. Of course people are going to strongly campaign one way or the other.

Except for he didn't. He didn't remotely. He repeated falsities, he included aspects that have nothing to do with the referendum and in radio interviews subsequently he directly contradicted both the Referendum Commission and The Adoption Authority.

He detailed well thought out reasons for himself. He was entitled to form his own opinions as he wishes and you are also entitled agree or disagree with them. The abuse he got online was actually unbelievable.

Do you think any of it will impact on peoples decisions for the 23rd?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The problem was that it wasn't that well thought out, but had contradictions and irrelevance. People also had an issue with him not declaring that he's a religion teacher and studied theology, but rather his views were promoted as a view of a "Dublin footballer".

Sure quite a lot of people have been given opinion pieces on the matter from both sides (It seems well known people's opinions are worth more that ours :-) ). I've enjoyed reading the arguments, but listen, everyone to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

He detailed well thought out reasons for himself. He was entitled to form his own opinions as he wishes and you also of course entitled agree or disagree with them. The abuse he got online was actually unbelievable.

Do you think any of it will impact on peoples decisions for the 23rd?

They were not well thought out. He made false claims (whether deliberately or through misinformation I don't know). He involved elements that have no relevance to the referendum. He is entitled to his own opinion as I am to scrutinize and debunk his opinion especially when it includes so many falsities.

I think some people looking for an excuse to vote no will take this opportunity yes.

They were not well thought out. He made false claims (whether deliberately or through misinformation I don't know). He involved elements that have no relevance to the referendum. He is entitled to his own opinion as I am to scrutinize and debunk his opinion especially when it includes so many falsities.

I think some people looking for an excuse to vote no will take this opportunity yes.

PS: I meant the 22nd, not 23rd of course. long day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sure quite a lot of people have been given opinion pieces on the matter from both sides (It seems well known people's opinions are worth more that ours :-) ). I've enjoyed reading the arguments, but listen, everyone to their own.

Having an opinion is fine, but when your opinion is based on falsehood expect it to be torn asunder, especially if you put it in national media and use your privileged position to promote it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Having an opinion is fine, but when your opinion is based on falsehood expect it to be torn asunder, especially if you put it in national media and use your privileged position to promote it.

I agree with you 100%, but i felt the yes campaign had the moral high ground throughout. the yes side has become a mob mentality also - but of course not everyone from the yes side is involved in any mob mentality, but it's there and the spraying of posters that are no posters is bananas. That loses the moral high ground, to what degree i do not know and it is anti democratic because that's silencing anothers argument no matter how bananas that argument is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I read a lot of the comments online directed against Ger Brennan for expressing a fairly well thought out reason for his decision to go with a no vote

Lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I agree with Chuck on the vandalism thing. WTF are these people thinking? Sure the posters are disingenuous and misleading in the extreme but it is not acceptable in any way to deface or remove them however tempting.
    That undemocratic and intolerant behaviour could well backfire on the yes side.

People keep on going on about "all the abuse" Ger Brennan got.

I posted about him on twitter (that he was wrong) and during the day went through twitter. I didn't see "vitriolic abuse" as one twitter user said he was getting. I saw 3/4 tweets which could only be described as vaguely abusive - calling him a clown for example.

What I did see were alot of people refuting what he said. Which by the way was a complete brain dump of everything iona have been saying recently.
    I fear for his students that as a teacher he can't even formulate his own (correct) opinions.

And finally I think the poster defacing is a disgrace. Everyone in the canvas with me the other night said the same - we are all about a "postive campaign" as said by Roderic O'Gorman while talking us through the ins and outs of canvassing :)

#MakeGraTheLaw

Anyone know what the plan is/where meeting tonight??

Was going to do just Tuesday night but considering all the polls I think the more people on the ground the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

6.45 at the Paddocks, Little Pace

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

amdublin wrote: »
    People keep on going on about "all the abuse" Ger Brennan got.

I posted about him on twitter (that he was wrong) and during the day went through twitter. I didn't see "vitriolic abuse" as one twitter user said he was getting. I saw 3/4 tweets which could only be described as vaguely abusive - calling him a clown for example.

Being told you're wrong and being shown the proof apparently qualifies as abuse these days....

Meanwhile Panti was getting death threats over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

amdublin wrote: »
    Anyone know what the plan is/where meeting tonight??

Was going to do just Tuesday night but considering all the polls I think the more people on the ground the better.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin-West-YesEquality/326541034204698?fref=ts

Mon 18th - 6:45pm - The Paddocks Pub, Littlepace
    Tue 19th - 6:45pm - Clonsilla Inn, Clonsilla Village
    Wed 20th - 6:45pm - Hartstown House, Hartstown
    Thurs 21st - 6:45pm - TBC

• Advertisement

So apparently panti is canvassing in Clonee tonight!!!!!!

And I had already confirmed I was going this morn!

Can't believe it!

Advertisement