Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yes Equality Campaign

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm sick of the campaigning. If someone has decided to vote yes, they will vote yes. If they want to vote no, they will vote no. There not going to change peoples mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think at this stage it's more about making sure people just get out & vote. Apathy might just be the winner of both referenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Definitely at this stage about getting the message out to make sure you come and vote.

So did I mention that I'm gonna meet Rory O'Neill tonight?!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

amdublin wrote: »
    Definitely at this stage about getting the message out to make sure you come and vote.

So did I mention that I'm gonna meet Rory O'Neill tonight?!!!!

I'd love to be there but I'm having awful problems with my knees again, can barely walk. Sure Rory cancels me out ;)

I'm in bed with a nurofen - something about all that walking on the cement hurts my back.

But all that walking and knocking on doors is what will hopefully get us the yes votes on Friday.

As for Rory O'Neill he's just fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

I'm sick of the campaigning. If someone has decided to vote yes, they will vote yes. If they want to vote no, they will vote no. There not going to change peoples mind.

You're wrong. There's a lot of people wavering on a yes who are being scared into nonsense, ill-informed opinions, who need to be told the facts because they haven't bothered researching them themselves.

For example, a friend of mine, who was voting yes, decided to vote no because she feared gay couples would be involved in an adopting free for all. When it was explained to her that a. Gay couples can already adopt and b. adopting in this country is ridiculously difficult anyway, she was quickly back to a yes.

The No side are doing a good job of swaying people who are naive and easily frightened. Canvassing is hugely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dobbit wrote: »
    There's a lot of people wavering on a yes who are being scared into nonsense, ill-informed opinions, who need to be told the facts because they haven't bothered researching them themselves.

I'll be a yes voter.

However, the worst mistake many Yes promoters are making is to demean the opinions of No voters, or people who are undecided. Suggesting that your persuasion is "the facts" will only drive people in the opposite direction.

The No campaign are gaining some ground with what are undoubtedly spurious issues, however if a person is of the belief that marriage has always been an institution between a man and a woman and that should not change, it is neither a nonsense nor ill-informed, its a viewpoint of equal validity.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll be a yes voter.

However, the worst mistake many Yes promoters are making is to demean the opinions of No voters, or people who are undecided. Suggesting that your persuasion is "the facts" will only drive people in the opposite direction.

The No campaign are gaining some ground with what are undoubtedly spurious issues, however if a person is of the belief that marriage has always been an institution between a man and a woman and that should not change, it is neither a nonsense nor ill-informed, its a viewpoint of equal validity.

What part of
    1. Gay couples can already adopt
    2. Adoption is very hard in Ireland
    are not facts?

That particular person was mislead on one very specific issue by mention of adoption on the no side. I never said she believes marriage is between a man and a woman.

Don't try to twist what I'm saying into an attack on a wider viewpoint that I never once mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Larbre34 wrote: »
    if a person is of the belief that marriage has always been an institution between a man and a woman and that should not change, it is neither a nonsense nor ill-informed, its a viewpoint of equal validity.

That would be fine. If someone was saying to me "Look, I just don't like it. The idea of gay people being married isn't nice when I picture it in my head. So i'm voting no" that would be grand.

But it's when they come out with all of this "children" and "surrogacy" stuff, it's disingenuous and, in places, downright lying. It makes their viewpoint invalid.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That would be fine. If someone was saying to me "Look, I just don't like it. The idea of gay people being married isn't nice when I picture it in my head. So i'm voting no" that would be grand.

But it's when they come out with all of this "children" and "surrogacy" stuff, it's disingenuous and, in places, downright lying. It makes their viewpoint invalid.

^This

There's not a lot of facts you can quote to someone who just doesn't like the idea of gay people getting married and that it should be just for opposite gender couples.

It's the people who believe things that can be countered with facts that I would be more likely to spend time educating in the days we have left before Friday.

• Advertisement

So my back is fine this morning. But one of my knees is really painful :(

More importantly who's out tonight??

6.45 at the clonsilla inn see u there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Would you mind pm'ing me the area that you'll be canvassing tonight? I'd love to help, I've to check with work first that it's ok to do it.

Would you mind pm'ing me the area that you'll be canvassing tonight? I'd love to help, I've to check with work first that it's ok to do it.

Im not sure of the specific area December. But it must be in the clonsilla area as we are meeting at the clonsilla inn.

What happens is that we meet and then walk to area we are doing. For example last week we met at Inn and them walked and did portersgate and mount symon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Here's the facebook for details:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublin-West-YesEquality/326541034204698?fref=ts

An incredible turnout again this eve.

Our group had a 67% positive reaction (yeses) but bear in mind had a lot of houses which didn't answer. Plus there was differences from just one estate to another.

Tomorrow is last (currently anyway) formalised d15 canvass. Meet at 6.45 at the Hartstown Inn.

There is talk of a 7am canvass at leaflet handout at ashtown station on Thursday.

I met another great bunch of people again. Well done everyone.

I won't get out again but anyone thinking going I'd urge you to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd love to be able to but getting out without kids atm is impossible as husband works evenings and I don't believe in bringing kids out canvassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Anyone else get the very heavy glossy leaflet from Standup4marriage.ie in their door today? A nasty no leaflet masquerading as a reasonable fair voice. Alas no postal address for me to return it to.

See the fb page today for a photo of just one group - we were split into three last night.

There were nearly 80 canvassers in total. How amazing is that?

Anyone voted yet? How's the turnout looking?

Anyone voted yet? How's the turnout looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I went into Huntstown and was fairly busy at 7:30am.
    I'm comparing it to other elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

One of the the first at mochtas, was picking up when I left

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Just been to vote in Hartstown. Steady stream of voters there and the people at our table said it had been very busy since they opened.

Brisk voting in mountview

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm seeing reports on Twitter about turnouts in other areas. Anyway to find out how Dublin west is doing?

I'm seeing reports on Twitter about turnouts in other areas. Anyway to find out how Dublin west is doing?

Tj clare (ind) and Roderic O'Gorman (green party) lead the canvassing, u could tweet them???

Report back here if you find out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I went into Huntstown and was fairly busy at 7:30am.
    I'm comparing it to other elections.

Huntstown. 7.55am. Me and 3 others. Passed one or two on entry / exit. Very quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tallies have Dublin West at 75% Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Absolutely delighted :D

• Advertisement

Dublin west has done us proud.

It's a great day!!!

Advertisement