Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post customer service

Options
  • 14-04-2015 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have just received a reply from An Post customer service and it left a sour taste in the mouth. Last week I wrote to their email complaining about the poor delivery service (classic case: Online tracking said 'Out for Delivery', I waited for the buzzer but there was none, and when I went to check online it said 'No answer at address' and a notice to pick up at depot was left in the postbox. And I was home the ENTIRE day, and buzzer was not faulty). There were some rare times that delivery was successful, but most times I was stuck with having to go to the depot to pick it up, so this wasn't the first time. But I felt enough was enough (I paid for delivery, why should I have to drive to the depot?) and did the deed of writing in.

When they actually responded a week later I was surprised (I had half expected it to be ignored or discarded). They said they had forwarded the complaint to the Delivery Service Manager at the branch in question. The next day I got an email, which made my stomach sink to the depths of the earth.

An Post said that the manager had come back to them and said that he spoke to the postman in question. I quote: "He (the postman) in turn has said that he knows you and he claims that if the CCTV footage is checked it will show him clearly press the bell , wait a while and then fill out the delivery notice." And the email ended with An Post asking me to ask my estate management for CCTV footage to clarify if "this is or isn’t the case."

I am UTTERLY disappointed. There are so many things wrong with this reply. And their reply has made me very very uncomfortable.

It appears that in this case, An Post is not concerned about the interests of their customers, but of their employee(s). Even if the postman had made the mistake, could he bring himself to admit it (it will have repercussions for him, obviously)? It seems like the onus is now on me to 'prove' that my allegations are true, which then implies that I was lying in my complaint (!!)

And what's with telling me that the postman 'knows me'? Is it some sort of veiled threat? I really feel An Post could have practiced some discretion here. I know they need to know who the person behind the complain is (I even provided my address and contact details) but I really feel that the postman did not necessarily have to know. Because now he knows exactly who lodged the complaint. I do not always pander to paranoia but I now feel rather unsafe. What if he feels begrudged? Will it effect my future deliveries? Have I incurred the wrath of someone who might retaliate? Who knows?

Would like to know what you think. Was An Post justified in how they responded? I'm not sure what to do, or if I should even bother with the CCTV. I feel that by lodging a complaint I have come out on the losing side (which then made me regret ever writing the complaint in the first place).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

"Know you" is not a threat but just confirmation that the postman knows the customer in question. Checking the CCTV coverage is actually a good idea and may help your complaint. I think you are probably reading more into the reply than is there or was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tbh it reads as if you're blowing this out of proportion, There is no threat, veiled or otherwise. All An Post are saying is that the postman knows your address (naturally given his job) and that it has CCTV which could possibly settle the matter one way or another. The fact that the letter even states this demonstrates they're investigating your complaint fairly rather that simply assuming your version of events is the one and only correct version. Their employee is refuting your accusations so in fairness it really is up to you to back up your case. People can be mistaken, it doesn't imply they're liars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Excellent response from an post imo. I don't see what the op is complaining about.

An post have investigated it, postman has said he did everything right. An post asking you if you can obtain proof via cctv that operates to further your claims. Excellent diligent response.

if you are so certain you didn't miss the bell and postman didn't attempt delivery, why not check the cctv?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

How else would An Post investigate it if they didnt give the postman the details ?

They cant say that some random person at a random address complained and expect the postman to make a defence of the allegation.

As above its a good and timely response from An Post, it was investigated promptly and the postman has denied the allegation and has noted that the CCtv will back up his claim.

There are many occasions that "I was there all day (well apart from when I nipped down to get milk and bring the kids to school and oh i forgot about the 30 mins in the shower when i wouldnt have heard the buzzer) excuse " is found to have holes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

An Post can't use this as an excuse. Are they going to ask every house in the country to install cctv so they can keep track of their employees?

• Advertisement

boardzz wrote: »
    An Post can't use this as an excuse. Are they going to ask every house in the country to install cctv so they can keep track of their employees?

Of course they won't but they knew this place had cameras and, as the postman is sure he rang, they suggested the cameras be checked. Quite reasonable. Where did they use CCTV coverage as an excuse???

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

What do you suggest they do so instead?

The postman gains nothing by not delivering the letter or parcel. It is actually more work and inconvenience for him to not deliver something as he:
    • Then has to carry the parcel or letter with him for the rest of his route
    • Has to hand write out a docket and post it in the door of the property anyway
    • Return to the local delivery office after his deliveries are finished to drop the undelivered parcel/letter in to be available for collection.

If the postman wants to speed up his rounds he will just pop in the green delivery notice instead of waiting for people to put on their shoes and walk down four flights of stairs to collect the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

How likely are the management company to provide footage to the op of a third party on the premises. Is there data protection issue, regarding the postman. Would the postman not have to make the request. Not taking side with anyone by the way.

If the postman wants to speed up his rounds he will just pop in the green delivery notice instead of waiting for people to put on their shoes and walk down four flights of stairs to collect the parcel.

Yeah because everyone lives on the 4th floor and walks around their home barefoot. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Kop On wrote: »
    What do you suggest they do so instead?

The postman gains nothing by not delivering the letter or parcel. It is actually more work and inconvenience for him to not deliver something as he:
    • Then has to carry the parcel or letter with him for the rest of his route
    • Has to hand write out a docket and post it in the door of the property anyway
    • Return to the local delivery office after his deliveries are finished to drop the undelivered parcel/letter in to be available for collection.

Its quite common for posties to not bring parcels with them because they are aware of people not being at home or living in apartments that dont bother to answer the buzzer.

I've caught out postie out once or twice like this. Been expecting something so purposely worked from home to be there for the delivery only to have postie stick the prewritten form into the letter box. Caught up with postie asking for the parcel only to be told "its been left in the depot...didnt think you'd be in". :(

daheff wrote: »
    I've caught out postie out once or twice like this. Been expecting something so purposely worked from home to be there for the delivery only to have postie stick the prewritten form into the letter box. Caught up with postie asking for the parcel only to be told "its been left in the depot...didnt think you'd be in". :(

So did it happen once or twice exactly?

I presume you contacted customer services to inform this of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

So did it happen once or twice exactly?

I presume you contacted customer services to inform this of this?

Twice

I brought the docket back to the sorting office and told them of such. When I mentioned it to them I got a "hrump" out of the person manning the office and that was as much as they cared or did for me.

Once the office tried to tell me they wouldnt be able to give me the parcel as the postie had it with him on his rounds. After explaining to them he hadnt and pointing out the parcel behind them(!) i was given the parcel.

Yeah because everyone lives on the 4th floor and walks around their home barefoot. :rolleyes:

No not everyone. Just some.
    Add it all up and it could cut off an hour.

PS. Why are you making a discussion into and argument?

No not everyone. Just some.
    Add it all up and it could cut off an hour.

PS. Why are you making a discussion into and argument?

I'm not but I considered what you posted a silly generalisation that's all. An Post deliver countrywide not just to people living on the 4th floor of apartment complexes in a city.

Also, you've just plucked the figure of "an hour" out of thin air. To write dockets and then return to a depot with undelivered items would surely take longer than just delivering them in the first instance.

Are you aware that some postmen have a route that are ONLY apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Your next step is to check the cctv. Maybe the postman did press the buzzer, maybe he pressed the wrong buzzer or maybe he did not and by asking for the CCTV camera film that he feels you will drop the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I suspected for a long time that our postman was shortening his day by putting a slip in the letterbox rather than waiting on me to the answer the door. I managed to catch him in the act one morning and his excuse was that he has been delivering to our house for years and that we were usually out at this time. Total b*ll****.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - let's stick to the specific topic at hand and not turn this into another "my experience with An Post" - we have a big thread somewhere else full of those experiences.

dudara

Just wondering if the OP has checked the CCTV coverage yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement