Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a qualified Maths teacher with a social science degree

Options
  • 14-04-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am qualified secondary school teacher however I am only recognised to teach CSPE in Ireland as my undergraduate degree is social science. I have been both onto the National Teaching Council and Open University and the options they are giving are not great. I have been told that I can do a Honours degree in Maths or a Diploma in Higher Education in Maths both of these are offered in Open University however they cost on average about 10000-16000 pounds. This is just too expensive and I am unable to afford it. The NTC told me that an option that many teachers do is to do specific modules such as essential maths 1 and 2 or pure maths and work up the required 60 ECT credits, however if I do this they told me that they would not recognised me to teach Maths as I will only get a certificate from it and I need to have a degree. Does anyone any experience or advice on where I should go from here?

Advertisement