Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling products online

Options
  • 14-04-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey,

Interested in setting up a store online selling some products.

Can anybody tell me do I need to register as a business and does this involve paying tax? Can I do this outside my job without registering etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/setting_up_a_business_in_ireland.html

Lots of info there. It will probably be worth your while doing a start your own business course at your local enterprise office. You will need to register a business name and may need to register for vat depending on turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ciangk

jimmii wrote: »

Lots of info there. It will probably be worth your while doing a start your own business course at your local enterprise office. You will need to register a business name and may need to register for vat depending on turnover.

Thanks for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gareth Sherry

yes you can just start selling without registering as a business.

However you need to record your income and file in a self assessed tax return at the year end filing date.

Any accountant could help you with this.

You also need to consider VAT implications. If you end up selling over €75k per year you would need to register for VAT.

I would not recommend setting up a company until you know it's going to work and are doing worthwhile sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ciangk

yes you can just start selling without registering as a business.

However you need to record your income and file in a self assessed tax return at the year end filing date.

Any accountant could help you with this.

You also need to consider VAT implications. If you end up selling over €75k per year you would need to register for VAT.

I would not recommend setting up a company until you know it's going to work and are doing worthwhile sales.

This is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Gareth!

Advertisement