Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded wait after mature entry test.

• 14-04-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for an answer to a burning question.

Recently did the mature entry exam for Early Childhood Learning a few weeks back, something that many have said is difficult to get in to. The entry exam is used to whittle down for interviews. I am wondering if anyone has an idea for the turn around to hear back if the entry exam was good enough/ not good enough to make the cut. I suppose in the back of my mind was an experience of applying to a college a few years ago and they didn't bother to respond, meaning I only knew I hadn't gotten in when no offer appeared in the summer.Rather know, even if it is rejection, so I can move on and plan different.

So, do the college contact you if you are unsuccessful, or does the recent Easter break mean I am unlikely to hear anything for a few weeks yet. Just trying to put plans in place for the future and knowing if I am on that possible path.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Hi racersedge,

Know exactly how you feel.
    I did an exam a few weeks back and like yourself I was wondering how soon it would be for to have some sort of reply.
    I'd say the Easter hols didn't help.
    From what I can gather from talking to others is that its a tedious process, they need to get it right and I've decided to just be patient (that was after watching the postman for the week afterwards/checking email...).
    Still, it is nerve wracking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

At least I am not alone! I actually ended up emailing the admissions office to see if they had even sent anything out. They have to reply. Tempted for give them a call just to suss it out really.

But yeah, least I am not alone in the wait. And I'd like to think that at least if one boardsie got a positive note, we would here about it here.

Thanks for your own update and should I hear anything, I'll be sure to update this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

racersedge wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for an answer to a burning question.

Recently did the mature entry exam for Early Childhood Learning a few weeks back, something that many have said is difficult to get in to. The entry exam is used to whittle down for interviews. I am wondering if anyone has an idea for the turn around to hear back if the entry exam was good enough/ not good enough to make the cut. I suppose in the back of my mind was an experience of applying to a college a few years ago and they didn't bother to respond, meaning I only knew I hadn't gotten in when no offer appeared in the summer.Rather know, even if it is rejection, so I can move on and plan different.

So, do the college contact you if you are unsuccessful, or does the recent Easter break mean I am unlikely to hear anything for a few weeks yet. Just trying to put plans in place for the future and knowing if I am on that possible path.

Thanks.

Hey I did my entrance exam last Saturday and I got my letter yesterday saying I got through to the interviews!! The department of applied social studies have been very quick through each stage of my application at replying to me!
    You should hear about your course soon if not email the department that deals with your course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Guys, just wanted to say... I didn't actually make it through the interview process for my chosen course. But after I got the letter I rang up admissions and asked if there was another course I could do instead, and they let me in to the general Joint Honours Arts degree, on the condition that I pass a course in the summer. What I'm saying is, don't think it's the end of the line if you don't get through. There may be other options.

JoeR91 wrote: »
    Hey I did my entrance exam last Saturday and I got my letter yesterday saying I got through to the interviews!! The department of applied social studies have been very quick through each stage of my application at replying to me!
    You should hear about your course soon if not email the department that deals with your course

See, that is the kind of thing that concerns me. I know all departments are separate and likely to work at their own pace - but hearing you having some kind of confirmation so soon makes me think negatively regarding my own application.

Had e-mailed the admissions office but they haven't responded at all. Will take up your advice regarding looking for the specific department and hope that shakes a tree loose.

At this point, just rather know. As much as I want to get in, would rather just get the sword put through it if it isn't the case that I made the cut (as disappointing as that would be) and be done with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

I had my mature student interview on the 13th of this month for MH201. I just got an email from the college saying:
    "Thank you for your attendance recently for interview for a place on a Science degree course at Maynooth University. The panel has decided to recommend you for a place on MH201 Science, but require that you successfully complete a Mature Student Mathematics Course - 3 weeks.
    This course is mandatory for you, and on successful completion you will be offered a place on MH201 Science at Maynooth University."

Aww yisss!

My wait is over. Got a letter yesterday asking me back for an interview next Tuesday. After something like a five week wait for a response, I'm pretty chuffed to make that cut.

Job is only half done now. Have to figure our how to impress them in person next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Delighted for you....

Best of luck on Tuesday!!!

Keep us posted.

IM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

racersedge wrote: »
    My wait is over. Got a letter yesterday asking me back for an interview next Tuesday. After something like a five week wait for a response, I'm pretty chuffed to make that cut.

Job is only half done now. Have to figure our how to impress them in person next!

Best of luck I have mine Thursday

Advertisement