Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD accommodation 2015/16

Options
  • 14-04-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I hoping to go to UCD next year and I'm a little bit lost in choosing campus accommodation. What would be the best residence for a first year? In the residencies what's the social life like? Are the residencies very strict? Are apartments mixed or segregated? Does it take long to get into the city centre? I'd really like to know what life is like there from a current student's perspective, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

What would be the best residence for a first year? Probably merville or glenomena

In the residencies what's the social life like? Well you'll have people going out every night of the week, predrinking in apartments etc

Are the residencies very strict? Yeah security are arseholes and love to fine people. You cant get into res after half 10 if you dont live there so get people over before then for parties etc. However if you make too much noise during said party everyone will get kicked out. If you happen to pull you'll either have to go back to their's or hop the gate with them hoping they make it in.

Are apartments mixed or segregated? Its totally random, you pick the room you want in the apartment you want and even the house. If you've a few friends its easy to book at the same time and get a place.

Does it take long to get into the city centre? 20-30 mins. You can get the 145, 46a or 39a so they'll be a bus every 5 minutes or so between them. A taxi into town will be €12-15.

I'd really like to know what life is like there from a current student's perspective. It depends on who your flatmates are to be honest, totally luck of the draw. Last year I had really good craic (I knew one of the 3 before moving in) and we'd all be up hanging out in the sitting room every evening. This year I'm only in there for cooking as the flatmates I have are quite, its totally luck of the draw with roommates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scourtney

What would be the best residence for a first year? Probably merville or glenomena

In the residencies what's the social life like? Well you'll have people going out every night of the week, predrinking in apartments etc

Are the residencies very strict? Yeah security are arseholes and love to fine people. You cant get into res after half 10 if you dont live there so get people over before then for parties etc. However if you make too much noise during said party everyone will get kicked out. If you happen to pull you'll either have to go back to their's or hop the gate with them hoping they make it in.

Are apartments mixed or segregated? Its totally random, you pick the room you want in the apartment you want and even the house. If you've a few friends its easy to book at the same time and get a place.

Does it take long to get into the city centre? 20-30 mins. You can get the 145, 46a or 39a so they'll be a bus every 5 minutes or so between them. A taxi into town will be €12-15.

I'd really like to know what life is like there from a current student's perspective. It depends on who your flatmates are to be honest, totally luck of the draw. Last year I had really good craic (I knew one of the 3 before moving in) and we'd all be up hanging out in the sitting room every evening. This year I'm only in there for cooking as the flatmates I have are quite, its totally luck of the draw with roommates.

Thanks so much! If you're late coming back to the apartments (say 2.30am) will security let you in no bother? Are the apartments heated or would you have to stock up on hoodies and wooly socks? Sorry for all of the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

Actually since Belgrove was renovated its much easier to get in if youre not a resident after the gate is closed because the fence/walls don't to all the way around :P you swipe your student card at the gate to open it so as long as you're a resident you can come and go as you like. heating and utilities are all included in the total cost of accommodation and you can turn it off/on as you want. You definitely won't be complaining about being too cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scourtney

DaisyFay wrote: »
    Actually since Belgrove was renovated its much easier to get in if youre not a resident after the gate is closed because the fence/walls don't to all the way around :P you swipe your student card at the gate to open it so as long as you're a resident you can come and go as you like. heating and utilities are all included in the total cost of accommodation and you can turn it off/on as you want. You definitely won't be complaining about being too cold :)

Thanks! So would you say belgrove is a nice place for firsties? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

yeah i'd go for Merville or Belgrove. A lot of first years tend to chose Belgrove and you can chose to live with other 1st years if thats what you want. Belgrove is the most central in terms of college buildings and is especially close to arts/ag/science. Definitely don't chose blackrock/muckross/proby anyway because even though its campus accommodation, its not on the main campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Scourtney wrote: »
    Thanks so much! If you're late coming back to the apartments (say 2.30am) will security let you in no bother? Are the apartments heated or would you have to stock up on hoodies and wooly socks? Sorry for all of the questions!

Oh you can come in no problem when you want, you just scan your card to open the gate. The sitting room, hall and bedrooms all have heaters that you can turn on and off as you please.

Advertisement