Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat anxiety, pulling her fur out.

• 14-04-2015 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

Poppy has done this since we've known her. We found her back in 2013. We've had her checked and the vet can't find a source of pain so we're assuming it's anxiety. I've tried various holistic remedies in case it's a skin issue and nothings worked. It's getting worse and she's developing bald spots. She's doing it so often that she's having furballs every day.

Our vet has suggested medication for the anxiety, but before I go down that route I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this with cats and if they've had any success stopping it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

My cat has done the same thing since the end of 2006!
    We tried several routes: first we thought of some kind of allergy from food, so we tried different specific foods for some months. Then we thought of some allergy from the environment and we had many tests run, nothing.
    So we thought of some behavioural reason and the "shrinker" of cats ended up with the diagnosis of anxiety from lack of external stimulus. She told us to enrich the world around her with everything that could keep her mind busy, but nothing worked. We also tried some kinds of medication (Zylkene and Anxitane) but with no success.
    So we ended up with the decision to let her live her life as it is. Any action taken would give her more stress.
    My cat licks her belly compulsively, so her tummy is bald most of the times, in times when she's more relaxed the hair grows a bit more.

Advertisement