Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in repeating one LC exam for self-purposes?

• 14-04-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am planning to go to college in September 2016 to study Mathematical science. When I start my undergraduate studies, I'd like to start tutoring LC students in HL/OL maths. I've already sat the leaving cert exam in 2014, and achieved a B1 in HL. However, if I were to start teaching students in a few years, I would like to learn the syllabus again (as I'm aware parts of it have been slightly updated since 2014) and I'd like to sit the exam in June 2016.

I was wondering if this is possible in any way and if there is much point to it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes it's possible, though it will be considered a repeat and incur the repeat fee.

If it's what you want to do, of course it's worth it. People of all ages go back and sit on LC subject, for all sorts of reasons. I sat Art there a few years ago, just because I had an interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

spurious wrote: »
    Yes it's possible, though it will be considered a repeat and incur the repeat fee.

If it's what you want to do, of course it's worth it. People of all ages go back and sit on LC subject, for all sorts of reasons. I sat Art there a few years ago, just because I had an interest in it.

How much does it cost to repeat the one subject? Also, when I reapply for college, will my original cao points be used independently of that one repeat subject?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you can't combine points from different sittings of the exam for college. I'm not sure what the situation would be if you were just using your Maths mark for matriculation purposes.

At current rates, the fee for repeating just one subject is 112 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Should an individual need a grade for matriculation purposes, it can be obtained in any year independent of the year that the points are coming from.

As stated, points can only be gotten from a single year.

That's not really your problem. :P

There are actually a multitude of subjects that I'd like to do for the Leaving Cert, above all both History papers. I might consider sitting a few of them in the future, perhaps once I have an established career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Your idea seems redundant to me OP.
    You are going to study mathematical sciences.
    In your first year , probably couple of months actually, you will learn more than you did in the lc and probably revise some of the material again anyway.
    Get a 1:1 in your exams and I doubt anyone will care what you got in your lc and you can save 112 euro.
    Unless it is only for self satisfaction then I honestly can't seen any advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Your idea seems redundant to me OP.
    You are going to study mathematical sciences.
    In your first year , probably couple of months actually, you will learn more than you did in the lc and probably revise some of the material again anyway.
    Get a 1:1 in your exams and I doubt anyone will care what you got in your lc and you can save 112 euro.
    Unless it is only for self satisfaction then I honestly can't seen any advantage.

I suppose the OP could pick up the syllabus and go through it if they wanted to give LC maths grinds (or do voluntary tutoring work for the StVdP or through the college). However I would say that having gone through the system themselves then they'd be 'ready to go' as it were in terms of course content and structure. What proofs a student needs to learn, what's on for O level vs' Higher level etc. Sure you could pick up the manual but going through it does give a good insight from a learning/teaching perspective. In fairness the course has changed considerably since 2004.

Have a look at the project maths website (it's a bit all over the place). Or else look at the exam papers from examinations.ie . Before you could depend on Q1 Paper 1 being the exact same topic, now you might have a mix of topics across and within questions!

Advertisement