Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice places to live in Tallaght

Options
  • 14-04-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭

I`m moving to Dublin soon. I`m finding it difficult to find somewhere to rent. I have heard bad stories about Tallaght but I`d like to keep an open mind and believe that this is a minority giving the area a bad reputation.
    Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to live in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

As someone that has lived in Tallaght for the vast majority of my life, I can say, I don't personally think it's too bad, but it definitely does have it's issues. The worst parts would probably be Jobstown, Rossfield and to a lesser extent, Killinarden, but even then, if you're not looking for trouble, you're not going to get into any. Aylesbury, Old Bawn, Killnamanagh, Tymon and Firhouse are nicer, but, do have probably an equal amount of trouble to the previous three, the houses just tend to be more modern and the area in general a lot nicer, and as far as I know, rents are higher, but the people are fairly similar. Truthfully, I don't think Tallaght is something your average person who's even somewhat streetwise couldn't handle, and I'd put it on par with the rest of the lower class suburbs of Dublin as far as trouble is concerned, you'd want to be renting somewhere like Dundrum, Sandyford or Blackrock to find anywhere in Dublin with less trouble, which would of course, cost you a lot more money. I'd personally say you should consider anywhere in Tallaght, it's definitely the minority that gives the area a bad reputation, most people in Tallaght are just normal, non trouble causing people. Even in the worst areas of Tallaght, you should be fine as long as you don't get involved in any trouble yourself. Walking around in Tallaght is less dangerous than walking around in Dublin City. The only issue I may be concerned with is if you have kids, in Tallaght a lot of decent kids do tend to fall in with the wrong group of friends, though, that can happen anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Old Bawn/Seskin View
    Firhouse
    Tallaght Village (Bancroft etc)
    Belgard Heights
    Watergate
    Aylesbury
    Elllensborough
    Kilnamanagh

These areas are all perfectly fine to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Take a good look around any area that you decide to live in. From my experience it's not the adults you have to look out for, most of the trouble comes from the kids. Some of them are practically feral and even in a decent estate can really ruin an area of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AM2790

I hope you don't mind me bringing this thread up again!

I'm moving to Dublin soon and have begun looking at renting in different areas which is depressing to say the least! But I've really taken notice of some of the lovely apartments in Tallaght that have the same rent for something half as big and nice closer to the city. My boyfriend works in Tallaght so it would obviously suit him to live there, though he lives in Harolds Cross at the moment and drives every day. But I will have to travel in to the city centre, near Trinity College every day. I know the red luas goes from Tallaght but would this be a very big journey every day? Does anyone have an opinion that maybe another area would make more sense?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a look at the likes of Ballycullen, just above Firhouse. Two bus routes and within five minute drive to Tallaght. Very nice area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Priorsgate in Tallaght village is a nice development, my brother lives there. 54a would be quicker than Luas into Trinity, handy cycle also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AM2790

Thanks for your replies, I'll look out for the places mentioned! I just got a job offer so will be moving in the next month. I've noticed some nice and affordable places in Park West, particularly the Crescent. Does anyone have any experiences of here, particularly the transport to Dublin City centre. I will be working in the Kildare Street/Dame Street area. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

AM2790 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, I'll look out for the places mentioned! I just got a job offer so will be moving in the next month. I've noticed some nice and affordable places in Park West, particularly the Crescent. Does anyone have any experiences of here, particularly the transport to Dublin City centre. I will be working in the Kildare Street/Dame Street area. Thanks.

I work in Park West and know the apartments well. As regards transport the apartments are served well. 79a terminates right outside The Cresent and is practically always on time. Once you know the timetable it's very dependable and the route has the friendliest soundest drivers in Dublin :-)
    Takes about 40 mins to get in to town! The 151 serves the Nangor Rd and is about a ten minute walk from apartments. There is also the train but that only takes you as far as Heuston!
    The location itself is on the edge of an industrial estate and is very close to Cherry Orchard!(5 min walk). It's not an area you would be walking around after dark! There is a Spar shop close by and a Londis ten mins walk away. Both close around 7! However Clondalkin Village and Mill Centre is five minutes up the road for Dunnes Stores and Liffey Valley is ten minutes in the other direction.
    Apartments would be fine in my opinion if you just want to crash in the evening and have a car to get out and about, but if you like to get out and walk in your surroundings then there is not a whole lot outside your door. The canal is nearby and can be a nice walk but on nice evenings gangs of young teens hang around the locks acting the maggot!
    Hope you have already got sorted!

Advertisement