Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring smoke Dec to New hkc hybrid panel

Options
  • 15-04-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have a hkc 10 zone hybrid panel and want to wire smoke detectors to it, any help please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

B2theT wrote: »
    I have a hkc 10 zone hybrid panel and want to wire smoke detectors to it, any help please

This is the Info Sec forum :)
    Maybe try over here, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1366

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moved from infosec forum....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can wire a smoke detector into any spare zone in the panel. You will need engineer access to programme the zone as a fire zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 B2theT

I have it in zone 8 and the the zone is set to zone type fire and the power for the smoke is on the aux 12v supply everything works but when activated and I put the alarm number in the detector still shows a red light indicator and the panel says open zone 8.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The detector is set to latch. See if there is a selection on the detector to turn this off .
    Otherwise remove /replace the power to the detector will reset it.

• Advertisement

There airtech 12v smoke heads with six pins that sit on a 6 terminal base there is noting on them like dip switches etc. I have the red (+) from the panel looped into terminal 1 which is already looped to terminal 2 then I have black (-) in terminal 3, I've the alarm circuit from zone 8 going into terminal 4 (yellow) and out terminal 5 then the last base I have the yellow in terminal 4 and blue in terminal 5

They were used a lot with the CS250 which had a menu option to reset them.
    If you really need an easy reset option you could use an output to drop power to the head on a pulsed option.

Haven't a clue about the outputs what way they work, it has a output terminal with 1 pre alarm (+) and 2 alarm (+) then the usual ext bell inter bell etc

You could programme up a spare output on the panel as a + trigger. It would be normally - so you supply the smoke detector - from that. If the head needs to be reset you switch that output from the keypad & programme it as pulse.
    To be honest you might be creating a lot of hassle here for yourself.
    To reset remove the detector from the base & replace again . Its not going to activate that often anyway.

Yea think I'll go with the manual reset sounds a lot handyer alright, just thought I had the cables or the programming wrong. I thought it was a straight forward thing to fix but just killing the power to the bases sounds a lot easier, thanks for all your help :-)

• Advertisement

You welcome. Hope it all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Yea think I'll go with the manual reset sounds a lot handyer alright, just thought I had the cables or the programming wrong. I thought it was a straight forward thing to fix but just killing the power to the bases sounds a lot easier, thanks for all your help :-)

You can also use the EI smoke detectors, much easier to use rather than having to reset them after an activation.

why are they easier?

why are they easier?

They dont need to be reset the way you will have to with the Aritech one. Easier to install at as all you have is two for power and two for alarm also.

A good idea if they ever need to be replaced.
    I wouldn't be replacing smoke detector just to eliminate the need to reset them. An easy thing to do if needed however you may never even need to perform this reset anyway.

The airtech are brand new I only went for them as they looked better than the other ones the wholesaler had, I was going to break the positive side of the 12v through a switch I have so if need be I can just kill the power to reset the them. Don't know why the wholesaler never told me about the difference with the heads as I told him I was connecting them to a new hybrid panel

The airtech are brand new I only went for them as they looked better than the other ones the wholesaler had, I was going to break the positive side of the 12v through a switch I have so if need be I can just kill the power to reset the them. Don't know why the wholesaler never told me about the difference with the heads as I told him I was connecting them to a new hybrid panel

That is it the best option with what you have but you will only need to remove the power to reset them after an alarm event so it might be a bit extreme.
    The EI smokes are the easiest option tho when you are replacing them in 5 years.

Yea I'll just change them to the other type when replacing them, do the other ones sit on a base like the aritech, and the wiring is it still red and black from the 12v aux supply and yellow and blue from a zone.

No they have on board wiring & look like standard battery smoke detectors.
    I don't like them at all. For the rare time you are going to need to reset them its not worth it IMO. Also if you have a couple of these on the same zone the latching helps identify which one has activated.

I've 3 optical and 1 heat, I was going to get a carbon monoxide but he said he only 230v mains and I'd be looking at crazy money for them carbon monoxide detectors

• Advertisement

REW have nice CQR ones similar to what you have on a round base.
    Cheaper than that too.
    With 4 devices on the one zone I'd recommend keeping the latching devices.

Do you know how much they are?

Not allowed post prices. But a good bit less that what you said below.

My bad sorry didn't know about the price thing, I'll check REW out next time I'm passing one of their places, thanks again koolkid, and altor.

No problem. Glad we could help. Here is REWs details.

REW (Richmond Electrical Wholesale)
    Unit 17 / 18,
    Finglas Business Centre,
    Jamestown Road,
    Dublin 11
    Tel:01 858 0960
    Fax:01 8569830

Unit 2,
    Redcow Retail Centre,
    Robinhood Road,
    Ballymount
    Dublin 22.

Tel: 01- 464 2200
    Fax: 01- 464 2201
    www.rew.ie

Didn't know about posting prices sorry, I'll definitely check out REW next time I'm passing them, thanks again koolkid & altor.

No worries.
    Give them a call also. They are very helpful.

Will do . Thanks again

Yea I'll just change them to the other type when replacing them, do the other ones sit on a base like the aritech, and the wiring is it still red and black from the 12v aux supply and yellow and blue from a zone.

Its the same wiring config but different detectors so you would need to remove the other ones when replacing. Price wise they all pretty much the same.
    Have a ring a round of the suppliers here to get pricing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement