Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship Competitions 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭spl99

I didn't make it through :( Ahwell, next time!!
    Good job bud!! And good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Muiris96

Just got my email too! What dates were people told to report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eoin k

If I am sitting my leaving this year and I was to get in but did not get the 3 higher level subjects what would happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Negative_G

eoin k wrote: »
    If I am sitting my leaving this year and I was to get in but did not get the 3 higher level subjects what would happen ?

You would be told you are not longer eligible and you would be eliminated.

A suitably qualified candidate from the reserve panel would promptly be offered your place.

Does anyone know for the run do they mark the distances on the road? Just so I know for pacing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

Muiris96 wrote: »
    Does anyone know for the run do they mark the distances on the road? Just so I know for pacing

No. You run 1.2km then turn around and run back

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Depends where you're doing it. Can be two circuits, one, or a 'there and back' as stated above. Start and finish will be clearly advised on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamo36

Does anybody know what to expect on the really expect on the day? I know that we've to do the fitness test and then the assessments again. Is there anything else we should be preparing for, like an interview?

Thanks and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamo36

Does anybody know what to expect on the day? I know that we've to do the fitness test and then the assessments again. Is there anything else we should be preparing for, like an interview?

Thanks and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

liamo36 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what to expect on the day? I know that we've to do the fitness test and then the assessments again. Is there anything else we should be preparing for, like an interview?

Thanks and best of luck!

It's all in the email (page 11)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Nikkipapa

Hi, I'm just looking for some general information regarding the cadets, if anyone could help me I would be grateful, apologies if it has been mentioned previous in the thread

I have reached round 2 , but need more information before I consider going ahead in the process

It mentions that cadets undergo a 15 month training program. Can someone help me to determine if cadets are given weekend passes each week or do they only be handed out after a certain number of months training and meeting targets and standards that week?

Also do cadets have a choice in what location they will be sent too?

Many Thanks

Nikkipapa wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just looking for some general information regarding the cadets, if anyone could help me I would be grateful, apologies if it has been mentioned previous in the thread

I have reached round 2 , but need more information before I consider going ahead in the process

It mentions that cadets undergo a 15 month training program. Can someone help me to determine if cadets are given weekend passes each week or do they only be handed out after a certain number of months training and meeting targets and standards that week?

Also do cadets have a choice in what location they will be sent too?

Many Thanks

First three months - generally one weekend pass and a break at Christmas. Assuming an October start date.

Next six months - generally every 4-6 weeks.

Final six months - generally every second weekend.

Leave is a privilege and it can be revoked at any time. It will not always be like this but it is in training at least. Like you say, don't meet the standard, pass is at jepordardy.

I believe Cadets put in a preference to which unit/location they wish to serve. Ultimately they are told where to go. You may want to be based in the Cavalry in Cork and end up in infantry in Finner.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nikkipapa

Thanks for the prompt response Negative_G, all i have to worry now is get the BMI below 25 for next tuesday morning, don't want to rely on a body fat test to be the deciding factor if i pass or fail

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Hi, does anybody know what dates stage 3 will be held at ? Will it be sometime in August ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mallow98

has anyone done the fitness test yet?, if not good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Quick question about the leaving cert results needed. It states in the educational requirements School Leavers must possess a minimum of Grade C3 in 3 Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in 3 Ordinary/Higher level papers, in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination but then after this it states that a third language is also needed.

Ok so this is where the confusion on my behalf begins. I have the required leaving cert results from 1 sitting but as I repeated my leaving cert my third language is from a separate sitting the previous year! Anybody know if they will accept this or will it be an issue??

I completed stage 2 in the competition a few days back and I'm worried that if I get a shout for stage 3 that this might hold me back .

what were the fitness tests like? did many fail?

mallow98 wrote: »
    what were the fitness tests like? did many fail?

They are basically the first thing you do in asssement. 20 push ups followed by 20 sit-ups (crunches). There is a demo vid of the proper technique on the defence force YouTube channel. The technique is the most important thing.
    After those it is a 2.4km run which has to be completed in a set time.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Hey, does serving personnel have to have leaving cert to apply??
    And also, the 3rd language bit, does it mean you need 3 languages to apply or just a 3rd language is accepted as one of your subjects/requirements.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

hi lads, how has the competition gone? just interested as i want to apply myself in the future!

hi lads, how has the competition gone? just interested as i want to apply myself in the future!

Interviews are still on going. We will find out who makes the medical stage hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Interviews are still on going. We will find out who makes the medical stage hopefully in a couple of weeks.

how did ye find the interviews? good luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Negative_G wrote: »
    First three months - generally one weekend pass and a break at Christmas. Assuming an October start date.

Next six months - generally every 4-6 weeks.

One weekend off in three months ? - That sounds more like a prison sentence than a career choice......

Long Gone wrote: »
    One weekend off in three months ? - That sounds more like a prison sentence than a career choice......

You have to remember it's not just a job you are applying for its a lifestyle.

how did ye find the interviews? good luck with it anyway!

I think it went well. There were 4 officers and 1 cilivian on the board. The questions are very straightforward. Takes about 45mins.

I think it went well. There were 4 officers and 1 cilivian on the board. The questions are very straightforward. Takes about 45mins.

thats good, just out of interest any few examples of what you were asked?

thats good, just out of interest any few examples of what you were asked?

Why you want to join?
    Why should you be a cadet?
    What do you bring to a team?
    Have you talked to any military personal about the job?
    Where have you shown leadership?

Why you want to join?
    Why should you be a cadet?
    What do you bring to a team?
    Have you talked to any military personal about the job?
    Where have you shown leadership?

sound man! straight forward enough ! what was the group assesment like?

• Advertisement

sound man! straight forward enough ! what was the group assesment like?

Two group puzzles that you do in a yard. To see how you work in a team.
    Then you have to do a military situation plan.

Advertisement