Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship Competitions 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mallow98

Muiris96 wrote: »
    Two group puzzles that you do in a yard. To see how you work in a team.
    Then you have to do a military situation plan.

ok thanks! very best of luck with the competition as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Muiris96

Anyone know when we hear anything about the medical stage?
    i think they conducted the last few interviews today.

did many school leavers reach interview stage do ye know ?

mallow98 wrote: »
    did many school leavers reach interview stage do ye know ?

I am not sure. Out of the 5 on my interview date. Two of us were school leavers. Myself included

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JoeSoap123

Anyone heard who interviewed for the Army hear anything?

• Advertisement

JoeSoap123 wrote: »
    Anyone heard who interviewed for the Army hear anything?

Heard nothing yet. I say we should hear something by the end of next week at the very latest.

Hmmm. They did say at one stage though that they hope to let candidates know if they're through to medicals or not on the week of the 17th.

Hmmm. They did say at one stage though that they hope to let candidates know if they're through to medicals or not on the week of the 17th.

Well then we should know by Friday. The medicals are on the first week of September anyway.

Ah grand so. Yeah I remember that being mentioned too. Any idea how many are being brought though to medicals? I heard the number 30 being thrown around for the number of spots in the class but nothing in relation to how many they're going to medical.

Ah grand so. Yeah I remember that being mentioned too. Any idea how many are being brought though to medicals? I heard the number 30 being thrown around for the number of spots in the class but nothing in relation to how many they're going to medical.

I don't now exactly. First time going through the process but I would not be surprised if the number at the medical is around 40+

• Advertisement

Sounds about right. Best of luck anyway. Keep us posted if you get anything in your inbox in the coming days!

were ye told anything about the size of this years class?

Yeah 30 for the Army but that wasn't definite. That's just what everyone I spoke to had heard. Not sure about the other Corps'

Yeah 30 for the Army but that wasn't definite. That's just what everyone I spoke to had heard. Not sure about the other Corps'

big enough class so! good luck with the rest of the competition aswell.

Looks like the bad news emails are out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cupboard11

Looks like the bad news emails are out anyway.

Unlucky joe. What did the email say. Were you on a panel or anything do you mind me asking? I haven't received any email yet :/ surely successful candidates would have been let know first?

Cupboard11 wrote: »
    Unlucky joe. What did the email say. Were you on a panel or anything do you mind me asking? I haven't received any email yet :/ surely successful candidates would have been let know first?

No idea. Sorry I should've explained more. It wasn't me, it was a friend of mine who got their email today telling them they weren't successful. I haven't been chatting to them properly just yet so I'm not sure. I got the impression it was just an email without any more info other than that they weren't successful at getting through to interview though.

Are you waiting on an email yourself? Sorry if you've mentioned it already I haven't really been following this thread properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Successful candidates will be contacted next week. No news is good news.

Successful candidates will be contacted next week. No news is good news.

Thanks. How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Direct contact.

• Advertisement

Direct contact.

Fair enough. Any idea on the number of people being called forward for medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

It's going to be the biggest naval cadet class in a decade.

A once in a life time sized group or so I am informed.

There is a massive hole in the junior officer corp.

It's going to be the biggest naval cadet class in a decade.

A once in a life time sized group or so I am informed.

There is a massive hole in the junior officer corp.

Yeah I've heard there's a higher turnover of staff in the officer ranks of the naval service alright

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Yeah I've heard there's a higher turnover of staff in the officer ranks of the naval service alright
    Why is there a high turnover for naval officers? I can understand why there is a high turnover for general service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Negative_G

danube wrote: »
    Why is there a high turnover for naval officers? I can understand why there is a high turnover for general service.

Better pay and conditions elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Negative_G wrote: »
    Better pay and conditions elsewhere.

I thought the pay was €30,000 +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Negative_G

danube wrote: »
    I thought the pay was €30,000 +

You are correct. Commissioned officers start on €30,000+ before any allowances such as sea pay or MSA.

Young naval officers accrue valuable skills and experience in the Naval Service. Skills which transfer over quite easily to civilian roles.

There's more to it than money. Here's a question for you. Would you rather work on a rostered basis on a yacht/vessel in the Caribbean or on a naval service vessel? The money may not be too different, but the quality of life will be. I know of one individual who faced this choice and left, and he has said many others have as well to similar civilian jobs.

It is my understanding that Air Corps officers are 'contracted' to a minimum of 12 years service before they can leave. I'm unaware of a similar undertaking in the NS. Perhaps a similar scheme in the NS may stop the purge but introducing something like this retrospectively would be a legal nightmare and I would imagine would be met with a lot of resistance. Retention pay was used by the Air Corps in the last 15 years or so, another possibility.

The Air Corps themselves have lost a huge amount of personnel over the last 5 years or so. Not just pilots but technical personnel also. Unsurprisingly many of these were helicopter pilots who went to the middle east.

The moritorium during the financial crisis had a lasting effect as without any new personnel coming into the service it was always going to present a problem down the line. The chickens coming home to roost so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Very simple.

There used to be a 12 year 1/2 pension and a fairly much gold plated 21 year full pension.

They are not available to today's young officers.

There is a massive demand in the deep sea, cruise liner and luxury yacht maritime market.

These jobs soak up all the young white civilian officers avaliable.
    So been adequately qualified young officers can go outside to this market.

But the biggest reason is to many people left at all levels and not enough joined.

All you have to do to get promoted in the Naval Service up to LtCdr level is just stay long enough.

12 years and your on decent money but the modern pension is a terrible deal so loads of people will be joining for the few years the training and experience and then leaving for pastures greener.

A 3rd Marine Engineer (White Irish) will get $5000 a month on a luxury yacht.

So if you work 10 months that's $50000 dollars tax free if your a non resident for tax purposes.

To earn that in Ireland you would have to actually earn €88,000 gross.

Where are you going to earn that as a 24 year old?

Good luck to everyone today/this week.

Hoping everyone who hasn't gotten word yet gets a call for a medical!

Keep us posted on here!

• Advertisement

best of luck lads.

Advertisement