Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving BER of insulated house

Options
  • 15-04-2015 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

We were looking at a house with a C3 rating. It had attic insulation done and wall cavity pumped about 3 years ago.
    I thought previously if we bought a house with a low BER, we'd then spend a bit of money insulating it. However, it seems that was already done, but the rating is still not great.
    Would there be anything else we could do to improve it or is it a lost cause now?
    (I need to ask when the windows were done, they don't look too old but I can't tell if it's double glazed)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I suppose the little things like energy saving light bulbs . A enclosed unit like a stove in the fireplace . Also as you said check the windows and ventilation.

I received a full copy of the BER on my house before closing and this is what they recommended. Mine was a D1 which I expected 1980s house but after spending 2 winters here and putting in stove etc it is most definitely not a cold house .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Some advertisements have the number of the BER report on them. I'm sure you could ask for it anyway. This way you can look up the report yourself and like alibab says read what is recommended. Light bulbs and old electrical appliances are included in the rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The BER isn't a great process. Ignoring the rating what do you want to achieve?

Lower electricity bills?
    Use LED lamps everywhere, replace old appliances with A rated ones.

Lower heating bills?
    How old is the boiler ? If it's old replace it with a more modern one.
    Curtains , use heavy curtains.
    Drafts, seal letter boxes and use external box.
    Do you use the fire place? If not seal it up , or replace it with a stove.
    Heating control, what type have you?
    Replace with a Nest, Tado, climate , hive, NEO, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Improving your BER is something of an exercise in diminishing returns. Improving from an F to a C rating is usually pretty straightforward; for a small amount of cash upfront, you make good savings on energy bills. But getting from a High C to a High B usually involves big outlays for minimal return.

We've had a BER done on ours. We've got a C2, and in order to get it to a B rating, we'd need to replace the storage heating with Gas. An outlay of up to five figures for yearly savings of a couple of hundred euro - at most. At the most optimistic, we'd make our money back in 25 years.

Likewise to push it to an A rating, we'd need to go with solar panels. Again a huge outlay that we would functionally never get back in saved energy costs.

I would definitely advise asking for the BER report if they have it. This will list the things which need to be done and point out any easy wins that may be available - things with a low cost and medium/high impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was away when I got the reply and forgot to come back to it.
    I'm not really trying to do a paper exercise with increasing the BER, but rather increase how warm and efficient the house will be. If by insulating the attic and walls and getting double glazing, the rating of the house only improves by 1-2 grades, then I'm wondering whether the house is basically just a cold house. Then to make it even warmer is there's a whole lot that may need to be done? extra wall insulation and attic insulation, for example...
    However, if a house improved by 3-4 grades, then the rest is basically as you suggested, a couple of light-bult and a solar panel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement