Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering with the PRTB

Options
  • 15-04-2015 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all, this is a quick enough question. As a landlord, do I have to get a BER Cert to be able to register with the PRTB? Also, do I have to register with the PRTB as soon as I have tenants sign the lease or could it wait about two weeks? Are there are repercussions of delaying the registering with PRTB for a week or two after moving the tenants in? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

You have up to one month to register, Also there is a penalty , not sure what the penalty is , I registered a house last year and i didn't need the BER .

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

Great, thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

You must have a BER before advertising the property.

seai.ie

"A seller or landlord must provide a BER to prospective buyers or tenants when a home is offered for sale or rent. BER details must be included in commercial advertisements related to the sale or rental. A BER is also required for a new home before it is first occupied. There are exceptions for certain categories of buildings e.g. protected structures and certain temporary buildings (See Statutory Instrument No. 243 of 2012 for details of exemptions)"

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

I believe the form when registering with the PRTB advises that you need a BER Cert. It would seem that I must get one done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I believe the form when registering with the PRTB advises that you need a BER Cert. It would seem that I must get one done.

Legally- under S.I. 243 of 2012- any person offering a dwelling to let- must supply both a printed BER certificate, alongside an advisory report, to anyone who expresses an interest in letting the property. It is an offense under the Act not to supply this Certificate and adjutant report.

A pre-existing letting, which commenced prior to the 9th of Jan 2012, is exempt from a BER certificate (unless such time as it is let to a new tenant).

With respect of a reminder when you're registering the tenancy with the PRTB- it is just a reminder. You have a legal obligation to fulfill elsewhere.

Arguably the report is more important for a prospective tenant than the BER certificate itself- though both must be supplied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement