Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Real Madrid's Dani Carvajal bite Atletico Madrid's Mario Mandzukic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That is disgraceful behaviour. Carvajal should be banned for that, deserves the same punishment as somebody else who was discussed here recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

What is it with Madrid though? All joking aside about the one who wont be named. Madrid seem to always attract or at least recruit players that have less than a good moral stance on gamesmanship.

They have some world class that have gone through that side but they also have some thugs.

Varane has shown this year he is no angel but we have also seen Ramos, Pepe, Mourinho, Figo, Zidane and now Carvajal who have all been less than respectful to their fellow players. I know I am missing one or two more obvious players.

There has also been a couple of other unsavory characters that have been linked with them. Which I find a bit rich when they came out and talked about their code of conduct contract a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Didn't think it looked like a bite, considering manduzkics flop from the hit he would have surely had a fit had he felt a bite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Absolute scummy behaviour and should be retrospectively banned. What does be going through a human being's head to think it's ok to bite someone? In a game of football? And then punch them?

Didn't think it looked like a bite, considering manduzkics flop from the hit he would have surely had a fit had he felt a bite

It clearly was an attempt to bite him, he probably didn't get the grip he tried for and so punched him. Despicable carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Had the game on in the background but it seems like Real were targeting Mandzukic and knocking him around a fair bit.

Get the feeling this was a display of players frustration as Mandzukic wasn't for backing down.

Terrible, cynical and dirty behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't see any bite in the video

22 seconds in

Carvajal-bite.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mr.H wrote: »
    22 seconds in

Carvajal-bite.jpg

Nah, no bite there and the image is pointless. Look at the second clip in real time at 30 secs. He gets an arm in his face holding him off, slight swing and then gives him a dig in return.

Handbags really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres no evidence of any bite, his mouth looks closed and theres nothing coming out so far from Mandzukic or Atletico, its a non-story IMO.

He did however throw a punch at him whihc he should be punished for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Completely agree that if he had been bitten he would have called attention to it, nothing in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mandzukic kept his arm in his face for a long time there, that'd have pissed me off. Don't think it's a bite tbh but that would have been the quickest way to cause Mandzukic harm so wouldn't rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

22 seconds in

There's no way you can tell whether he's biting or not in that picture. It's the same in the video, inconclusive. With Mandzukic not saying anything and not showing the world bite marks on his arm, the evidence is very flimsy.

I don't know what you lads are looking at, it looks to me like he moves his head in towards the arm of Mandzukic, whether he actually got the bite in is debatable but it definitely looks like he tried to,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mandzukic reacted like he'd being stabbed by Ramos earlier, had Carvajal bit him there he'd have gone over the edge all together, he had little to no reaction what so ever and theres nothing being made of this by anyone involved with Mandzukic or the club.

I don't know what you lads are looking at, it looks to me like he moves his head in towards the arm of Mandzukic, whether he actually got the bite in is debatable but it definitely looks like he tried to,

He does move his face into Mario's arm, but it's a bit of a leap to say he was trying to bite him.

Pro. F wrote: »
    He does move his face into Mario's arm, but it's a bit of a leap to say he was trying to bite him.

A logical leap I'd have thought. What else would he be doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Gav's point is important though. He would have lost the plot if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

circadian wrote: »
    Had the game on in the background but it seems like Real were targeting Mandzukic and knocking him around a fair bit.

Get the feeling this was a display of players frustration as Mandzukic wasn't for backing down.

Terrible, cynical and dirty behaviour.

Watching the game was different, Mandzukic was diving and playacting all night trying to get the opposition booked and was an utter embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Mandzukic was complaining about absolutely everything for the entire game. Non-stop. I'm struggling to remember a player whinge as much in a game as him last night. Considering this, I'm sure if he had been bitten his reaction would have been very, very obvious.

• Advertisement

to be fair its not 100% that he bit him. Very difficult to tell. But what shouldnt be lost in this debate is how dirty a team they are. That is something they should be called out on

elefant wrote: »
    Mandzukic was complaining about absolutely everything for the entire game. Non-stop. I'm struggling to remember a player whinge as much in a game as him last night. Considering this, I'm sure if he had been bitten his reaction would have been very, very obvious.

if I was punched and molested the way he was last night I would be fuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wouldn't have previously had Carvajal pegged as the sort. Who knows though? Nothing conclusive but it defo looks like he might have.

to be fair its not 100% that he bit him. Very difficult to tell. But what shouldnt be lost in this debate is how dirty a team they are. That is something they should be called out on

I'd be the first to criticize Real Madrid, but if anything Athletico are worse. Their 'gamesmanship' is a huge part of what their game is based on.

if I was punched and molested the way he was last night I would be fuming

He was playing as a striker, and committed the most fouls of any player in champions league this season. Surprising he wasn't sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

It clearly was an attempt to bite him, he probably didn't get the grip he tried for and so punched him. Despicable carry on.

It wasn't though

niallo27 wrote: »
    Gav's point is important though. He would have lost the plot if it happened.

I don't think he actually bit him but I do think he tried to and when he couldn't get a grip punched him.

It wasn't though

His head chases the arm of Mandzukic, unless he was trying to lick him or wipe his runny nose then an attempt to bite seems a plausible explanation to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Handbags, who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What is it with Madrid though? All joking aside about the one who wont be named. Madrid seem to always attract or at least recruit players that have less than a good moral stance on gamesmanship.

They have some world class that have gone through that side but they also have some thugs.

Varane has shown this year he is no angel but we have also seen Ramos, Pepe, Mourinho, Figo, Zidane and now Carvajal who have all been less than respectful to their fellow players. I know I am missing one or two more obvious players.

There has also been a couple of other unsavory characters that have been linked with them. Which I find a bit rich when they came out and talked about their code of conduct contract a few years back

They really should have gone for Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

CSF wrote: »
    defo ... might have.

I definitely might have a million pounds.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he did try to bite him, or if he was just mushing his face into his arm for no useful reason. It looks like common enough type of movement of somebody who is wound up to me. He could have been just trying to push back against his arm, maybe to draw more contact and incite Mandzukic to lash out. A whole lot of agitated energy and a desire to cause a fight with Mandzukic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Handbags, who cares.

Trying to bite somebody and then punching them, is not handbags. It's pathetic.

You aren't more of a manly man for saying its handbags.

Kirby wrote: »
    Trying to bite somebody and then punching them, is not handbags. It's pathetic.

You aren't more of a manly man for saying its handbags.

Yeah it's pathetic, lumped in with all the petty kicking and pushing and diving commonplace in La Liga (and elite football generally). I just couldn't give a ****. In the grander scheme of things neither player was injured or hurt so no harm, no foul imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Inconclusive from that footage / still. Can't say for definite either way so I'd presume innocence.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And for those of us that don't speak Spanish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ah, I see , great.

I dont see. Cant speak a word of Spanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

gimmick wrote: »

My Spanish wouldn't be the best but I'll give it a shot...

"I awoke this morning only to notice that a large portion of my forearm was missing. There appeared what looked like teeth marks around the missing portion. The only logical explanation is that I must have bitten it off whilst sleeping"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Mandzukic said there was no bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

What does be going through a human being's head to think it's ok to bite someone?
    extreme hunger I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Mandzukic reacted like he'd being stabbed by Ramos earlier, had Carvajal bit him there he'd have gone over the edge all together, he had little to no reaction what so ever and theres nothing being made of this by anyone involved with Mandzukic or the club.
    He was pumping blood after the incident with Ramos so I'm not so sure his reaction was that bad in hindsight. It didn't look that bad on tv, I didn't think there was anything in it but when I seen the blood I was wondering if the camera angles had fooled us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    no foul imo.

You'd be screaming for a red if if that happend to a Liverpool player. Can't just punch somebody on a pitch and expect to no punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

If Mandzukic was bitten we'd have definitely known about it. Possibility there was contact with the arm and teeth but think a lot of that is due to the height difference, Mandzukic is a big guy and towers over Carvajal, if I had to guess I'd say it's a bit of tussling, both men pushing the boundaries and Carvajal comes off worse so lashes out with a punch. Probably should've been a red in the game but very harmless stuff in the grand scheme. Happens all the time in the lower levels of football.

You'd be screaming for a red if if that happend to a Liverpool player. Can't just punch somebody on a pitch and expect to no punishment.

Yeah but nobody was hurt so it's grand. Let's do away with attempted murder while we're at it.
    "I did fire the gun your honour, but I missed, can I go home now?"

'No harm, no foul' is an expression. Essentially he gave him a light tap in the midriff and Mandzukic theatrically fell over like he'd been shot. If the ref sees it, sure - red card / no complaints. But he missed it and it's a non incident in the grander scheme of things. Not worth getting excited over imo.

Potentially leg breaking tackles are much worse than this tbh.

Bad form and deserving of a ban obviously.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

gimmick wrote: »

Sorry, I thought I'd posted a translation but it's roughly, "Good morning! Yesterday's match was very hard and both teams gave everything, but for me there was no controversy, no bite, no nothing."

Fair play to him, good attitude. Some posters in this thread could take a cue from him.

Advertisement