Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The victims of Ricky Gervais

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

he isnt wrong though
    You're right. Nobody should have an opinion unless they manage and live on a big game reserve in Africa. The rest of us "middle-class, suburbanite, Westerners" who he clearly thinks are uneducated should just be killed off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

smash wrote: »
    You're right. Nobody should have an opinion unless they manage and live on a big game reserve in Africa. The rest of us "middle-class, suburbanite, Westerners" who he clearly thinks are uneducated should just be killed off. :rolleyes:

well you've shown yourself to be pretty uneducated on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The rest of us "middle-class, suburbanite, Westerners" who he clearly thinks are uneducated should just be killed off. :rolleyes:
    Or hunted by middle-class, suburbanite Westerners for sport :eek: :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You're right. Nobody should have an opinion unless they manage and live on a big game reserve in Africa.
    Reductio ad absurdum.

well you've shown yourself to be pretty uneducated on this topic.
    How so. Everything you've picked me up on, I've clarified what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But let me explain what I mean... it's not an animal that will charge to kill and eat you when it sees you.
    What makes you think that? It's a massive animal that can stand up to most things bar a pride of lions or a pack of hyenas. I think it would be more inclined to charge given that it could do that in 99% of instances, even against a single lion and drive whatever it was running at away. But I'm guessing neither of us have any experience with giraffes in the wild so we can only speculate.
    It's not every day you read a thread full of clueless opinions on animal behaviour or conservation, and apply their middle-class, suburbanite, Western morality to places that they probably couldn't even point to on a map. All in the pursuit of 'saving' animals, while tucking into factory farmed produce that would make hunting look humane in comparison.

Giraffes aren't the ones in need of a cull, TBH.
    Conservation requires culls. There are still wild animals in Africa but they are at the mercy of poachers. These reserves are the the only chance many species have of surviving. To not realise that is the reserve of middle class westerners that got their view of the animal kingdom from disney movies.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    What I find personally disturbing though is this notion that she enjoys killing so much, she'll pose with the body (corpse? What's the correct English term?) afterwards, with a big smile on her face.
    I'm sure if any of us spent the day hunting one of the worlds top predators we'd be pretty proud of ourselves when we achieved our goal, it would be exciting and press all of our animalistic buttons.. I wouldn't hold it against her for being proud of what she accomplished. I just wouldn't go putting it under the noses of animal lovers and expect anything other than horror.

How so. Everything you've picked me up on, I've clarified what I meant.

everything you have said sounds like it was based on a school trip to fota wildlife park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Bambi wrote: »
    Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for her

I know they got your ma but get over it.

Mod

Please remember to attack the post and not the poster.

Try and post without winding other posters up.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Animal culls should be carried out by professionals who are trained and licenced, not by a bunch of amateurs whose motivation seems to be the thrill of the hunt rather than the welfare of the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

bjork wrote: »
    Is she a "Victim" > She styles herself as "Extreme huntress">Did it only occur to her now she might face criticism?

mmmmm......sexy word

Panrich wrote: »
    Animal culls should be carried out by professionals who are trained and licenced, not by a bunch of amateurs whose motivation seems to be the thrill of the hunt rather than the welfare of the animals.

they are trained and licenced. not many amateurs hunting with .476 wetherby or a bow. and there is always a second gun on hand in case the first shot isnt a clean kill. a lot less suffering than being killed by a pack of lions thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

About a year or 18 months ago someone from the Ag Dept came down to cull the badgers.

I didn't realise I was supposed to get the speedos out and pose with them after they'd been despatched.

ScumLord wrote: »
    What makes you think that? It's a massive animal that can stand up to most things bar a pride of lions or a pack of hyenas. I think it would be more inclined to charge given that it could do that in 99% of instances, even against a single lion and drive whatever it was running at away. But I'm guessing neither of us have any experience with giraffes in the wild so we can only speculate.

I guess what makes me think it, is just speculation as you say. It's not a predator and it's not an animal you hear of being aggressive when unprovoked. Obviously if it has young, it will be protective like all animals. But as it's not a predator, it's not going to just attack a person. I suppose any footage I've seen from documentaries etc has presented giraffes as being quite a tame creature compared to the animals it Cohabitates with in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What a c*nt. She deserves everything she gets.

I guess what makes me think it, is just speculation as you say. It's not a predator and it's not an animal you hear of being aggressive when unprovoked. Obviously if it has young, it will be protective like all animals. But as it's not a predator, it's not going to just attack a person. I suppose any footage I've seen from documentaries etc has presented giraffes as being quite a tame creature compared to the animals it Cohabitates with in the wild.

when you only have one predator its quite easy to appear nonchalant when they arent around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

I understand and appreciate the concept of culling. Now, when can we start culling humans. We're just animals ourselves...

Liamario wrote: »
    I understand and appreciate the concept of culling. Now, when can we start culling humans. We're just animals ourselves...

vicious, nasty animals for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The thing is though these are managed parks, if you let the giraffes breed uncontrolled by a predator, they start to hurt the ecosystem around them, which will lead onto further problems around the area.

When they reintroduced wolves to yellowstone park in the US, it fixed eroding river banks. That's the kind of effect one animal can have on an ecosystem.

Hunting them with a big stick is only going to make the animal suffer. Have you ever seen an elephant killed with spears? It takes a long time.

Those safari parks are nothing to do with conservation, it's all about giving rich people the chance to shoot animals.

The animal has no chance to escape as the area is fenced in.

• Advertisement

when you only have one predator its quite easy to appear nonchalant when they arent around

We're not talking about their behaviour around their natural predator, we're talking about their behaviour around humans. An elephant in comparison will be a lot more likely to charge at a human. Maybe giraffes just don't see us as a threat like an elephant would. I don't know, but like I said they've always been presented to be more docile than the animals they cohabitate with.

Those safari parks are nothing to do with conservation, it's all about giving rich people the chance to shoot animals.

exactly how big do you think this fenced in area is?

you also need to realise that the animal that is killed is chosen to be killed. they dont shoot the first giraffe they come across. they would be killed if there was a hunter willing to pay or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Conservation requires culls. There are still wild animals in Africa but they are at the mercy of poachers. These reserves are the the only chance many species have of surviving. To not realise that is the reserve of middle class westerners that got their view of the animal kingdom from disney movies.

I'm sure if any of us spent the day hunting one of the worlds top predators we'd be pretty proud of ourselves when we achieved our goal, it would be exciting and press all of our animalistic buttons.. I wouldn't hold it against her for being proud of what she accomplished. I just wouldn't go putting it under the noses of animal lovers and expect anything other than horror.

Spent the day hunting??? :confused:

Accomplished something??? :confused:

One of the world's top predators??? :confused:

Let's keep it real .......... she was driven to a specific area to kill a giraffe ffs!!! :D

No big "hunt", no vicious foaming-at-the-mouth "predator" ........... nothing really accomplished at the end of her "long" day :rolleyes:

Panrich wrote: »
    What advantage has a trained hunter? I would guess even the amateurs are trained and have the necessary licensing.

The advantage to the amateurs (who need experience to be labeled as professional) is that pay huge sums of money to hunt these animals, and I would guess they do so under the supervision of an experienced hunter/animal control of the park.

Big herbivores like that do tend to charge though. The closest example we have in this country is cattle, for the most part they're pretty docile most the time but get on the wrong side of them and they show you they know full well their bigger and stronger than people. Some cattle will charge any person they don't know. Herbivores won't let a predatory animal hang around, even if they know the predator has no intention of attacking them, they seem to hate predators they can fight back against.
    Liamario wrote: »
    If Putin has his way there will probably be a big human cull. We're pretty good at culling our numbers.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Let's keep it real .......... she was driven to a specific area to kill a giraffe ffs!!! :D
    I didn't see anything like that in the report. Where did you get all this additional information from. Are you just assuming you know how these things work?

• Advertisement

I didn't see anything like that in the report. Where did you get all this additional information from. Are you just assuming you know how these things work?
    According to ohnonotgmail they're even told which one to kill :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95099660&postcount=123

According to ohnonotgmail they're even told which one to kill :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95099660&postcount=123

indeed. they cull the animals least fit from a conservation point of view. darwin in action.

Well I haven't seen the autopsy report yet ............ but judging by the picture it looks like a giraffe to me :rolleyes:

That doesn't surprise me, their culling which means picking off the least healthy one. I suppose if they have to do that they have to go find it and point it out to the person doing the killing. that still doesn't make it easy. Just precise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

No big "hunt", no vicious foaming-at-the-mouth "predator" ........... nothing really accomplished at the end of her "long" day :rolleyes:
    No, she was asked to kill a specific giraffe.
    The carcass was then given to the locals so they could eat the meat.

People won't go hunger as a result of her actions, I think that's quite an accomplishment.

• Advertisement

indeed. they cull the animals least fit from a conservation point of view. darwin in action.

Some amount of skill required for 'hunting' of this nature. Must make them feel so big...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I don't think the act of killing the animal is the problem here, it's seeing somebody taking pleasure in it...

No, she was asked to kill a specific giraffe.
    The carcasses was then given to the locals so they could eat the meat.

People won't go hunger as a result of her actions, I think that's quite an accomplishment.

It's not an "accomplishment" if any idiot can do it ...........

Some amount of skill required for 'hunting' of this nature. Must make them feel so big...
    #

quite a lot of skill required to make a clean kill. not something you can just rock up and do.

#

quite a lot of skill required to make a clean kill. not something you can just rock up and do.

True ......... you have to rock up and do a load of "dirty" kills first ........... practice makes perfect.

I don't think the act of killing the animal is the problem here, it's seeing somebody taking pleasure in it...
    I can appreciate that, but why would people hunt if they didn't like doing it?

I don't think she did anything wrong, it only seems insensitive because people that don't want to see that kind of thing had it put in front of their noses.

you also need to realise that the animal that is killed is chosen to be killed. they dont shoot the first giraffe they come across. they would be killed if there was a hunter willing to pay or not.

What are you on about saying they would be killed if there was a hunter willing to pay or not?

The animals are bred just to be target practice for rich hunters, yes the area will be big but but still fenced in, it's not like out in the bush where the animal might have some chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

She's just the archetypal Republican voting, gun-owning, 1st Ammendent loving white trash..... They are ten-a-penny. Most likely the type to shoot you for setting foot on her property to put a leaflet through the door...... Hopefully some US network offers the bimbo a million dollars to take on a giraffe bare handed and let's see how she gets on.

True ......... you have to rock up and do a load of "dirty" kills first ........... practice makes perfect.

You need a lot of shooting experience full stop. they dont let people hunt who they dont think are capable of doing it properly.

What are you on about saying they would be killed if there was a hunter willing to pay or not?

The animals are bred just to be target practice for rich hunters, yes the area will be big but but still fenced in, it's not like out in the bush where the animal might have some chance.

these are managed reserves. They have too many giraffe so they cull the excess. they can either be killed by the park staff or hunters can pay instead. Money they get from hunters pays for the upkeep of the park. And i dont think you understand how big these parks are. Its not fota wildlife park. you can walk for days without seeing a fence. here is an example of one http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/199 50,000KM2. Ireland by comparison is 84,000KM2

• Advertisement

You need a lot of shooting experience full stop. they dont let people hunt who they dont think are capable of doing it properly.

Fair enough but my point is she isn't extraordinary, she didn't do anything rare or amazing ........ she's a blonde white-trash bimbo who was given a gun by her "good-ole daddy" for her 5th birthday and yeehawed her way to Africa .......... nothing more.

Btw Ricky Gervais is f****** hilarious!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

catallus wrote: »
    They're basically evolved dinosaurs. Very dangerous.

"Even being in a vehicle does not guarantee your safety"

Maniacs is what they are.

They were just playing with those people.

They are not breed for target practice. The reserve is to protect the animals from poachers. The hunting is just a necessary part of managing the reserve which can't totally depend on the natural process.

these are managed reserves. They have too many giraffe so they cull the excess. they can either be killed by the park staff or hunters can pay instead. Money they get from hunters pays for the upkeep of the park. And i dont think you understand how big these parks are. Its not fota wildlife park. you can walk for days without seeing a fence. here is an example of one http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/199 50,000KM2. Ireland by comparison is 84,000KM2

I think you're getting mixed up between wildlife parks which do occasionally have culls to manage numbers and places that just exist where people pay to shoot the animals.

I'm assuming this place was the latter.

Fair enough but my point is she isn't extraordinary, she didn't do anything rare or amazing ........ she's a blonde white-trash bimbo who was given a gun by her "good-ole daddy" for her 5th birthday and yeehawed her way to Africa .......... nothing more.

nothing rare or amazing indeed. but if she is white-trash she is rich white-trash.
    Btw Ricky Gervais is f****** hilarious!! :)

nothing rare or amazing indeed. but if she is white-trash she is rich white-trash.

Of course she is, these places use rich white-thrash folk to kill the animals ......... otherwise a local could just do it for the meat or the cull or for whatever other "reason" needed to kill 'em. :)

I think you're getting mixed up between wildlife parks which do occasionally have culls to manage numbers and places that just exist where people pay to shoot the animals.

No game reserve is going to kill animals that it doesnt have an excess of. it isnt sustainable.

I would assume it's not the latter. She's a bit of a public figurehead for hunting, so I would assume she'd like to say she used a facility that does everything right so she wouldn't get abuse from conscientious hunters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It's not an "accomplishment" if any idiot can do it ...........
    Could you kill a giraffe with a bow and arrow?
    I doubt many people could.
    She's just the archetypal Republican voting, gun-owning, 1st Ammendent loving white trash.....
    Think you may need to edit that, unless you're actually against freedom of speech.

• Advertisement

Could you kill a giraffe with a bow and arrow?

Yes

Advertisement