Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurgen Klopp: Where next?

• 15-04-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭

with him being a free agent come the end of the season, everyone's favourite hipster boss will surely be looking for another job...this time in a league in a another country.

8LchE8r.gif

so who will it be?

and after Dortmund's poor showing this season, does he still have the powers he once had?

Where will Klopp go? 233 votes

Manchester City
    0% 0 votes
    Real Madrid
    54% 126 votes
    PSG
    10% 24 votes
    Arsenal
    5% 13 votes
    Liverpool
    9% 21 votes
    Napoli
    15% 37 votes
    Inter
    3% 8 votes
    Other
    1% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Man city

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Saying he'll want a years break.

Feel Arsenal are the best fit for him, but would think Wenger will want one more crack at the title following their strong run in and the fact the team are finally getting big, big names in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There's an opening at Bray Wanderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Klopp to take a year break and be at Arsenal for the 2016/2017 season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fwiw, i can't see him going anywhere but Manchester City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He may want a year break but I'm sure City will be lobbing absurd amounts of money at him to change his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

He just said in the Dortmund Press Conference that he does not plan to take a break, but that he so far hasn't had any contact with other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Germany

Take a year's break, let Low win the Euro's, he'll bow out and Klopp will step in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A year out then Germany after the Euro's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Said himself he's not taking a break. City could be likely but I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait for Pep in a years time. Hope he doesn't go to City, he's a likeable chap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

City would be a bad fit.

City need a complete overhaul, team wise, in order to fit Klopp's all-action, high intensity gameplay. And while I love Klopp, his transfer record is questionable in recent times, and City potentially have FFP limitations to worry about.

That, and I couldn't bear it as a United fan :(

he's not planning on taking a break, or I'd have put Germany as an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I love his honesty. He just said that he realized that he probably wasn't the right coach for the club anymore when he felt that there was a perception that he was bigger then the club, but in his words noone can be bigger then the club.

Well if he is not bunking off for a while, then City would be the most "obvious" but that would be a very different job to Dortmund - an ageing side that will need significant overhaul and recasting to suit the high intensity Klopp style. The owners might like the idea but they'd lack the patience I suspect as the job could not be done in less than two seasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lord TSC wrote: »
    City would be a bad fit.

City need a complete overhaul, team wise, in order to fit Klopp's all-action, high intensity gameplay. And while I love Klopp, his transfer record is questionable in recent times, and City potentially have FFP limitations to worry about.

That, and I couldn't bear it as a United fan :(

He doesn't do transfers. That's Michael Zorcs job. From that point of view he'd fit into City's system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This could spell trouble for B-Rod, depending on how the season finishes.....

I think though City are most likely, bad fit or not, if he is offered enough filthy luchre he will go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Straight to City. No Brainer.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

This could spell trouble for B-Rod, depending on how the season finishes.....

Alan Pardew will be heading to Anfield. Klopp is too big for Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Looks like it will be City but he should take a year off and choose the next job like Pep did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Alan Pardew will be heading to Anfield. Klopp is too big for Liverpool.

Pardew me ballix tbh!

I don't buy for a second that Klopp is "too big" for LFC, what ever that means.

He has had one real job in what is essentially a 2 team league with decent enough success.

IMO he would be the perfect fit for LFC, much more than at City but a I've said elsewhere, I don't envision BR leaving, barring an utterly disastrous conclusion to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Ancellotti gets the chop from Real he'll be approached no doubt but I he'd be mad to take it on.

Pelligrini sacked
    Klopp to City
    Ancellotti sacked, maybe.

funnily enough, if José wasn't there, looking at the players they have, he'd be a perfect fit for Chelsea.

they're ready made for high intensity, counter punching football, and it would be attractive on the eye, such is Roman's desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

At least if he does to city there'll be a likeable manager in the top 4/5

He's liked in England now because he's only seen and heard from in small chunks. Once he's on Sky Sports News 24/7 people will grow tired of him like they would anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have seen him linked with a few clubs honestly can't see him taking a big step down to Liverpool when the likes of City and Madrid will be fighting for him at seasons end

Reckon he'd be a lot better at Madrid than City for what it's worth but the fans are hostile in Madrid and he will surely need a bit of time to get the pressing machine ramped up

Have seen him linked with a few clubs honestly can't see him taking a big step down to Liverpool when the likes of City and Madrid will be fighting for him at seasons end

Had to get that one in there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Napoli would be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think Arsenal would be his best option, but City will throw buckets of cash at him to go to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Had to get that one in there.

Fcking hell, this is what's wrong with the soccer forum. Nobody supporting Manchester/Liverpool can say a fcking thing without someone thinking it's a dig.

Someone suggested that Rodgers could be in trouble, the reply was basically that's it's a step down.

How anyone can't see Liverpool would be a step down from Manchester City/Real Madrid assuming they make offers is fcking clueless.

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Would love him after Wenger goes. Think it would be a good fit. But cant see him any where else but City

Il be sickened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd rather manage Liverpool than City or Madrid.

The pressure at Madrid is ridiculous.
    The Man City owners are impatient. Their squad is old as hell and needs a complete rebuild.

Liverpool have a decent squad and aren't exactly afraid to spend money.

No brainer for me.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'd rather manage Liverpool than City or Madrid.

The pressure at Madrid is ridiculous.
    The Man City owners are impatient. Their squad is old as hell and needs a complete rebuild.

No brainer for me.

Only someone with a lack of ambition and belief would say this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

jonny666 wrote: »

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ancelotti could be sacked, pelligrini could be sacked, klopp having his contract rescinded, rafa not renewing his one with Napoli. Isn't pep leaving bayern next season too? If your gonna sack your manager now would be the time to do it I guess, plenty of potential quality replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm sitting in front of a computer eating pot noodles dreaming of managing Liverpool. I don't think I lack ambition to be honest.

Not sure how that computes - you might argue Liverpool would be a more ambitious management task than City (I wouldn't as it happens for reasons mentioned in previous posts regarding rebuilding ageing squad) Real Madrid are already in the box seat - obviously that doesn't mean a manager won;t be sacked even if they win the Champions League mind you. I suppose staying in that job shows ambition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Carlo to City and Klopp to Real Madrid. I expect him sacked just as Wenger retires to take his position then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Assistant Germany Manager then Germany Manager, Then Manchester United.

Oat23 wrote: »

Will they spend it on wages though?

Apart from that though Liverpool would make a lot of sense in that they have a lot of talented young players coming through that Klopp could mould into his high intensity system. The owners would probably give a new manager a decent amount of money to spend as well. He wouldn't be expected to win the league from day one like he would at City.

That said it's all moot as like Arsenal there probably won't be a vacancy there this Summer.

City as a club probably doesn't make sense but they are the club most likely to have a vacancy to fill. Plus a lot of money to convince Klopp if he's unsure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Year out and then onto Bayern, with Pep going to Man City.

Bayern already have most of his Dortmund side so may as well take the manager

I like Van Gaal, bit of a spoofer, they all are, but his interviews and attitude towards them are fun to watch.

Not sure how that computes - you might argue Liverpool would be a more ambitious management task than City (I wouldn't as it happens for reasons mentioned in previous posts regarding rebuilding ageing squad) Real Madrid are already in the box seat - obviously that doesn't mean a manager won;t be sacked even if they win the Champions League mind you. I suppose staying in that job shows ambition!

If you have ambition and belief as a top a manger you don't manage Liverpool. You go to places where leagues and CLs will be won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm somewhat confused with this "year off" lark that some keep saying. He's said he isn't taking time off.

"It's not that I am tired," Klopp said. "I have no contact to another club, either in England or elsewhere. But I do not intend to put in a sabbatical year."

Rodgers wont be leaving
    Wenger wont be leaving
    Pelligrini will be very likely sacked
    Ancelotti likewise

Klopp will have options but I'd be surprised if this summer, Arsenal or Pool are part of those offers,

If thats the case hes got 2 options and Madrid is the more crazy version but most likely for success.

City will be somewhat hampered by FFP in the summer, they wont have vast money to spend unless the sell off Aguero for about 50 or 60million, even taking the increased TV deal into the equation, City have a few holes in their squad appearing and its well documented that the squad average is pushing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've lost a bit of respect for Klopp in the way he's carried this out. He is the Dortmund manager, and as such he should be making them his priority for as long as he is contracted to them. With Europa League spots still up for grabs in the Bundesliga, it would have been more in his line to try and salvage something from his bad season. Given that nothing will happen between now and the end of the season, he could easily have waited until then before making this announcement.

Year out and then onto Bayern, with Pep going to Man City.

Bayern already have most of his Dortmund side so may as well take the manager

I wish people would stop spouting this nonsense. Goetze and Lewandowski are the only players to transfer from Dortmund to Bayern in the last 10 years.

I've lost a bit of respect for Klopp in the way he's carried this out. He is the Dortmund manager, and as such he should be making them his priority for as long as he is contracted to them. With Europa League spots still up for grabs in the Bundesliga, it would have been more in his line to try and salvage something from his bad season. Given that nothing will happen between now and the end of the season, he could easily have waited until then before making this announcement.

You must not have read the statement. He specifically mentions why he has announced this before the season ends

He's giving the club time to find a new manager before the end of the season so that they can plan for next season. I reckon it would have been kept quiet, but Bild got the news and ran it. It was only after that that Dortmund called the press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If you have ambition and belief as a top a manger you don't manage Liverpool. You go to places where leagues and CLs will be won.

I hope you're not about to say Arsenal.

No offence or anything, and obviously Arsenal are in a better place than Liverpool at the moment, but your above criteria would only leave City available to Klopp in the PL, what with Chelsea and United not likely to change anytime soon.

For me, its down to City and Real Madrid, realistically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement