Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurgen Klopp: Where next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Knex. wrote: »
    I hope you're not about to say Arsenal.

No offence or anything, and obviously Arsenal are in a better place than Liverpool at the moment, but your above criteria would only leave City available to Klopp in the PL, what with Chelsea and United not likely to change anytime soon.

For me, its down to City and Real Madrid, realistically.

You mentioned Arsenal.

You are spot on with everything else you said. City prob are the only realistic option in the PL now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

jonny666 wrote: »
    You must not have read the statement. He specifically mentions why he has announced this before the season ends
    Ah ok, I stand corrected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

jonny666 wrote: »
    If you have ambition and belief as a top a manger you don't manage Liverpool. You go to places where leagues and CLs will be won.

i know you'd really, really love this to be true, but it's not.

it doesn't matter how many times you say it to yourself, or other rival club fans say it to themselves, Liverpool will always be a place where ambitious managers can thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Last week on the Liverpool thread I did idly mention Klopp if Rodgers season petered out to a bad EL placing and no Cup

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95032126&postcount=6717

If the worst happened and FSG decided that was enough I'd like to think they'd look at him. Not sure who else they could bring to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

He would be a perfect fit for Arsenal and for some reason I can see him ending up there eventually, but if he is to get a job this summer I'd imagine it will be at City. There is no chance he will go to Liverpool, one of the most sought after managers in football will not go to a team who regularly don't qualify for the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Can easily see Real Madrid wanting him considering he's beaten them well before in Champions League and I'm sure he wouldn't mind a stint there as most managers would and since that could be a short enough stint, it could be a good place to go for he experience and the money before he settles at some other team with a more long term project if he hasn't been kept on at Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

This decision has him going to manage city written all over it. He possibly has already discussed terms with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Its amazing that a premiership manager can have a bad season and we all want them to be sacked, but a manager abroad who had an awful season becomes available we want him to manage our club.

Dalglish, Moyes, Wenger, Rodgers, Pelegrini, LVG) all over the last few years have come under pressure at certain times from keyboard warriors and match goers alike. Yet Jurgy bear who has had a terrible season is now looking for a new club and we ignore his bad season.

Too bad we dont give that kind of courtesy to our own managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have a feeling it will be Madrid in the summer for klopp then he will spend about 3 years there and then more then likely move to man utd. I just get the feeling he will move to man utd at some stage in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

SlickRic wrote: »

it doesn't matter how many times you say it to yourself, or other rival club fans say it to themselves, Liverpool will always be a place where ambitious managers can thrive.

I think people are misunderstanding what I said originally and are taking it as a slight against Liverpool.

Of course liverpool will attract ambitious managers, but a manager leaving Dortmund who will have offers from the best clubs in the world wouldnt be very ambitious if they went to liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Klopp gives me the impression that Like Pep, going to a soul-less club like Man City is not on his agenda.

id be very surprised if he ended up there to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Mr.H wrote: »
    Its amazing that a premiership manager can have a bad season and we all want them to be sacked, but a manager abroad who had an awful season becomes available we want him to manage our club.

Dalglish, Moyes, Wenger, Rodgers, Pelegrini, LVG) all over the last few years have come under pressure at certain times from keyboard warriors and match goers alike. Yet Jurgy bear who has had a terrible season is now looking for a new club and we ignore his bad season.

How many German forums, media outlets, do you regularly keep up to date with? Or are you just basing your opinion off the English speaking media and forums, where the Premiership is a lot more popular than the Bundesliga - therefore everything gets a lot more attention? With more popularity comes a lot more ill-informed opinions.

Of the managers you mentioned - Daglish, Moyes, Wenger, Rodgers - before Wenger won the FA Cup last season, when was the last time any of those managers won a major European league, domestic cup or qualified for a major European final, etc?

Klopp had remarkable success with Dortmund. One bad season doesn't change that. Wenger had remarkable success with Arsenal. Perhaps 10 bad seasons have slightly changed people's opinion of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He seems to be everybody's darling, but I think Klopp is going to flop in his next job. If he goes to Madrid he won't last a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

AC Milan will almost surely sack Inzaghi. Huge club, fallen on hard times. Little money to spend.

Reminds me of Dortmund in a way before Klopp.

Klopp for Milan?

I'd prefer him at Napoli though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Complete nonsense.

Klopp brought a side from 11th to win the title back to back and to the brink of being Champions League winners. All despite having his best players leave the club and operating on half the wage bill if not less of Bayern. Not just that but consistently competing in the latter stages of Europe whilst playing an excellent brand of football.

I think if Rodgers had achieved that, he'd be getting some leeway. But he didn't. I still think anyone calling for his head is mental. Pellegrini has the backing of a small economy but is tactically inept when it comes to Europe. Wenger gets a stupid amount of stick given what he did when they were building their stadium - they're starting to reap the rewards now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »

Ambitious managers will go there but top level managers won't. Klopp is in that top level now so there is no way in hell he would go near Liverpool or other similar clubs in other leagues.

Madrid.

Ancellotti will be gone if they win nothing and possibly even if they win silverware knowing that club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Heard Rafael Honigstein on the wireless there saying emotionally Klopp would like a club like Liverpool as he would see them as being similar to Dortmund in terms of fanbase, etc. However he would want CL football and that while romantically he may like one thing he would be open-minded if a club like City came calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Klopp will chose his next job very carefully I'm sure. I'm not saying there is no way its going to be City but in all honesty I can't understand why people think that this is a done deal or even a favourite or even a possibility. Only for Pellegrini allegedly being in the ropes (after all its just media spouting this) there is absolutely no reason to think so. In fact I'd think City would be the last club he'd go to. I'd say he'd rather go to Bayern than City.

Klopp has a style that involves a certain closeness with his players almost a companionship or even friendship, same with the rest of his staff and environment. Watzke was nearly in tears during the press conference. He is also very unconventional, almost whacky at times. That was not only the case in Dortmund but even more so in Mainz. You would think City would be the last place on earth for that kind of stuff. Or any of the hard-nosed top clubs that are more a business than anything else.

Of course I could be wrong. But there is no reason to think he'll go there other than he announced he's leaving and City are allegedly unhappy with their coach. Thats not a whole lot and typical tabloid style thinking. If people knew Klopp and his history they wouldn't be saying this.

If I look at the premiership I could see 3 potential fits simply personality wise. Liverpool, Southampton and maybe Arsenal and all 3 of those aren't exactly looking for a new manager right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

With options limited to clubs likely to replace their manager it has to be Man City, PSG or Real Madrid for me. Personally I think Liverpool would be a better fit for Klopp but I cant see that club replacing their current manager, Liverpool win the cup & there's not a hope Rogers will lose his job, that leaves City as the only likely EPL option with Wenger, LVG & Jose well established at the other big clubs, & that's a shame IMO, think he'll be used up & spat out by them if he doesn't win all & sundry, just like everyone else that's gone there.

Italy (Milan, Napoli or Inter) or PSG for a year or two & then either back to Germany (Bayern Munich) or A top 4 EPL side would be my gut feeling for Klopp though, unless of course City just throw bucket loads of cash at him.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Klopp gives me the impression that Like Pep, going to a soul-less club like Man City is not on his agenda.

id be very surprised if he ended up there to be honest.

manchester city fc are soul-less

explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Clearly Newcastle :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think now is the time for him (if ever there is one) to go to the likes of Real Madrid. If he did go to the likes of Liverpool, Milan or Inter (big clubs but not exactly blessed with recent triumphs) and not be successful he wouldn't get offered a Barca/Bayern/Real job if it came up, but if he went to the likes of Real and failed I think he'd still be an attractive proposition to the type of clubs I've mentioned above, as well as others who are probably better placed for success (Arsenal, Man City, PSG, Juve).

I think he'll go to Real this summer if Ancelotti gets the bullet, which he may well do (incredibly).

v3ttel wrote: »
    How many German forums, media outlets, do you regularly keep up to date with? Or are you just basing your opinion off the English speaking media and forums, where the Premiership is a lot more popular than the Bundesliga - therefore everything gets a lot more attention? With more popularity comes a lot more ill-informed opinions.

I fail to see your point. I'm sorry I've just had a long day on front of the computer but I really cant tell if your saying Klopp had a good season or a bad one.

I think he had a very bad one. Injuries don't help but if that happened (and it does every year) to Wenger, he would be slated and their fans would want him out. I mean they where looking at the possibility of relegation not too far back this year.

Dortmund ARE actually ok with him leaving.

If that exact thing happened to Rodgers and he left do you think all the clubs in Europe would be creaming for him?

Like hell they would.

Premier league fans rate foreign managers regardless of a bad year or not. They dont give their own clubs the same benefit of the doubt.

Of the managers you mentioned - Daglish, Moyes, Wenger, Rodgers - before Wenger won the FA Cup last season, when was the last time any of those managers won a major European league, domestic cup or qualified for a major European final, etc?

Dalglish won the League cup and got to the FA cup final in his first full season

Moyes was given one season

Wenger won the premier league multiple times with Arsenal, overseen a financially tight period of their club and has kept them in Europe longer than any other English team.

Rafa won the champions league and got to another final and aside from a couple of other great cup runs and wins he brought a great title challenge (which as a Liverpool fan I think its a measurement of success for us as we are not strong enough to win the league and have not really been in quiet a while)

the reality is success to one team is a great cup run, where success to another team is winning the league.

When Brian Kerr took over at the Farao Islands he was told that his aim was to win a match. That was success for them.

If he took over the Brazilian team success would be competing for the world cup.....................

Premier league managers such as AVB for example got an awful time from fans who believe that Spurs should have been competing for the title............ Thats ridiculous. Success for them right now would be getting top 4 and maintaining it (same as can be said for Liverpool).

United on the other hand should be competing for the title and that would be the only success for them. But one season should not be the aim for a manager who is rebuilding a team.

A new manager should be given 2 years before his improvements should be shinning through. In the third year he should be reaching his target or else he has failed.

If a manager fails after 3 weeks in the premier league then the fans will call for his sacking.

Its just silly
    Klopp had remarkable success with Dortmund. One bad season doesn't change that. Wenger had remarkable success with Arsenal. Perhaps 10 bad seasons have slightly changed people's opinion of him.

I agree that Klopp is not a bad manager and would be delighted with him at Liverpool.

Example:
    City finish 6th this season. Pelegrini leaves.

Now Pele has had one bad season. He has won the league but his season this year was dire.

Would Arsenal, United or Chelsea fans want him at their clubs or would his really bad season define their view of him?

I think the latter as fans in our league only think about this year. The exception is the lack of knowledge they have of foreign leagues. This is why they like Klopp. He had a couple of GREAT seasons. So fans generally just remember he had these great seasons without knowing the facts.

The simple fact is that we want instant gratification and when we cant have it we want change. Foreign imports always sound sexier than our own home grown talent.

Example:
    Sterling or Christian Tello?

A lot might say Tello and think its not out of dislike or trying not to rate Sterling, but the fact is Tello sounds like a better signing because he is foreign.

Same goes for Ross Barkley or Thiago.

Barkley is a better player in my humble opinion (I'm sure many will disagree but thats not the point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Just to clear this up... It's Thiago Alcantara that Ross Barkley is better than? Not some other Thiago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Kloppo could yet end up at Bayern Munich at the end of the season!!!!! Pep has 1 year left on his contract, Man City want him and that would mean the door is open for Klopp to be reunited with Gotze and Lewa ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I hate when other people say this because I know it sounds very condescending but wow, Barkely better than Thiago? How? In what way?

English players are technically inferior to players from Southern Europe, that's down to coaching at youth level and can't be refuted, all the last major international tournaments speak for themselves.

Klopp should take a year out, assess his options and take it from there. If it had to be next season then I think he should stay well away from the prem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I would wager anyone blowing Thiagos trumpet hasn't seen him play this season and are going by a previous reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I would wager anyone blowing Thiagos trumpet hasn't seen him play this season and are going by a previous reputation.

Well considering he's been out for nearly the entire season and only played two games it's tough to go by anything other than previous form! The lad plays for Bayern in the bundesliga not Basel in the Swiss league, it's not difficult to catch the games, or at least watch highlights.

Well considering he's been out for nearly the entire season and only played two games it's tough to go by anything other than previous form! The lad plays for Bayern in the bundesliga not Basel in the Swiss league, it's not difficult to catch the games, or at least watch highlights.

He hasnt played much this season and played only a bit last season for Bayern but his stock has flattened big time. He is in no way the same player he was when he was been coveted by Europes big guns a couple years back.

Reminds me a lot of Giovanni Dos Santos. Came from Barca with huge potential but injuries and a stall in progression just killed him.

Being a Bayern or Barca player does not mean your a better player than Ross Barkley. Plenty of "not world class" players have played for both Bayern and Barca

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He hasnt played much this season and played only a bit last season for Bayern but his stock has flattened big time. He is in no way the same player he was when he was been coveted by Europes big guns a couple years back.

Reminds me a lot of Giovanni Dos Santos. Came from Barca with huge potential but injuries and a stall in progression just killed him.

Being a Bayern or Barca player does not mean your a better player than Ross Barkley. Plenty of "not world class" players have played for both Bayern and Barca

Sorry, but that's just BS. He's made 2 appearances after missing the whole season and the end of last season injured. You cannot claim that that he's "in no way the same player" on the evidence of 2 games.
    And Ross Barkley has spent the majority of this season on Evertons bench. If he was the player you claim him to be shouldn't he be the heartbeat of a poor Everton team?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Exactly my point. He has played less than 30 games in almost 2 years at Bayern, he made the wrong move at the right time for his career and I have serious reservations if he will ever reach the level which was expected of him. Give me Barkley over him every day of the week.

You think you've seen it all but this place never fails to throw up increasingly bizarre statements.

Exactly my point. He has played less than 30 games in almost 2 years at Bayern, he made the wrong move at the right time for his career and I have serious reservations if he will ever reach the level which was expected of him. Give me Barkley over him every day of the week.

He was one of the best players in the Bayern team last season before the injury. He started every game. How can getting injured make it the wrong move? Barkley wouldn't get on Bayerns bench.

I hate when other people say this because I know it sounds very condescending but wow, Barkely better than Thiago? How? In what way?

English players are technically inferior to players from Southern Europe, that's down to coaching at youth level and can't be refuted, all the last major international tournaments speak for themselves.

Klopp should take a year out, assess his options and take it from there. If it had to be next season then I think he should stay well away from the prem.

How is either statement above any different?

In fact its fairer for me to say Barkley is better than Thiago than you saying English players are not as good as European................

Thiago I think is better as he is fitter, Can play deeper, Can tackle and Can have more influence on a game

Thats just a few reasons.

When Thiago was at Barca he showed glimpses of Dribbling and flair. This does not make a player better than midfielder with way more in his locker.

Thiago is a stylish player but is a one trick pony. He is very like Suso in terms of being pure technical with very little else.

Loads of Spanish players are like this. See Daniel Parejo and Granero. Two players who went to QPR from Real. Great players but very one dimensional.

You really dont have to think I am right about this as its my opinion. I feel like I have a good knowledge of the game and from watching it I think I know what I am talking about. But as I said this is not a science it is pure preference and opinion.

And nothing to do with Klopp!!!

Sorry, but that's just BS. He's made 2 appearances after missing the whole season and the end of last season injured. You cannot claim that that he's "in no way the same player" on the evidence of 2 games.
    And Ross Barkley has spent the majority of this season on Evertons bench. If he was the player you claim him to be shouldn't he be the heartbeat of a poor Everton team?

So its wrong for me to pick on Thiago since he was injured but its ok for you to point at Barkleys lack of games due to injury....................?

He missed half the season due to serious injury and still picked up 20 plus games in the league this year. Barkley has found it hard to get fit this year but he is a top class young player.

Lets not mention the fact that Thiago is 24!!!!! 3 years older than Ross

Do you really think Ross doesnt have the potential to be a better all rounder in 3 years?????

This topic just wreaks of my point. People here just love the foreign players for some reason. Pure codswallop.

How is either statement above any different?

In fact its fairer for me to say Barkley is better than Thiago than you saying English players are not as good as European................

Thiago I think is better as he is fitter, Can play deeper, Can tackle and Can have more influence on a game

Thats just a few reasons.

When Thiago was at Barca he showed glimpses of Dribbling and flair. This does not make a player better than midfielder with way more in his locker.

Thiago is a stylish player but is a one trick pony. He is very like Suso in terms of being pure technical with very little else.

Loads of Spanish players are like this. See Daniel Parejo and Granero. Two players who went to QPR from Real. Great players but very one dimensional.

You really dont have to think I am right about this as its my opinion. I feel like I have a good knowledge of the game and from watching it I think I know what I am talking about. But as I said this is not a science it is pure preference and opinion.

And nothing to do with Klopp!!!

Pep could have signed any player he wanted when he joined Bayern and he requested Thiago. Not Barkley. You may think he's a one trick pony, but then you're not one of the best coaches on the planet.

Pep could have signed any player he wanted when he joined Bayern and he requested Thiago. Not Barkley. You may think he's a one trick pony, but then you're not one of the best coaches on the planet.

Pep wanted a young player that already knew his philosophy............. hardly different from Rodgers signing Allen, Moyes signing Fellani, Wenger signing Henry and so on. Managers sign young players from old clubs because they already had them playing their way.

He didnt sign Bale either but is he not as good as Thiago either?

but then I'm not one of the best coaches on the planet

So its wrong for me to pick on Thiago since he was injured but its ok for you to point at Barkleys lack of games due to injury....................?

He missed half the season due to serious injury and still picked up 20 plus games in the league this year. Barkley has found it hard to get fit this year but he is a top class young player.

Barkley missed the first few weeks of the season (not half of it) and has been available since October. He's made 23 league appearances.
    Thiago has missed the whole season and has only been available since last week.
    That's why you can't make the claims you've made about Thiago, when Barkley while showing glimpses of his talent has been poor, despite playing in 23 games.

• Advertisement

Barkley missed the first few weeks of the season (not half of it) and has been available since October. He's made 23 league appearances.
    Thiago has missed the whole season and has only been available since last week.
    That's why you can't make the claims you've made about Thiago, when Barkley while showing glimpses of his talent has been poor, despite playing in 23 games.

I dont see the point in this debate. It is pure flavor opinion.

Ross was available the end of Oct after a serious injury. It takes time to recover from that. He still doesnt look right from it.

Even if we go off last seasons stats I would prefer Ross who was scoring more than Thiago and involved from a deeper role.

Your love for Thiago is fair enough and he is a great player. Never said he wasnt. I said that Is Barkley was Italian or Spanish, then people would rate him higher than Thiago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pep wanted a young player that already knew his philosophy............. hardly different from Rodgers signing Allen, Moyes signing Fellani, Wenger signing Henry and so on. Managers sign young players from old clubs because they already had them playing their way.

He didnt sign Bale either but is he not as good as Thiago either?

but then I'm not one of the best coaches on the planet
    All of whom are better players than Barkley to be fair.

How the hell did this thread become Barkley v Thiago?

CSF wrote: »
    All of whom are better players than Barkley to be fair.

How the hell did this thread become Barkley v Thiago?

Because someone disregarded the rest of my post and tried to get a cheap laugh

Because someone disregarded the rest of my post and tried to get a cheap laugh

I just wanted to be sure it definitely was Thiago Alcantara before I commented on it. When you post something like that it tends to stick out...

I just wanted to be sure it definitely was Thiago Alcantara before I commented on it. When you post something like that it tends to stick out...

It was a big post with a lot of really good points :o

That comment was pure opinion and was obviously not meant to start a debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

City wouldn't tempt him, don't know why people are getting that link from. City are briefing they have zero intention of replacing Pellgerini. That might change if they slip out of top 4, but he will be there next season.

All the indication is City are eagerly awaiting Guardiolas contract to expire, and offer him the moon and stars to join them. Klopp isn't going to go there for a season. Also the City project is not enticing, a full rebuild job? Not sure he will want that.

I'd say Arsenal is potentialy where he will end up, but not likely next season, but the year after. I imagine he will take some time off to wait for the right opportunity, and it will be Arsenal or Germany. Depending on the situation, Barca could also be a viable option. Think everyone tunnel visioning on England a bit too much. I'd imagine when he made the comments about managing in England, it was with 1/2 clubs in mind. And those clubs weren't City or Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fulham! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I do feel we're a little too guilty here of assuming we know the man better than we do. Associating him with Dortmund the club and the fans as one and assuming he would automatically gravitate to a similar club, when in reality, coming from Mainz, Dortmund was probably as attractive an option as he could have gotten, irrelevant of Dortmund's human qualities as a club. I don't think he was turning down bigger clubs because he was so enamoured with Dortmund.

If Real don't come knocking, it's far from implausible to suggest Man City would be the most attractive option he could get now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I can't see him going to the likes of City, PSG or Real. Not only would he not want to go there but more importantly they wouldn't want him either. That'll be like Enda Kenny going to the Green Party. It just wouldn't fit.

I always thought his next appointment would be Germany. Of course the timing may be an issue on this one now.

I'd say City's next manager will be Pep. If Bayern go out on Tuesday he won't make it through the summer and he'd fit much better with City.

Klopp, well, I don't know. Someone said Newcastle and that doesn't seem crazy. The PL club that's sort of the English Dortmund is Liverpool but they'd be crazy to abandon the Rogers project at the first sight of bumpy road and I don't think they will. Arsenal maybe if Wenger made a decision similar to Klopp. But I can't see Arsenal making that move, it would have to come from Wenger. Only thing I'm pretty sure about is it won't be City or Real. Would never work and both parties would know that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd imagine City are a much better option than Liverpool. Unlimited funds with a clear expectation and a high wage vs the 5th biggest club in England in terms of financial power, probably 6th in attractiveness for new players and fans with delusional expectations. At this point a project club like Liverpool would be a step below Klopp, his stock might not be this high again and he needs to take advantage of it with a big move. Though I think Rodgers deserves at least one more season but he needs to get rid of the transfer committee and take 100 % responsibility for signings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'd imagine City are a much better option than Liverpool. Unlimited funds with a clear expectation and a high wage vs the 5th biggest club in England in terms of financial power, probably 6th in attractiveness for new players and fans with delusional expectations. At this point a project club like Liverpool would be a step below Klopp, his stock might not be this high again and he needs to take advantage of it with a big move. Though I think Rodgers deserves at least one more season but he needs to get rid of the transfer committee and take 100 % responsibility for signings!

City have unlimited funds but FFP will limit what they can spend to an extent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement