Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jurgen Klopp: Where next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I don't think he'd be a good fit at City unless Soriano and Begiristain go which I doubt is going to happen.
    Alan Pardew will be heading to Anfield. Klopp is too big for Liverpool.

He's not. Liverpool are still a massive, underachieving club and he would go there in a heartbeat.
    jonny666 wrote: »
    If you have ambition and belief as a top a manger you don't manage Liverpool. You go to places where leagues and CLs will be won.

If he had that sort of belief, he'd back himself to bring back the glory days, particularly with owners who are clearly prepared to pump money into the club. If Rodgers goes this summer, he's favourite, no question.

I could see Rodgers leaving this summer, Klopp taking over at L'Pool and Rodgers heading to West Ham. Might throw a £1 double on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Rumours today linking him with Liverpool and even west ham.

Not sure what my thoughts on Klopp are. I don't know enough about the Bundeslige to know if there are extenuating circumstances for the season they've had. I'd maybe wonder if he might be suffering a bit from the Jack Charlton effect - looks like a world beater for a few seasons but gets found out when other managers cotton on to the key piece of his tactics and even incorporate it themselves sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rumours are just that, rumours. Hes clearly not going to be the next West Ham manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

CSF wrote: »
    Rumours are just that, rumours. Hes clearly not going to be the next West Ham manager

I dunno about that. Maybe he fancies a "project". They are moving into the Olympic Stadium after next season etc so it would certainly be an interesting upcoming club with potential. Owners are spending money also. Prove himself and become a legend by getting into the CL.

Disclaimer: I am a West Ham fan so I "may" be dreaming :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

And I never said he was. The point is more that there's a bit if touting going on. Whether its the press making up a good story, the club bigging themselves to other possible candidates or the man himself generating a bit of smoke.

I don't think anyone expects to see him at west jam, though stranger things have happened.....

tritium wrote: »
    And I never said he was. The point is more that there's a bit if touting going on. Whether its the press making up a good story, the club bigging themselves to other possible candidates or the man himself generating a bit of smoke.

I don't think anyone expects to see him at west jam, though stranger things have happened.....
    I'm just saying, he's gonna be linked with every club that have any kind of reason to suggest they may change managers.

The tabloids will write anything. They need no encouragement from club or manager. No snippet of truth required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ludo wrote: »

Disclaimer: I am a West Ham fan so I "may" be dreaming :-)

Hallucinating, not dreaming :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Can anyone actually see him or picture him coming to England? No. It ain't gonna happen. He is also gonna want to get out of Germany for a bit, and it won't be to Barca or Madrid either. The shrewd punter would put money on him heading to an Italian team. Could very well end up at Roma as Rudi Garcia has lost it altogether. Or Napoli, who have stagnated under Benitez, which was always gonna happen. I'll never understand why they hired him in the first place. I'd say Mancini will be given another year at Inter as Inter are retards, and they seem to love watching this one man continually run their club into the ground. And I'd say Milan will stay loyal to Inzaghi since he is a fan favorite. So it looks like Roma or Napoli. The fit would be perfect. The two clubs have massive ambitions which have yet to materialise, and they are getting desperate for it to happen soon, and going to one of these two moderately big clubs would let him perfectly put his own stamp on them to take them to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can anyone actually see him or picture him coming to England? No. It ain't gonna happen. He is also gonna want to get out of Germany for a bit, and it won't be to Barca or Madrid either. The shrewd punter would put money on him heading to an Italian team.
    No, the smart money would be on him managing in the Premier league. He has already dropped numerous hints that he wants to work in the Premier league.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, the smart money would be on him managing in the Premier league. He has already dropped numerous hints that he wants to work in the Premier league.

To Liverpool or United. He ain't gonna get those jobs. Rodgers is in for the long haul, and Van Gaal is there for another few years too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

To Liverpool or United. He ain't gonna get those jobs. Rodgers is in for the long haul, and Van Gaal is there for another few years too

Really? I'm a liverpool fan and Rodgers is testing my patience, and I imagine John Henry's too. If he does poorly in the market this summer and we have another disastrous start next season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone.

Really? I'm a liverpool fan and Rodgers is testing my patience, and I imagine John Henry's too. If he does poorly in the market this summer and we have another disastrous start next season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone.

Liverpool tend to make a point of giving a manager a good run despite how he is actually performing if he gets the fans on side at the start, to show how they are loyal and that you "will never walk alone". Hodgson was an exception and I don't think the fans ever really took to him. If Dalglish actually relegated them, the fans would still have been happy to support him, because for Liverpool fans, it seems to run deeper than just results (although I'm exaggerating with the relegation). I like that about Liverpool though.

Liverpool tend to make a point of giving a manager a good run despite how he is actually performing if he gets the fans on side at the start, to show how they are loyal and that you "will never walk alone". Hodgson was an exception and I don't think the fans ever really took to him. If Dalglish actually relegated them, the fans would still have been happy to support him, because for Liverpool fans, it seems to run deeper than just results (although I'm exaggerating with the relegation). I like that about Liverpool though.

People thought United weren't 'a sacking club' until they sacked Moyes last year. Rodgers might get a chance in the next few months, despite this season being a total disaster. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Henry go for Klopp. He's a more experienced manager and has more experience in Europe and with top players.

People thought United weren't 'a sacking club' until they sacked Moyes last year. Rodgers might get a chance in the next few months, despite this season being a total disaster. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Henry go for Klopp. He's a more experienced manager and has more experience in Europe and with top players.

Would you really like to see Rodgers go? He's picked it up lately after a terrible start to the season. If they could just put one season together with their form of late, they would go close to winning it. I think he needs to be given one more season. If he fails again, then ye, the door

Would you really like to see Rodgers go? He's picked it up lately after a terrible start to the season. If they could just put one season together with their form of late, they would go close to winning it. I think he needs to be given one more season. If he fails again, then ye, the door

The problem is there's no accountability with the signings we made. This 'transfer committee' b*llocks means that we don't know who scouted or sanctioned the purchase of Lovren, Balotelli etc. It's clear Rodgers went after Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Costa, Willian, Salah etc. and for whatever reason they didn't come, but we don't know if he really wanted Balotelli here. I think if he was given free reign over the transfer dealings then we could really assess his ability there, because he's shown with the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho that he has a good eye for some players.

I think if we manage to sign a top striker then our chances of top4 and a trophy will be much, much higher. We have a decent squad but not a great starting XI. If we spend millions in the summer and make another poor start, I think he'll be shown the door.

The problem is there's no accountability with the signings we made. This 'transfer committee' b*llocks means that we don't know who scouted or sanctioned the purchase of Lovren, Balotelli etc. It's clear Rodgers went after Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Costa, Willian, Salah etc. and for whatever reason they didn't come, but we don't know if he really wanted Balotelli here. I think if he was given free reign over the transfer dealings then we could really assess his ability there, because he's shown with the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho that he has a good eye for some players.

I think if we manage to sign a top striker then our chances of top4 and a trophy will be much, much higher. We have a decent squad but not a great starting XI. If we spend millions in the summer and make another poor start, I think he'll be shown the door.

Exactly. It's quite baffling. This has been a trend with Liverpool for some time now and still isn't getting addressed. I just don't understand what the powers that be in Liverpool are saying to each other when they are about to throw out big money on the likes of Charlie Adams etc. Shouldn't a club of their magnitude and history who are aspiring to be the best be asking themselves, is this guy at the level where he'll help us become one of the best teams in the world? Would he be getting on the Real Madrid team or would they even look twice at him? The dogs on the street could tell you the answer to both is no. But regardless, Liverpool fire ahead and spend big on these mediocre players regardless. And it's always an English player with a few good months of form, basically unproven over a long period. Since Benitez came, I'd love to see the figures are of the money they have actually thrown away. Over 500 million I'd say. It's astounding really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rafa Honigstein apparently suggesting on TalkSport that if Liverpool came calling he'd not turn the club down. Also the Geordies seem to think he is interested today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Speaking to people close to him in November, where it was already on the cards that he might move to England, it was understood he wanted to move to an established Champions League club," he told Hawksbee and Jacobs. "He’s also realistic enough to know that there aren’t that many likely offers from top four clubs coming in.

“At the same time, in so far as a emotional connection, and an ideal fit, Borussia Dortmund to Liverpool is the closest resemblance you can find. The fans are a huge part of the club, they also sing you’ll never walk alone. There’s a special kind of atmosphere in the city. It would be very hard for Jurgen Klopp to turn Liverpool down."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/jurgen-klopp-would-find-it-very-hard-turn-liverpool-down-150429144976#jJAI6ZXyzSPeqmJp.99

Not much in that other than him assuming he would like to manage a similar club to Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Not much in that other than him assuming he would like to manage a similar club to Dortmund.

I think Klopp has a genuine fondness and respect for Liverpool. I'm just basing this on stuff I have seen myself and read about.

I don't think it's outlandish to think he'd want to manage Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

and they sounded him out before hiring Rodgers (obviously he wasn't really available in 2012!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think Klopp has a genuine fondness and respect for Liverpool. I'm just basing this on stuff I have seen myself and read about.

I don't think it's outlandish to think he'd want to manage Liverpool.

I never said it was. I just don't see anything in that article that would make me think it more likely.

I'd say he would be a perfect fit for Liverpool in my honest opinion and I'd look upon him as one of the people I most admire and genuinely like in football, so I'm very much interested in any signs of him moving to Liverpool and I'm not seeing much there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I never said it was. I just don't see anything in that article that would make me think it more likely.

I'd say he would be a perfect fit for Liverpool in my honest opinion and I'd look upon him as one of the people I most admire and genuinely like in football, so I'm very much interested in any signs of him moving to Liverpool and I'm not seeing much there.

I think it will be Liverpool , Arsenal or Man Utd for Klopp. To me he seems to have a thing about him that he wouldn't touch one of the heavily funded clubs that don't have that X-Factor about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool are an option just like West Ham would be an option

I can only see him going to a bigger club like City or Madrid, even if he fails he'll still get a good job after like AVB going from Chelsea to Spurs. Fail at Liverpool and who would take him

Why do people think he wouldn't manage City?

A tilt at the title and a chance to try to win the club it's first CL.

Great project for any manager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

rarnes1 wrote: »

Some weird moral code that he apparently abides by. Loads of people in this thread seem to have an inside knowledge of it but can't really elaborate on it further.

Fact is, at the end of the season when he starts getting offers, he is going to the club that:

1. Has the best players
    2. Will back him in the transfer market
    3. Offer the best wages.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Some weird moral code that he apparently abides by. Loads of people in this thread seem to have an inside knowledge of it but can't really elaborate on it further.

Fact is, at the end of the season when he starts getting offers, he is going to the club that:

1. Has the best players
    2. Will back him in the transfer market
    3. Offer the best wages.

The armchair fans made up BS code more like :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »

I just get the feeling he is the type of man that wants a project at a decent club to go and do his thing instead of being backed with the best wages / players that he wants to build this instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Exactly, and if thats the only factor, then why not stay at Dortmund?

I just get the feeling he is the type of man that wants a project at a decent club to go and do his thing instead of being backed with the best wages / players that he wants to build this instead.

Maybe Dortmund was his project and now he wants to move to a bigger club with mega money?

Who knows.

Certainly nobody here anyway!

I'd be shocked if he got an offer from Madrid or City and he refused.

I'd imagine Klopp is confident enough in his own abilities that if he went to a club like that, that he wouldn't fear the sack as he'd be a success.

He's going to a big club mark my words.

I reckon he's going to a club that has the financially security to keep all their top players. After losing so many top players at Dortmund I think he wants to try a club where that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can only see him going to a bigger club like City or Madrid, even if he fails he'll still get a good job after like AVB going from Chelsea to Spurs. Fail at Liverpool and who would take him

The England national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Are you saying that Liverpool are in the same bracket as west ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rafa got a job at Napoli via a stint at Chelsea. Bloody Hodgson got the England job. There are always jobs available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Exactly. It's quite baffling. This has been a trend with Liverpool for some time now and still isn't getting addressed. I just don't understand what the powers that be in Liverpool are saying to each other when they are about to throw out big money on the likes of Charlie Adams etc. Shouldn't a club of their magnitude and history who are aspiring to be the best be asking themselves, is this guy at the level where he'll help us become one of the best teams in the world? Would he be getting on the Real Madrid team or would they even look twice at him? The dogs on the street could tell you the answer to both is no. But regardless, Liverpool fire ahead and spend big on these mediocre players regardless. And it's always an English player with a few good months of form, basically unproven over a long period. Since Benitez came, I'd love to see the figures are of the money they have actually thrown away. Over 500 million I'd say. It's astounding really

They hardly spent 'big money' on Adam. That said I was always baffled by the sheer amount of players that Rafa would go through. There'd always be 3 or 4 players signed in the 5-10m range every season that wouldn't add to the team and you'd wonder why they didn't just spend 20m on someone who would improve it greatly. Especially when you seen the ones that the bit extra was spent on like Mascherano and Torres being their standout signings.

Based on? He went to Dortmund from Mainz. Probably because they had a higher wage budget, transfer budget and wages to offer him. Mainz is a lovely little club too you know.

Based on? He went to Dortmund from Mainz. Probably because they had a higher wage budget, transfer budget and wages to offer him. Mainz is a lovely little club too you know.

I'd also hazard a guess that in the pre-Guardiola period at Bayern, when they seemed to have a new manager every season, he was offered the job and turned it down. I'd also say he was offered jobs at other 'bigger' clubs around Europe in the past few years too.

Obviously this is pure speculation, but so is the notion that 'Klopp will definitely go to City because they have CL football, better players, and lots and lots of money'.

I highly doubt Klopp was ever offered the Bayern job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lukker- wrote: »
    I highly doubt Klopp was ever offered the Bayern job.

You would be correct.

I'd also hazard a guess that in the pre-Guardiola period at Bayern, when they seemed to have a new manager every season, he was offered the job and turned it down. I'd also say he was offered jobs at other 'bigger' clubs around Europe in the past few years too.

Obviously this is pure speculation, but so is the notion that 'Klopp will definitely go to City because they have CL football, better players, and lots and lots of money'.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely given the timeline of his rise to prominence, and the corresponding happenings of Bayern, that he has ever turned down the Bayern job. Extremely unlikely.

Heynckes was boss from 2011 until Guardiola. Klopp would not have been offered the job ahead of Pep or Heynckes before him.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are you saying that Liverpool are in the same bracket as west ham.

No
    The England national team.

Didn't he go down a peg and do pretty well with West Brom before that though, could you imagine Klopp managing Aston Villa or Stoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

If I were Klopp I'd have to go somewhere I was guarantee'd to have the financial power to retain the team I've built. Dortmund losing all their best players to Bayern must be extremely disheartening. It would certainly take a toll on me and make the richer clubs more appealing.

I'd personally like to see him at City if he were to join straight away, could do some serious damage with the money at his disposal. Or Arsenal if Wenger retires after the 2015/16 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liam O wrote: »
    They hardly spent 'big money' on Adam. That said I was always baffled by the sheer amount of players that Rafa would go through. There'd always be 3 or 4 players signed in the 5-10m range every season that wouldn't add to the team and you'd wonder why they didn't just spend 20m on someone who would improve it greatly. Especially when you seen the ones that the bit extra was spent on like Mascherano and Torres being their standout signings.

Alonso was 12 million, Agger was 5 million, Reina only 6 million. Lucas was cheap as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

City is an obvious destination for Klopp but aren't City under a bit of pressure with regard to home grown players and FFP? Or did i make that up? Will he have to sell to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

bayern,pep to city

Looks like he's off to Fenerbahce

Would love to know his reasoning, it's not much of a test of his managerial abilities. Battling it out with Gala for the league and then being even more of an underdog than Dortmund in the CL (I know they aren't in it next season)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Would love to know his reasoning, it's not much of a test of his managerial abilities. Battling it out with Gala for the league and then being even more of an underdog than Dortmund in the CL (I know they aren't in it next season)

And then in 2 years over to the Emirates hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Very strange move. Although when he was linked with west Ham and everybody was laughing a lot of reports said that klopp preferred a " project " like Dortmund was . That he wants a club he can fully be in charge of from the roots up and put his identity on. Fair enough I suppose but I'd prefer if he had the balls now to take a top job and really test himself against the peps and Mourinhos of the world.

You might say it's the easy option, if he fails he can always say " what Was I supposed to do with fenerbache after all ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

What a waste. The Madrid and city jobs must have not been available to him as he once may have thought.

Fair play to him.

Picked one nobody expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What a waste.

Edit: already been said. Surely he had better job offers on the table than Fenerbahce

Advertisement