Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Road Relays - Raheny - 19.04.15 - 2pm

Options
  • 15-04-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

One of the great races on the Irish athletics calendar takes place this Sunday in the suburbs of northside Dublin. This year, Sligo AC senior men are going for three in a row, as are Raheny’s O35 women’s team.

Format for senior men is four legs of 2 miles / 1 mile / 3 miles / 2miles.

All other races are three legs of 1 mile / 2 miles / 1 mile.

Really good atmosphere and a great afternoon's racing, well worth a watch if you're in the area...

TIMETABLE
    2.00PM Master Women W35+
    Master Women W50+

2.30PM Master Men M35+
    Master Men M50+

3.00PM Senior Women

3.30PM Senior Men

Results from last two years below...

Senior Men
    1. Sligo
    2. Ennis
    3. Clonliffe

Senior Women
    1. Leevale
    2. Crusaders
    3. DSD

M35
    1. Raheny
    2. Donore
    3. Newbridge

W35
    1. Raheny
    2. Finn Valley
    3. Rathfarnham

M50
    1. Rathfarnham
    2. Drogheda & District
    3. Slí Cualann

W50
    1. Raheny
    2. Drogheda & D
    3. Finn Valley

Senior Men
    1. Sligo
    2. Raheny
    3. Clonliffe

Senior Women
    1. DSD
    2. Raheny
    3. Crusaders

M35
    1. Rathfarnham
    2. Raheny
    3. Craughwell

W35
    1. Raheny
    2. Dunboyne AC
    3. Mullingar Harriers

M50
    1. Tallaght
    2. Rathfarnham
    3. Finn Valley

W50
    1. Finn Valley
    2. Tallaght

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

It's SO EXCITING to watch. I've been watching or marshalling the last few years and it's really fun. Come one, come all :-)

ETA: are the team lists up yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

On Sunday - anyone know where exactly in Raheny??! coming up with a couple of teams from far out west....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

youngrun wrote: »
    On Sunday - anyone know where exactly in Raheny??! coming up with a couple of teams from far out west....

check-in at the GAA club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think entry closes today, so no team lists are up yet - and I'm not sure they actually publish the entries beforehand, which is a shame. It would be good to have an idea of who'll be challenging for the various titles!

It's always a bit of a lottery on the day - the unavailability of a 2 mile leg or 3 mile leg runner can make a huge difference to a team's competitiveness. Sometimes, a club just can't get a team together. Rathfarnham didn't enter a M35 team last year and they probably would have been favourites.

All the races should be pretty open - can't see Sligo winning the senior men's by half a minute this year.

In the spirit of completeness, I just went back and checked that Raheny's master women were actually going for 3 in a row.

As well as 2014 and 2013, they also won in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008 (earlier wins were as W40).

So, unless I've gone blind, they're actually going for 8 in a row!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Should be down around 1:30pm for the warm-ups and general chit-chat.

Always a great spectacle alright, a team could have a massive lead after the second runners, to then see it eroded as their weaker lads run against the other teams top guys...

Great stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Running also, I got one goal in mind only, which is not to finish in the position we finished in last yr ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Always look forward to this race. Coming back onto home turf is nice too. Not running this year though, think I'm 1st sub on the 0-50s.

AI actually did publish an entry list for the races along with a preview.

I'm sure not everyone listed will run but it still looks like a really good line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Was meant to be running this, sick. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

pconn062 wrote: »
    Was meant to be running this, sick. :(

Me too but our 2 mile guy is unavailable :(

Sacksian wrote: »
    AI actually did publish an entry list for the races along with a preview.

I'm sure not everyone listed will run but it still looks like a really good line-up.

Bound to lose a lot off the list , its one of the disappointing things about athletics here, the dropoff rate is 30-40% I reckon off entries made, same thing with cross country.

RayCun wrote: »

Ok thanks, what exit is Raheny M50 ? Am very confused reading google maps :D. is the course near the GAA club and is there parking there ???! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ok thanks, what exit is Raheny M50 ? Am very confused reading google maps :D. is the course near the GAA club and is there parking there ???! thanks

keep driving north on the M50, until there isn't any more M50 :)
    The course is nearby, don't know about parking though, you'd want to leave yourself some time to find parking on a street fairly nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

The end of the M50, which then turns into the R139, all the way to Donaghmede roundabout, then Killbarrack road to Raheny village.

Should be parking at the tennis courts just off the wade Ave loop.

The route I find the handiest, that is if you must take the M50: Take the Finglas exit, head for Finglas village, left off the ramp, follow that road all the way until you come to Killester, take a left onto the Howth Rd. The first major junction is at Sybil Hill Rd. Just after the garage take a right, then immediate left and you're on the actual course. If the marshals are there already and don't want you to go on the course (depends what time you get there) just continue on down Howth Rd. into Raheny village and take a right at Super Valu.

Right, looks like I've put me head on the block. 0-35s have been hit by two key withdrawals, so I've foolishly volunteered. Why do I do these things?

Senior women:

1st: Leevale
    2nd: Letterkenny
    3rd: Crusaders

Senior men:

1st: Donore

Not sure about 2nd and 3rd although Raheny and Ennis track were chasing.

Raheny in 2nd, I think. Freddy Sittuk ran a super 3 mile leg to put them back in the medals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Really enjoyed this event today. Can anyone tell me when the results are usually out.

Really enjoyed this event today. Can anyone tell me when the results are usually out.

Tomorrow, according to their website. The AAI aren't the quickest getting results up online, I find. In fact tomorrow would be good, for them. They could take a leaf out of parkrun's book when it comes to results.

Really enjoyed it too, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Headed out to have a look at this, was a super event, great organisation & great to be able to see so many good runners right in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

This was my second year running this and despite a fairly abysmal run from me I still really enjoyed the day.
    Fantastic organisation from the good folks in Raheny AC (as always) with lots of super support along the route and conditions were really great.
    Congrats to all who ran, there were some amazing performances and it was a wonderful opportunity to see some truly spectacular running.
    A great day for Crusaders with our senior ladies team coming 3rd and our masters men's team winning silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Fantastic day today and the sun played ball too. Really proud to be a part of the Sli Cualann team, fourth masters ladies o/35.
    Thanks Raheny Shamrocks and all the volunteers for a superbly organised championships! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Fantastic day today and the sun played ball too. Really proud to be a part of the Sli Cualann team, fourth masters ladies o/35.
    Thanks Raheny Shamrocks and all the volunteers for a superbly organised championships! :)

Well done! I thought you might be running but I don't know what you look like. I was smiling at the Sli Cualann ladies before we started but I'm pretty sure they(you?) were thinking "who is that crazy lady and what is she doing on the start line? ;-)"

Laura, it was great to chat to you and I'm hoping you've been inspired to join a club after spectating today, thanks for the shout-outs :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Well done! I thought you might be running but I don't know what you look like. I was smiling at the Sli Cualann ladies before we started but I'm pretty sure they(you?) were thinking "who is that crazy lady and what is she doing on the start line? ;-)"

Laura, it was great to chat to you and I'm hoping you've been inspired to join a club after spectating today, thanks for the shout-outs :-)

Well done ladies and to everyone else out there today. I went up to take a look for a while and ended up spending over 2 hours captivated by the whole thing! It was great to watch everyone in action and even getting to see the start lines up close with everyone getting in position and jostled in ready for the gun was a great experience.

Definitely Marthastew, it's been on my to-do list for a while - I think I'll bump it up and look into that more soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Marthastew wrote: »

Thanks Marthastew :) That is funny, it would have been great to say hello. Apparently, right before the start, I walked past my sister several times, *ignoring her* each time and the final time even looked straight at her and blanked her so I didn't spot any (other) crazy ladies pre-race :D Will you be at the Leinster 3k in a couple of weeks?
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done ladies and to everyone else out there today. I went up to take a look for a while and ended up spending over 2 hours captivated by the whole thing! It was great to watch everyone in action and even getting to see the start lines up close with everyone getting in position and jostled in ready for the gun was a great experience.

Definitely Marthastew, it's been on my to-do list for a while - I think I'll bump it up and look into that more soon!
    Thanks for the support Laura, glad to see your priorities are lined up in the correct order ;) Lovely to see you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Men's result was Donore in first with Ennis Track second and Raheny third. Couldn't hold off Mulcaire from Ennis on the last leg for the silver. Was great depth this year and a great atmosphere across the day. Well done all that ran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

eldiva wrote: »
    Men's result was Donore in first with Ennis Track second and Raheny third. Couldn't hold off Mulcaire from Ennis on the last leg for the silver. Was great depth this year and a great atmosphere across the day. Well done all that ran

Congrats on the national medal all the same. Not every day you win one of those!!

Advertisement