Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing mature Holm Oak Evergreen (Quercus Ilix)

Options
  • 15-04-2015 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on where I could buy some mature Holm Oak Evergreen (Quercus Ilix) trees. I need to make a high hedge over a wall. I'm looking for trees that would be 16 feet tall. There are lots of nurseries who sell young plants but I'm finding it hard to source mature plants. There seem to be lots of sellers based in the UK when I google but I'm looking for someone/nursery in Ireland to deliver 6-10 trees in Dublin. Any help advice appreciated !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Sea point wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm looking for advice on where I could buy some mature Holm Oak Evergreen (Quercus Ilix) trees. I need to make a high hedge over a wall. I'm looking for trees that would be 16 feet tall. There are lots of nurseries who sell young plants but I'm finding it hard to source mature plants. There seem to be lots of sellers based in the UK when I google but I'm looking for someone/nursery in Ireland to deliver 6-10 trees in Dublin. Any help advice appreciated !!

You're probably looking for Italian grown specimens if you want them this size. There are a few wholesale nurseries that import them in. Could your local garden centre not even source them?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sea point

That's the problem my local nursery could only get 5 foot tall trees and I need 16 feet tall trees. Do let me know if you can think of anyone who might sell them ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tully's nurseries do stock trees that size in other species, but i can't say whether holm oak would be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

tully's nurseries do stock trees that size in other species, but i can't say whether holm oak would be available.

+ 1 Just looked on their website and they have some in stock but you might need to take a trip out to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm certainly no expert, but trees that size would probably cost thousands, given the number you're looking at, and would take longer to establish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sea point

yes you are right, the UK websites are quoting £300 per tree for 16 foot mature Holm Oak Evergreen (Quercus Ilix).... so we are resigned to having to pay that amount. We aren't looking for alternatives. We are simply trying to source what are likely to be 16 feet tall expensive trees. All help appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

Sea point wrote: »

Hi, did you go ahead with this purchase?

I am looking at those type trees now myself and struggling to find 1.8m stem trees with good canopy coverage.

Advertisement