Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow hills -

• 15-04-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

I want to cross Sally Gap, down into Larragh and back through Roundwood on my spin this weekend. I have never cycled the road from Sally Gap to Larragh or from Larragh to Roundwood. Depending on the wind, its a battle to make Sally Gap and the road from Roundwood back to Rathfarnham has its challenges.
    Is the road from Sally Gap to Larragh similar to that from Sally Gap to Roundwood? What is the road from Larragh to Roundwood like?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Sally to Laragh is a bit longer. I think they are both beautiful routes in terms of scenery, though personally I'd slightly favour the route to Roundwood. Laragh to Roundwood is handy enough apart from the initial bump on the way out of Laragh and one or two gentle rises on the way, surface is relatively ok. I think there's also a secondary road which runs kind of parallel, though I've never taken this one. Enjoy the spin and I hope you get decent weather for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

ride with gps is a great site for mapping a route like this, you can use google street view to get an idea of road conditions as you plan your route and you can export files to a garmin if you have one. Thats what i do if im taking an unknown route for the first time.

The road surface to laragh from sallygap is ok, very rural without much traffic and no houses at all, its not as exposed there as the feather beds in my experience. The last few km's are fast downhill from the waterfall into laragh. There is a cafe in laragh at the foot of the climb that serves good food and coffee.

I turn right over the wicklow gap when i take that spin so im not much help describing the road to roundwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Love the road from Sally Gap to Roundwood - fantastic views and a joy to be on when the sun is shining. I am going to Larragh to increase my distance but mainly to try out the cafe that is mentioned regularly here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Koobcam wrote: »
    I think there's also a secondary road which runs kind of parallel, though I've never taken this one. Enjoy the spin and I hope you get decent weather for it.
    If you take the next left after the cafe/ triangle in laragh heading towards Roundwood, it will take you to the back road which will ultimately bring you back to Roundwood, or you can link back up the Roundwood/ Sally Gap route further up towards Guinness' Gates. It's longer and much more climbing that way though - it's more of a long drag from Laragh to Roundwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The road out to Laragh from Sallygap is one of my favourites. Up past Gleannmacnass waterfall is stunning. I can't remember if I've ever done it in the Sallygap to Laragh direction.
    The road over to Roundwood is grand, it rolls along nicely.

If the weather is nice, go for it - worst that can happen is you spend a bit more time out on the bike in a nice scenic part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

mainly to try out the cafe that is mentioned regularly here.

Don't expect any culinary wonders ;-) Its just a handy spot to rest in the middle of a spin.

(cup of black coffee with a dash of grumpy service is still worth the ride! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If you take the next left after the cafe/ triangle in laragh heading towards Roundwood, it will take you to the back road which will ultimately bring you back to Roundwood, or you can link back up the Roundwood/ Sally Gap route further up towards Guinness' Gates. It's longer and much more climbing that way though - it's more of a long drag from Laragh to Roundwood.
    Keep in mind with the back road via Lough Dan the start of it was being resurfaced with loose gravel earlier this year (or maybe it was last year, I can't remember). It's not very busy at all so may be months before it all gets mushed down properly. Granted the main road is a lot busier, but it's definitely flatter and it's nice crossing the bridge at Annamoe etc.

Thanks for the replies.
    You're right. Just do it. Paralysis by analysis.
    On the same note if I am feeling fresh when I hit Larragh, after a coffe in this famous cafe, do I head for Glanmalure for the two famous climbs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Macy0161 wrote: »

Great option for a challenging route when the wind over the gap is dodgy. Plenty of ramps and some nice scenery, one of my favourite back roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

MLC61 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    You're right. Just do it. Paralysis by analysis.
    On the same note if I am feeling fresh when I hit Larragh, after a coffe in this famous cafe, do I head for Glanmalure for the two famous climbs?

You could do, but bear in Mind Shay Elliott & Slieve Mann are two very tough climbs. From the Laragh side, I reckon Slieve Mann is the toughest climb in wicklow, taking into account the length, gradient & context (normally, you'd have already done a good bit of climbing before getting to it). I suppose you could also just head up Shay-that one is a lot easier from the Laragh side, though there are one or two steep ramps, particularly at the start. Roll into Laragh from Sally, head on to the Top of Shay, roll back down again to coffee & cake in Laragh (Watching out for the potholes and sharp bend/narrow bridge as you do so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Laragh - Wicklow Gap - Laragh - Shay Elliott - Slieve Mann - Shay Elliott - Laragh - Glenmacnass - Sally Gap - Roundwood... a nice little spin! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

It is longer from Sally Gap to laragh than to Roundwood, but no hill to climb over so it works out similar in effort in my opinion. I guess for a weight weenie that would be different but i am a long way from that!

The ride back from Laragh to Roundwood always flies by for me, maybe the beef ghoulash/coffee & carrot cake in the cafe mentioned has something to do with that. That and realising I am down out of the mountains and only the little climb into Enniskerry left to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Laragh - Wicklow Gap - Laragh - Shay Elliott - Slieve Mann - Shay Elliott - Laragh - Glenmacnass - Sally Gap - Roundwood... a nice little spin! ;)

Throw in Brown Mountain both sides and here you go
    https://www.strava.com/activities/153415020

Fian wrote: »
    It is longer from Sally Gap to laragh than to Roundwood, but no hill to climb over so it works out similar in effort in my opinion. I guess for a weight weenie that would be different but i am a long way from that!

The ride back from Laragh to Roundwood always flies by for me, maybe the beef ghoulash/coffee & carrot cake in the cafe mentioned has something to do with that. That and realising I am down out of the mountains and only the little climb into Enniskerry left to go.

What route do you take from Roundwood back to Enniskerry. I usually take the left at the sign for Sally Gap rather than going down the Long Hill - am I on the right track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Throw in Brown Mountain both sides and here you go
    https://www.strava.com/activities/153415020

This has just been added to the summer list might skip a bit as I'll be starting in Bray. I should add I hate climbing :( but looking forward to a nice day of suffering.

OP don't be expecting wonders from that cafe it's a place to rest and exchange stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Its about 20Km from the crossroads down to Laragh but about 10 Km of it is descent from before the waterfall all the way down. A very enjoyable descent too - very quick at the top and be careful when you come around the corner after the car park (on your right), you get the occasional sheep wandering about.....

Starting in Roundwood, there are lots of variations you can do if climbing hills is your idea of fun...

https://www.strava.com/activities/147746510

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Alek wrote: »
    Don't expect any culinary wonders ;-) Its just a handy spot to rest in the middle of a spin.

(cup of black coffee with a dash of grumpy service is still worth the ride! )

The middle classes just hate to be serving coffee as opposed to drinking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I want to cross Sally Gap, down into Larragh and back through Roundwood on my spin this weekend. I have never cycled the road from Sally Gap to Larragh or from Larragh to Roundwood. Depending on the wind, its a battle to make Sally Gap and the road from Roundwood back to Rathfarnham has its challenges.
    Is the road from Sally Gap to Larragh similar to that from Sally Gap to Roundwood? What is the road from Larragh to Roundwood like?
    Thanks
    Sally Gap to Laragh is a nice 22k relatively flat/downhill ride and includes the plummet into the very scenic Glenmacnass valley. Laragh to Roundwood is also relatively flat but for some reason I find it tedious.

As has been said, the cafe is Laragh is well placed but the service is 'strange' at times and it's relatively over-priced. You'll pay more for a coffee and (small) slice of cake than you would in Dublin City Centre.

Sally Gap to Laragh is a nice 22k relatively flat/downhill ride and includes the plummet into the very scenic Glenmacnass valley. Laragh to Roundwood is also relatively flat but for some reason I find it tedious.

As has been said, the cafe is Laragh is well placed but the service is 'strange' at times and it's relatively over-priced. You'll pay more for a coffee and (small) slice of cake than you would in Dublin City Centre.

Thank you. Will give it a go this weekend. The cafe sounds more intriguing by the minute.

I always approach Sally Gap from the Cruagh/Stocking Lane side. I have also approached from Enniskerry through Glencree. Of the other alternatives - from Roundwood, Laragh or Manor Kilbride, which would you rank as the most difficult?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

By my reckoning, from easiest to hardest

Laragh - Sallygap
    Manor Kilbride - Sallygap
    Cruagh - Sallygap
    Roundwood - Sallygap
    Enniskerry - Old long hill - sally gap
    Laragh - left turn onto Wicklow way road - Sally gap

Could just be that I favour long drags over ramps.

Thank you. Will give it a go this weekend. The cafe sounds more intriguing by the minute.

I always approach Sally Gap from the Cruagh/Stocking Lane side. I have also approached from Enniskerry through Glencree. Of the other alternatives - from Roundwood, Laragh or Manor Kilbride, which would you rank as the most difficult?
    I'd say the Roundwood Lugalla side up along Lough Tay is the toughest/steepest of the others. Cruah/Stocking Lane is tough too because it's such a long distance and you climb up to the Featherbeds then back down to Glencree then back up to the gap!

Also, this is a nice little nasty lap from Laragh if you want to factor it in! I'm pretty sure it must have around 1,000m of climbing in it.

There all tough, but if u can do one route, your well able to do any other route.

There all tough, but if u can do one route, your well able to do any other route.

OK. If that's the case, I will look at doing it from different sides over the next few weeks. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The two gaps is a nice circuit - start in Blessington or somewhere. You can do it in either direction (obviously) - Manor Kilbride direction if you want the Sallygap first, that nice road from Sallygap to Laragh and a slightly harder ride up the Wicklow Gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

We're going to need a bigger cake

If you intend cycling around Wicklow..you could always do it for charity?

http://www.downsyndrome.ie/fundraising-events/events/cycle-4-dsi/

If you intend cycling around Wicklow..you could always do it for charity?

http://www.downsyndrome.ie/fundraising-events/events/cycle-4-dsi/

That looks interesting. I am committed to doing the Tour De Connemara on May 23rd and am hoping to do WW200 in June. Would this event be something similar, albeit on a smaller scale?

• Advertisement

That looks interesting. I am committed to doing the Tour De Connemara on May 23rd and am hoping to do WW200 in June. Would this event be something similar, albeit on a smaller scale?

Yes..why not? the more events you do, the easier better prepared you'll be for the WW200.

Since my opening post, I have completed the Sally Gap to Larragh - really enjoyed it. Following some recommendations, I have also completed the Manor Kilbride to Sally Gap rather than always approaching from the Cruagh side.

I am now thinking of Larragh back over the Wicklow Gap to Hollywood. How difficult is the Wicklow Gap this way?

Since my opening post, I have completed the Sally Gap to Larragh - really enjoyed it. Following some recommendations, I have also completed the Manor Kilbride to Sally Gap rather than always approaching from the Cruagh side.

I am now thinking of Larragh back over the Wicklow Gap to Hollywood. How difficult is the Wicklow Gap this way?

Well Done!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95106528&postcount=25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It very much depends on the wind IMO. If there's a strong westerly blowing, it's tough going. Otherwise it's fine with no steep bits. There always the diversion up Turlough Hill to add a few more metres (left at the summit and through side of gate to ESB station).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The steepest bit of the Wicklow gap from Laragh is in the middle near the mines, and about 100m past where you think it appears to level out. but it's grand overall.

The steepest bit up Turlough hill is to the first hairpin.

Advertisement