Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with dealing with aggression!

• 15-04-2015 2:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, Tara and Elly get on great most of the time, however they do have full on fights every now and again. Today was the worst one yet, I struggled to separate them and got bitten in the process. I think blood was drawn on one of them as well - must be minor though because I can't see anything on either of them.

They have been separated now for several hours, but when I try to reintroduce them - one crated - one not, there is still aggression in their posturing and barking.

Now I have someone coming out to me in a week to do some training / work with them. But does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this in the meantime.

Usually they have calmed down and 'made friends' again by now - but not this time!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Age? Breed? And I take it both are bitches (i.e. the most likely combination to fight and the hardest to not get to fight)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Nody wrote: »
    Age? Breed? And I take it both are bitches (i.e. the most likely combination to fight and the hardest to not get to fight)?

Elly is almost 12 months and is a collie x. Tara is about 5 and is a jrt X daschund.

Yep both bitches - Tara is neutered, Elly isn't yet.

Well I found out the reason for the fight today, there was a tiny shrew hiding in one of the pipes in the garden - they obviously both wanted it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Same sex dogs tend to end up having issues with each other even if both are desexed.

You may have to keep them separate at all times esp if outside near shrews. Especially if the ignore your commands to stop.

Well day 2 and they are still not happy with each other.

Anyone any tips on overcoming this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Could Elly be coming into season? Or would it be about the time that Tara would be, if she hadn't been spayed?

• Advertisement

Elly was in season about 10 weeks ago, is it too early for that to happen again - no obvious signs that I've noticed.

I've no idea about Tara, we spayed her as soon as we got her, which would have been around September / October, so she could have potentially been in season over the summer period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Elly was in season about 10 weeks ago, is it too early for that to happen again - no obvious signs that I've noticed.

Could it be false pregnancy?

tk123 wrote: »
    Could it be false pregnancy?

Just googled the symptoms - I wouldn't say so. Apart from the aggression there are no other symptoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Just googled the symptoms - I wouldn't say so. Apart from the aggression there are no other symptoms

where there long terms signs of this?
    Cause it could be there just having control issues over things?
    Unless there tearing lumps out of each other.
    You might just have to live with these dogs separate, you could try a trainer though to see if there is something amiss or talk to your vet.

Advertisement