Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming PC

Options
  • 15-04-2015 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

1. What is your budget? €800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Total War series, Arma, GTA 5

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 and No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? In the next month or so

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Wicklow

This will be my first custom PC, im coming from a nearly 4 year old Alienware. Atm im thinking of:
    Intel Core i5 4690K / 3.5 GHz processor
    8gigs of RAM via Crucial Ballistix Sport - DDR3 - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin
    and a GeForce GTX 960 2gb

Its the rest of it im not sure of, eg the PSU etc and id rather stick to Intel and Nvidea rather than something like AMD but im open to builds that use them if its cheaper, il probably buy off hardwareversand.de, unless there is somewhere cheaper. Im not that knowledgeable about all this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Item|Price
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, without power supply|€€ 66
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box|€€ 182
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb / s|€€ 54
    Thermaltake 630W Berlin|€€ 51
    8GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 56
    ASRock H97 Pro4, LGA 1150, ATX|€€ 85
    MSI 280X GAMING R9 3G with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client, 3GB DDR5|€€ 238
    Crucial SSD 250GB BX100|€€ 89
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€840

Drop SSD if you can't stretch at all. 2Gb GTX 960 will save €20 if helpful, 960 or 280X are touch and go in terms of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 WicMan

Thanks digital, these seems like pretty good parts, but im wondering is the 3.5Ghz i5 unnecessary?, or will the 3.2Ghz you included be sufficient, i dont need to max out these games but id like to run them comfortably and for this rig to last as long as possible before i have to upgrade again.

Also how do you mean touch and go?, il probably get the GTX 960 (every little saving helps) and il have to drop the SDD too id say.

For a €70 difference there's no point in the 4690K. The 4460 should last 3 years minimum.

960 wins in some benchmarks, the R9 280X wins in others. I preferred the 280X for added RAM, but they're both great cards.

Cheers Digital, i think iv kinda decided on this (for now at least):

Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box - 184.99
    ASRock H97 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX - 91.34
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 - 59.99
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil - 54.71
    Thermaltake Berlin 630W - 55.11
    Gainward GeForce GTX 960, 2GB DDR5 - 215.27
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s - 57.23

Im quite happy with that, its quite under my budget but tbh 800 was absolute max so to get something as cheap as possible was my goal, also taking into account shipping and the fact i haven't even bought GTA 5 yet lol, and i might get it assembled for 29.99 for the ease of it.

Is that an ok rig or am i neglecting something?, are any parts incompatible etc, i want to be sure, Thanks again for your help btw

Run the parts through geizhals.de

It's easy to build a PC, look up tutorials on YouTube. Never heard of GainWard, have you researched them? MSI GTX 960 is €216 iirc

GTA is currently €45 on games planet UK ;)

• Advertisement

I just ran them through pcpartpicker.com and it found no issue.

Yea i dunno why i picked gainward, the one i was looking at was the MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5T OC, 2GB GDDR5 for 217 euro

And yea i know im sure i could put it together, but tbh at this stage id rather get it assembled by them, that way il know for sure that all parts can fit. Im sure il have to put the power supply in anyway so il get a look inside.

and thanks for the tip on GTA, 60 quid on steam is mad!

They can fit, no question about it. No worries

Isthereanydeal.com ;)

Advertisement