Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert HL Maths help

• 15-04-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey there, I'm currently in the middle of studying for my LC to take it June. I'm hoping to complete a CS degree next year and although I would have got the points for my course in the mocks I didn't hit the minimum entry requirement of a C3 getting a D2 instead. Just wondering how realistic is it that I could push that up to a C3 from now until the exams and what is the best way of going about this? I study maths everyday and amen't bad but struggle a lot with what is being asked!

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Are you sure the CS course requires a C3 in HL maths and not a D3? Most courses I know of just require a pass at higher or a c3 in ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kj707

Unfortunately not, the course offered in Trinity requires a minimum of a C3

Only way to improve then is just to study. What areas of the course are you struggling with in particular and what mock did you have?

Struggling a lot with probability and series and sequences at the moment (although I know they are seen as easier!). Would be quite strong on financial maths, complex numbers, differentiation etc. I had the DEB mock I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

kj707 wrote: »
    Struggling a lot with probability and series and sequences at the moment (although I know they are seen as easier!). Would be quite strong on financial maths, complex numbers, differentiation etc. I had the DEB mock I believe

Seriously and honestly speaking the truth 8/30 people in our HL Maths class failed the exam and most including myself failed it. Our teacher even knew the exam was a joke beforehand and told us that the people who made the exam wanted to make the students feel bad for themselves LOL. He also said not to worry much about the
    Mocks unless you failed really badly i.e failed less than 30% and keep failing class tests.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was just off a D1 but still worried about hitting the grade in June. If you don't mind me asking did you find there was a difference between grade in mock and actual exam? How did you go about studying as I mainly just do exam questions and not sure if right thing to do?

kj707 wrote: »
    Yeah I was just off a D1 but still worried about hitting the grade in June. If you don't mind me asking did you find there was a difference between grade in mock and actual exam? How did you go about studying as I mainly just do exam questions and not sure if right thing to do?

Only 3 people passed in my class out of 25.. just saying.
    My friend last year failed (32%) and got a C1 in the actual thing.
    I think with maths the only way to study is practice practice practice. Do all the exam papers, and once you've done those get previous mock papers.. then get the educate exam sample papers. The problem with redoing the actual exam papers is eventually you'll start to memorize answers etc.. like I've done the 2014 SEC paper 5 times now and I can almost recite the answers without doing any work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

Lol only 4 passed in our class with that mock exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I would suggest that you use khanacademy.

An excellent website that develops your understanding through tutorials, and also provides examples.

Completing all the past papers and using the mark schemes will also prove useful.

Advertisement