Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I handed over holding deposit - need help

Options
  • 15-04-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

i went to view a house yday and i paid 400 euro to the letting agent to hold the apartment. i have not signed anything and at first the place was 1200 and they have put the rent up by 150 when we reviewed the lease, i cant afford it and what iv been told is i cant get my 400 back can anyone give me advice?

thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Wow, that does not sound right at all.
    Did you get a receipt?
    Report to regulator immediately.

Property Services Regulatory Authority
    Abbey Buildings
    Abbey Road
    Navan
    Co Meath

Telephone: 046-9033800
    Fax: 046-9033888
    Lo-Call: 1890-252712
    Email: info@psr.ie

Check if they are a licensed agent too here as this seems not only unethical but criminal!
    http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-reg-of-propserv-prov-en

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You need to advise the agent that they have to return the deposit to you- as you were offered the property under false pretences (the pretence being that the rent was 1,200- when in actual fact it was significantly higher).

Failure to return the deposit promptly- will result in an official complaint to the Property Services Regulatory Authority (see details in BeatNikDub's post).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ruben37

Very good advice above, they have no right to retain the deposit under the circumstance explained in your posting.

Advertisement