Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 from BOC

Options
  • 15-04-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

Whats the procedure for getting a CD cylinder of O2 from BOC and what are the costs involved?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

set up an account, you rent the cylinder with a yearly/monthly fee and you pay for each refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I looked into this last year ago, they had a "Lifeline" rental package which cost €229 per year which consisted of a CD cylinder, BVM, etc. Cylinder would be automatically replaced yearly, and if used during the year refills were provided within 48 hours for €49. A reserve cylinder cost €98 per year. You also needed a practioner's PIN/GP prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Just my tuppence worth.

1- in my opinion the cylinder should be traceable to whichever organisation you're involved with. I presume you're a member of one so qualified and insured to use 02 by one. Is the organisation able to assist you in your query? After all oxygen is a medication.

2- will you be carrying the cylinder in a private vehicle? If so, is your vehicle insured to carry a pressurised cylinder? All you need is a RTC through absolutely no fault of your own ..........

Not trying to put a dampener on your question but maybe you hadn't thought of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Just my tuppence worth.

1- in my opinion the cylinder should be traceable to whichever organisation you're involved with. I presume you're a member of one so qualified and insured to use 02 by one. Is the organisation able to assist you in your query? After all oxygen is a medication.

2- will you be carrying the cylinder in a private vehicle? If so, is your vehicle insured to carry a pressurised cylinder? All you need is a RTC through absolutely no fault of your own ..........

Not trying to put a dampener on your question but maybe you hadn't thought of the above

I'd echo this, you have a post a year or so back looking to do the EFR exams.

Even if you're now an EMT there really isn't much need for oxygen imo. Even for things like heart attacks the current thinking is not to over oxygenate and only to sp02 required, if its available great but not much someone using a kit from a car or whatever requires it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Just my tuppence worth.

+1 to this and also what timmywex has said if you need it for you're vol org let them sort it for you all units would have accounts etc

1. If you want it for a private kit forget about it first of you realy don't need it in a private kit you have at home or in your car because
    (A)you are only aloud use it as part of a phecc approved org and
    (B)you car insurance will prob not cover you driving round with it
    I'm a EMT and my personnel kit has Notting in it fancy except a BP set and SPo2 everyting elese is on the ambulance when I'm on duty I don't understand EMTs/EFRs with half an ambulance in the boot

2. If it for a medical condition you're GP will assist you in that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭two4two

sjb25 wrote: »
    +1 to this and also what timmywex has said if you need it for you're vol org let them sort it for you all units would have accounts etc

1. If you want it for a private kit forget about it first of you realy don't need it in a private kit you have at home or in your car because
    (A)you are only aloud use it as part of a phecc approved org and
    (B)you car insurance will prob not cover you driving round with it
    I'm a EMT and my personnel kit has Notting in it fancy except a BP set and SPo2 everyting elese is on the ambulance when I'm on duty I don't understand EMTs/EFRs with half an ambulance in the boot

2. If it for a medical condition you're GP will assist you in that

spot on.

Why any EMT let alone EFR would require 02 in their kit is worrying as you can ONLY practice under a recognised CPG provider, your license alone won't cover you.

two4two wrote: »
    spot on.

Why any EMT let alone EFR would require 02 in their kit is worrying as you can ONLY practice under a recognised CPG provider, your license alone won't cover you.

Madness sure but iv seen it seen lads with all sorts there own kit not just 02 have seen other meds aswel collars airways like I said half the ambulance in the boot of there own car not saying the OP here is asking because of this just advising incase as they are thinking of it they should forget it for there own sake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Another thing the OP should look at if going ahead with carrying a CD size cylinder in the car is a green colored diamond shape sticker(With a cylinder logo) along with a yellow one with an oxidizing flame.These are to indicate to emergency services in the event of an accident that there is a probability of a compressed gas present.
    I could not see many if any insurance companies insuring private cars with gas been transported,As for the refills they just give you a replacement cylinder more or less the same as Calor gas do.

The service I refer to from BOC is aimed at providing o2 to workplace responders, something I never fully figured out - in fact donkey balls, you mentioned before your workplace did that, but you didn't know how insurance/training worked - did you ever find out?

ectoraige wrote: »
    The service I refer to from BOC is aimed at providing o2 to workplace responders, something I never fully figured out - in fact donkey balls, you mentioned before your workplace did that, but you didn't know how insurance/training worked - did you ever find out?

Whatever about work possibly getting it and supplying it for use by you - it is still a medication and you are not covered to administer it unless covered by the PHECC CPG org, so just be careful :-)

Thinking of people carrying loads in their bags, collars always amuse me, if you need to put a collar on you need an ambulance - bags are designed as a first response kit imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 RedNeonTiger

Hey All, its not for a personal kit its for a vol unit. I was just trying to get a sense of what was involved and the cost before I dwelled into the bureaucracy! Small unit with small funds.

timmywex wrote: »
    Whatever about work possibly getting it and supplying it for use by you - it is still a medication and you are not covered to administer it unless covered by the PHECC CPG org, so just be careful :-)

Thinking of people carrying loads in their bags, collars always amuse me, if you need to put a collar on you need an ambulance - bags are designed as a first response kit imo!

Yeah, that's what I'd been curious about before, some workplaces do have it, that seems to be the market the BOC product is aimed at. I never figured out how they insure their employees.

The collars are the best - do you do the inline stabilisation with your arse cheeks while measuring and applying the collar, or is there some other method employed to do both on your own just so the P's don't need to bother when they roll up. Presumably you hold the pen between your teeth filling out the PCR too.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I'd been curious about before, some workplaces do have it, that seems to be the market the BOC product is aimed at. I never figured out how they insure their employees.

The collars are the best - do you do the inline stabilisation with your arse cheeks while measuring and applying the collar, or is there some other method employed to do both on your own just so the P's don't need to bother when they roll up. Presumably you hold the pen between your teeth filling out the PCR too.

I'd suppose some company's may cover there employees using it I dunno all I can say is from my experience I used to work in a large factory and I am a PHECC EMT and was on the factory emergency response team but I did the occupational first aid course with the rest of the lads and was certified as an occupational first aider so when I was in work in the factory I worked to occupational first aid level and when on duty with my vol I was an EMT no hassles at all

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hey All, its not for a personal kit its for a vol unit. I was just trying to get a sense of what was involved and the cost before I dwelled into the bureaucracy! Small unit with small funds.

Depending on where you are, it may be easier to pop into your nearest agent .

http://www.boconline.ie/en/how-to-buy/store-finder/index.html

I have been meaning to ask our H & S lads about the oxygen on site,But between my work load and not seeing them that often it has slipped my mind.
    Saying that I remember working on a A330 aircraft after the pax got off but there was one pax still on board,And was on oxygen supplied by the cabin crew.
    My work load should be a bit easier next week if I see one of the lads I will ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

My workplace has O2 in FA room also.....always wondered the legalities of it.

My workplace has O2 in FA room also.....always wondered the legalities of it.

Surprised to hear of places with o2 - tbh if someone does need o2 they need an ambulance called for them and possibly transport to hospital.

I imagine alot of o2 in work places stems from old ways of thinking that it looks good etc rather than the actual medical benefits, old train of thought that every patient got some! Possibly given in work places for things like panic attacks when its not needed

Was talking to our H & S lads about the 02 that is onsite,And I actually forgot :o that we do have a doctor on site 2/3 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭westliferule

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering has any body done there EFR if so what kinda questions come up in MCQ and is OSCE very hard?

Advertisement