Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Insurance - An experience to forget.

Options
  • 15-04-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I just wanted to record and make known to others a recent experience with Liberty Insurance.

I have been with Liberty insurance, and Quinn Direct before them, since 2004. In those 11 years I have had my windscreen replaced once. No other claims whatsoever.

My insurance was due for renewal on the 3rd of April. In the run-up to policy renewal, I received an initial renewal quote of 337 euro. After phoning I was at 304 euro, happy days. Like many, I'm juggling bills and that particular time I didn't have the cash in place to pay for it. So, as I was able to forego use of the car for a few days, I had to let the policy lapse while I waited to gather the payment.

Last year I had similar cash flow difficulties, and despite the policy lapsing, I was able to get reinsured at the last renewal quote price of around 280 euro.

So I contacted Liberty yesterday in the hope of renewing the policy. I was informed that the policy could not be renewed as it had lapsed. Fair enough, if that's how your systems work, no big deal. I was then directed to the new policy sales department. After giving the details, I got a quote of 430 euro. A full 126 euro more expensive than the renewal quote they gave me about 2 weeks ago with no change of policy details. I started to get a real feeling of being shafted. So I rang around for quotes and found a comparable policy quote for 380 euro. Out of a sense of loyalty, I rang Liberty to give them the chance to quote again. No movement, 430 euro it stays.

Well, I'm sorry, but its obvious that there is absolutely no sense of customer loyalty left in Liberty, and I believe this type of treatment deserves to be broadcast.

For Everyones Info,

Cheers

DP

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

despatton wrote: »
    I just wanted to record and make known to others a recent experience with Liberty Insurance.

I have been with Liberty insurance, and Quinn Direct before them, since 2004. In those 11 years I have had my windscreen replaced once. No other claims whatsoever.

My insurance was due for renewal on the 3rd of April. In the run-up to policy renewal, I received an initial renewal quote of 337 euro. After phoning I was at 304 euro, happy days. Like many, I'm juggling bills and that particular time I didn't have the cash in place to pay for it. So, as I was able to forego use of the car for a few days, I had to let the policy lapse while I waited to gather the payment.

Last year I had similar cash flow difficulties, and despite the policy lapsing, I was able to get reinsured at the last renewal quote price of around 280 euro.

So I contacted Liberty yesterday in the hope of renewing the policy. I was informed that the policy could not be renewed as it had lapsed. Fair enough, if that's how your systems work, no big deal. I was then directed to the new policy sales department. After giving the details, I got a quote of 430 euro. A full 126 euro more expensive than the renewal quote they gave me about 2 weeks ago with no change of policy details. I started to get a real feeling of being shafted. So I rang around for quotes and found a comparable policy quote for 380 euro. Out of a sense of loyalty, I rang Liberty to give them the chance to quote again. No movement, 430 euro it stays.

Well, I'm sorry, but its obvious that there is absolutely no sense of customer loyalty left in Liberty, and I believe this type of treatment deserves to be broadcast.

For Everyones Info,

Cheers

DP
    Hi despatton,
    Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate you could not renew at that time but unfortunately once the policy has lapsed we can only provide you with a new business quotation. If you would like to PM us your details we can go through this with you over the phone.
    Thanks
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 7 despatton

Thanks Una, but what could you possibly say that could satisfactorily explain a rise of over 30%.  The fact is, you were willing to insure for 304 euro two weeks ago, now it jumps to 430.  There simply is no logic to that.  It's a classic case of marketing obfuscation getting between consumer and product.  Phoning around I repeatedly heard, 'Oh, last year was a bad year for insurance', well here's some news, loads of consumers weren't exactly living the high life either.  It just illustrates how ridiculous and dysfunctional the entire system is in this country.  Your price should always be your best price, not what you think the market may bear.  Why do consumers have to repeatedly contact insurers to pare you down to your final position.  

If someone claims, sure, load their premium (as you do anyway), but don't have ridiculous premium rises for those who haven't claimed.  A bit of loyalty to the customer wouldn't go amiss. To call it 'New Business' after 11 years of almost continuous coverage, is a bit disingenuous. 

I'd appreciate it if you could send me out a copy of proof of my 'No Claims Bonus', I'm sure it won't be too hard to identify me from the above information.

Regards
    DP

• Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

Thanks Una, but what could you possibly say that could satisfactorily explain a rise of over 30%.  The fact is, you were willing to insure for 304 euro two weeks ago, now it jumps to 430.  There simply is no logic to that.  It's a classic case of marketing obfuscation getting between consumer and product.  Phoning around I repeatedly heard, 'Oh, last year was a bad year for insurance', well here's some news, loads of consumers weren't exactly living the high life either.  It just illustrates how ridiculous and dysfunctional the entire system is in this country.  Your price should always be your best price, not what you think the market may bear.  Why do consumers have to repeatedly contact insurers to pare you down to your final position.  

If someone claims, sure, load their premium (as you do anyway), but don't have ridiculous premium rises for those who haven't claimed.  A bit of loyalty to the customer wouldn't go amiss. To call it 'New Business' after 11 years of almost continuous coverage, is a bit disingenuous. 

I'd appreciate it if you could send me out a copy of proof of my 'No Claims Bonus', I'm sure it won't be too hard to identify me from the above information.

Regards
    DP
    Hi despatton
    We regret we could not have offered you a more competitive price but we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback.
    I have been able to locate your policy and will issue your No Claims Bonus ASAP.
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Disgusting service.
    Really, really disgusting.

Thanks Una.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

I wish my insurance company gave the best prices to renewing customers rather than to new customers! 

7734 wrote: »
    I wish my insurance company gave the best prices to renewing customers rather than to new customers! 
    Yeah, I think the definition of 'New Customer' may be a large part of the problem here.

Yeah, I think the definition of 'New Customer' may be a large part of the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

I can see your point, it's a rough break alright. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

You say there's no sense of customer loyalty at liberty but actually, your post would prompt me to consider moving to them.

Often consumers complain that companies save the best deals for new customers yet here's a company offering better deals to existing customers and its a problem?

My insurance is up at the end of this month and I'll be giving them a call, I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

Didn't know liberty were on boards

Well my insurance went up from 370 to 620. Was not in town so didn't get a chance to shop around so renewed it on the last day. Lucky I was able to do that
    I was new customer last time for them
    But even after getting my full licence this year and adding another year of ncb I expected it to at least stay the same if not less

meep wrote: »
    You say there's no sense of customer loyalty at liberty but actually, your post would prompt me to consider moving to them.

Often consumers complain that companies save the best deals for new customers yet here's a company offering better deals to existing customers and its a problem?

My insurance is up at the end of this month and I'll be giving them a call, I think!
    I'm not sure you got the point.  I totally understand customers being annoyed at the deals for new customers, but I was a long term customer of theirs up to 2 weeks ago!  I would expect a longer memory than 2 weeks.

To be honest, I believe most, if not all, of the insurers have become slaves to their software.  Instead of pointing out anomolies and working to correct them, they assume if the computer says it, it must be right.  The truth is, software is written by people, and it's logic is only as good as those who write it. If you asked a human if I was a 'new customer' having been with them for 11 years, I expect you'd get an emphatic 'no'.  All I ask is that we recognize that there is a problem and maybe work to fix it.

Reminds me of Little Britain "Computer Says No......".

Advertisement