Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build advice

Options
  • 15-04-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Ok so will go through the list first before outlining the parts I picked:

1. What is your budget? €800 max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mainly gaming (GTA 5, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Witcher 3... most new games) but also for programming & general use.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? PSU & GPU (see below)

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 & 1280x1024 dual monitor set up. No upgrade planned

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Bank/Cash

9. When are you purchasing? 1-2 months

So basically I am looking for a machine which will be good for at least 3 years and easily upgradeable after that. I've been doing a bit of research but there is so much stuff out there that it's impossible to really know what the right choice is. If my GPU and PSU are ok then I can probably get the parts I want for now and upgrade those in the near future, however if I need them immediately then I'll have to cut back on other things. Here is what I've selected. If there are cheaper alternatives with comparable performance then I'm very much open for suggestion:

Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6: €182
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k: €256
    GPU: I have the Radeon HD5870 1GB DDR5. Would be willing to stick with that for a few months. I want to buy the R9 280x: €270
    RAM: GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 2x8GB: €150
    Case: TBD but budget of €100
    SDD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB: €120
    PSU: Have the Antec VP450w. No idea what upgrade would be needed if any

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

€90 motherboard is as good, €120 for SLI in future if you wanted.
    CPU is ott for gaming
    GPU can be upgraded immediately on that budget.
    16gb ram ott
    €50-70 is lots for a good case
    Can get a 512gb ssd for €170 and a 1tb hhd if budget allows
    PSU is okay, upgrade preferred but not necessary

Will link parts later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks very much for those suggestions much appreciated. Just out of interest why would the CPU be overkill? The one thing I really want from this PC is that it is future-proof so I don't mind going for the higher proc if it means saving in the long term. Also there is €100 difference in the mobos but the only difference seems to be additional USB ports and more SATA ports. Are there other reasons for the price difference? The rest of your suggestions are great many thanks

€70 difference for 0.3gHz in gaming. Will be atleast 3 years before a 4460 begins to become outdated, even then it won't be an necessary upgrade. Personally I'd look to more storage or put the difference towards a better mouse or keyboard.

Are you really going to need more than 6 SATA or 9 USB ports? Realistically, the average user won't use more than 4 of each. And that privilege isn't worth the difference. It allows for 3 GPUs, which is the main difference, but by the time a 280X becomes obsolete, a new single card is a more worthwhile upgrade for your average user.

Advertisement