Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devolo Homeplug Issue

Options
  • 15-04-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I have a set of the Devolo homeplugs in the house for the PC. Up until a week or so ago, they have been working fine, no issues to report what-so-ever. Now? Local Area Network does not have a valid IP Address. Both units still have a good green light indicator. The modem and internet connections are fine as all wireless devices (incl. PS4) can still get good strong steady connections with no drop outs. So, tonight I will move the PC to test a direct wired connection to the modem to rule out the on board network card.

I guess my question is, has anyone experienced unit failure on Devolo's or any other Homeplug kit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does the devolo cockpit utility show both devices? If so I'd suspect the network card or cable on the PC as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

You know, I never installed anything like that. Just plugged em in and off I went. :o

You know, I never installed anything like that. Just plugged em in and off I went. :o
    Might be worth doing for troubleshooting purposes, also it gives you the ability to update the firmware on them. I've updated mine twice since I got them about a year ago, and the most recent one I got was two versions behind out of the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I had a pair that failed. Although the green light was on there was no communication between the two.

Alun wrote: »
    Might be worth doing for troubleshooting purposes, also it gives you the ability to update the firmware on them. I've updated mine twice since I got them about a year ago, and the most recent one I got was two versions behind out of the box!

Right, all back to normal. Had to connect the PC through iPhone Hotspot to download the Cockpit app. It could only detect the unit connected to PC and not the router. Had to type in the security code for it and it picked it up. Did a factory reset on both units and then updated the firmware. Connection established, and has been steady all evening. Thanks for the tip on the Devolo Software.

• Advertisement

Glad it worked! They've added a couple of handy features in the new firmware (for my 650+ units, at least) to allow you to turn off the LED's, which is useful if they're visible in a living room as it can be a bit distracting, and also to turn off the power saving feature. I did both on one of mine as it's behind my HTPC in the living room and visible when watching TV, and also because it didn't always wake up properly when the HTPC came out of sleep for some reason that I can't be bothered troubleshooting.

Yeah I noticed that option to turn off the power saving mode (I have the 500+ kit). Might try that as , as you say, they can struggle to wake up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

reset both devolos (plug in one at a time)

once both are reset plug both in side by side and re-pair

once paired plug each one at desired location directly in wall power outlet (never in ext leads)

you should be good then

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Hi - I recently moved to a new house where wifi doesn't work at all around the house, the previous tenant when leaving gave me 2 of his old devolo plugs to use in the house as he doesn't need them anymore.
    I thought it was simply a case of plugging them in and working away, I can pick up the devolo wifi but it is password protected and I have no way of contacting the previous tenant to find out what the password is. There is a wifi key on the label but this is not working
    Is it possible to do a reset the plugs so the default password can be used?

Look on the devolo website and download the appropriate manual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Connect via ethernet to whichever one has it and you'll get the admin page and you can change everything from there.

Advertisement