Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch construction jobs

Options
  • 15-04-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Well folks
    So what's the construction job market like in Christchurch at the moment. Is there many general labour opportunities here or where is the best place in nz for construction work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

Hi James,

You should have no problem landing a general labour job in CHCH at present. Just look up Tradestaff, Canstaff, Max Contracts, Hays and google for other recruitment agencies. If you have a trade e.g. carpenter - you should have no problem.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

yeah it's booming over there at the minute. My brother is a quantity surveyor over there and the work is non-stop. Great place to live as well, from what he's been saying, although drink is a bit expensive. He loves it. If you can't find work here, get yourself over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James2016

Cheers
    I have a couple of years plumbing experience but no trade papers and then general construction . I'm 26 and handy enough at most things. Currently working in oz but finished this job at the end of July so I'll prob take the jump over!

James, you'll be grand and sort yourself out when you land. Just do a little research before getting on the plane and have a bit of savings to cover you for a week or two just in case. You will need to get a bank account opened and an IRD number but it's genuinely quick and easy. After checking into a hostel or your friends house just head down and sort those two things out.

A gentle reminder, it will be the middle of winter in July and if you're coming from WA or NT you will feel the cold so bring a jacket!

Sounds good! I'll be flying from adelaide SA so quite cool here at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Hi guys;
    Is there much work for electricians in Christchurch? What are the wages after obtaining the relevant papers?
    Cheers)

Lorne, there is work for all trades in Christchurch. One of my mates is an electrician and he reckons he's flat out and are turning away jobs so that sounds like the market is booming for you guys. Again just look up companies and recruitment agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Thank You Sir)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hi James,

You should have no problem landing a general labour job in CHCH at present. Just look up Tradestaff, Canstaff, Max Contracts, Hays and google for other recruitment agencies. If you have a trade e.g. carpenter - you should have no problem.

Dave

Which would be the best for other trades...here in Ireland them job websites are hit and miss....half jobs don't exist/long since being filled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 tomtom38

Guys i could do with some help..i am planning a permanent move to Christchurch asap! ive been working as a stonemason the past 12 years or so here in kilkenny. i dont have any papers as i was just working with my dad, but am well capable of stonework/brickwork/blockwork/labouring...tbh i don't mind what i do over there, im 38 so holiday visa is out...as far as i can see i have two options..skilled migrant visa or work to residency visa...both these require a job offer to secure the visa...has anyone information or advice on what steps to take?

cheers!

Flying out the start of August ! can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

tomtom38 wrote: »
    Guys i could do with some help..i am planning a permanent move to Christchurch asap! ive been working as a stonemason the past 12 years or so here in kilkenny. i dont have any papers as i was just working with my dad, but am well capable of stonework/brickwork/blockwork/labouring...tbh i don't mind what i do over there, im 38 so holiday visa is out...as far as i can see i have two options..skilled migrant visa or work to residency visa...both these require a job offer to secure the visa...has anyone information or advice on what steps to take?

cheers!

You'll need sponsorship. Try reaching out to companies in your field of work... Are you heading out with a partner?

jacksie66 wrote: »
    The work here for tradies is phenomenal. I cant keep up most of the time. There is a shortage of good tradesmen here so getting a job will be fairly easy i reckon..

I'm not in the building trade....I would be a diesel mechanic (tractor/plant/farm machinery...reasonable exp)

I'm not in the building trade....I would be a diesel mechanic (tractor/plant/farm machinery...reasonable exp)

There's nine diesel mechanic farm jobs

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?cid=5000&advSearch=JnNlYXJjaD0yJnNpZGViYXI9MSYxNTM9RGllc2VsK21lY2hhbmljK2Zhcm0mMTY2PVNBTEFSWSYxNDQ9LTEmMTQ0PS0xJnNhdmUtZHVyYXRpb249MCZjaWQ9NTAwMCZGb3JtVHlwZT1zZWFyY2g=&rptpath=5000-

There's a lot more general diesel mechanic jobs, including with Gough in Hamilton

Thanks for that...il check it out on work wifi tomorrow (crap phone internet here)

How real are these jobs??...notice a lot of Irish websites are the same jobs every six months....cv harvesting???

*left skeptical after years of recession in Ireland

Trademe is NZs answer to daft, boards and eBay wrapped in one, and most kiwi employers prefer to advertise directly as they see no reason to pay a recruiter when they can do it themselves. That's not to say there aren't shifty sorts, but in general you're grand.

I'd start with trying to pin down an area and hunt in that area first... Then expand if needs be. Expensive areas to rent are Queenstown, Christchurch and Auckland so scrub those off your list first. Invercargill is far away from everything and cold. It's the Tasmania of NZ. I'd try out Taranaki and the Waikato first. There is a large milk plant being built in Pokeno between Auckland and Hamilton, so that could be good if you like large trucks. MAN have a big presence by memory... Fuelquip were in every main city, if that helps?

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Trademe is NZs answer to daft, boards and eBay wrapped in one, and most kiwi employers prefer to advertise directly as they see no reason to pay a recruiter when they can do it themselves. That's not to say there aren't shifty sorts, but in general you're grand.

I'd start with trying to pin down an area and hunt in that area first... Then expand if needs be. Expensive areas to rent are Queenstown, Christchurch and Auckland so scrub those off your list first. Invercargill is far away from everything and cold. It's the Tasmania of NZ. I'd try out Taranaki and the Waikato first. There is a large milk plant being built in Pokeno between Auckland and Hamilton, so that could be good if you like large trucks. MAN have a big presence by memory... Fuelquip were in every main city, if that helps?

Thanks very much....this actually helps alot...hopefully il go through with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

what kinda bucks you guys earning there? lets start with a general labourer,somthing in construction? truck drivers,excavator drivers etc

what kinda bucks you guys earning there? lets start with a general labourer,somthing in construction? truck drivers,excavator drivers etc
    Being in touch with couple of agency's and seems to be around 22 nzd plus per hour for general labouring

• Advertisement

James2016 wrote: »
    Being in touch with couple of agency's and seems to be around 22 nzd plus per hour for general labouring

What agencies are they??

Canstaff and other ones mentioned in 1st page of post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

James2016 wrote: »
    Canstaff and other ones mentioned in 1st page of post

Would avoid Canstaff at all costs. Came out with a related business to them and was a complete nightmare. Personally know the owner and always have a laugh to myself at the articles he posts on employment issues in the local newspaper.

Cheers for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Tradestaff seems to be a big business and haven't heard any bad reports. Only know a few labourers but they either came out on their own or through family.

Grand
    My background is plumbing and civil, being in oz 2 years now. So hopefully find work over there.

Advertisement