Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tough climbs in Dublin

• 15-04-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm doing the Etape in July, facing into 4500m of climbing. From Galway and have to stay in Dublin some weeks. Thinking of finding some tough climbs to repeat ad nauseum over an evening and would be grateful for some suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

velogalway wrote: »
    I'm doing the Etape in July, facing into 4500m of climbing. From Galway and have to stay in Dublin some weeks. Thinking of finding some tough climbs to repeat ad nauseum over an evening and would be grateful for some suggestions.

You staying north/west/south/central Dublin ? a couple of loops of Howth head in both directions would be a good exercise, think the howth village side up to the summit is a category 4. Other than that you're probably looking at heading out towards Enniskerry and up to sally gap. There are some good rolling hills around Manowar and Balrothery a good 15/20k spin from Swords but I doubt anything that would test you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

No need to go quite so far south as Enniskerry/Sally Gap -
    Stocking lane, Cruagh road, 3 rock & Kilmashogue are all within a few km of each other
    https://www.strava.com/activities/64763919

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

colm18 wrote: »
    No need to go quite so far south as Enniskerry/Sally Gap -
    Stocking lane, Cruagh road, 3 rock & Kilmashogue are all within a few km of each other
    https://www.strava.com/activities/64763919

Ever done that in the dark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

godtabh wrote: »
    Ever done that in the dark?

Yup, especially Cruagh. You would need lights there. Same for Ticknock and Kilmashogue. Not sure about Stocking lane, there might be some street lights there maybe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Yup, especially Cruagh. You would need lights there. Same for Ticknock and Kilmashogue. Not sure about Stocking lane, there might be some street lights there maybe.

I have lights. The Kong Blinder Road 2. Just not sure if they are good enough for some where like that. That's why I generally go toward Vico Road for night time climbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There is a hill called Cupidstown near Kilteel that is horrible. Hits 23% near the top.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There is a hill called Cupidstown near Kilteel that is horrible. Hits 23% near the top.

My favourite climb. It's agony.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Is that near " the lamb "

sullzz wrote: »

Cupidstownhill, Co. Kildare
    http://goo.gl/maps/fpGIw

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Cupidstownhill, Co. Kildare
    http://goo.gl/maps/fpGIw

How does it compare to lamb hill , I think it's located right beside it , I thought by your link it was the lamb , I think the lamb hits over 21% near the top , or maybe it has been Cupidstown hill I've been climbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Cruagh hill, Military road, on up to sally gap, down to roundwood, then back to sally gap and down cruagh hill. If you are able you could always go back up cruagh again. Oh and there is a nasty looking very steep left after the second bridge on cruagh ("devils elbow?") that I have never been even slightly tempted to go up. At that stage the last thing i want is more gradient. Even if I stopped to take a break on the way up.

Apart from that there is the steep climb out of enniskerry. It is not very long but man is it steep. And when you get to the top you can turn left and come to the steepest part of the climb to the sally gap, albeit after a bit of a break.

That will sort you out for tough climbs imo. If you are into that sort of thing you masochist weirdo.

Edit: Just to be clear I have not done anything like the climbing advocated above myself. Stocking lane/Cruagh to sally gap and laragh then home via roundwood and enniskerry is my limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Just do repeats of rugged lane and summerton lane in the strawberry beds. Brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Where exactly is the wall? Mentioned lots here but have never been able to see it on strava

slap/dash wrote: »
    Just do repeats of rugged lane and summerton lane in the strawberry beds. Brutal

Oh yeah , all around the strawberry beds is great for hill repeats

surball wrote: »
    Where exactly is the wall? Mentioned lots here but have never been able to see it on strava

Not too far from kildare town area , is part of the tour of kildare sportive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

surball wrote: »

https://www.strava.com/segments/824925

Think that's what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

Bohernabreena/Piperstown and a few round there are tough climbs, v close to Stocking Lane. Repeats of those were a staple of Etape training for me before.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bohernabreena then Ballinascorney, couple of minutes recovery on the descent to Kippure estate then Sally Gap and on up to Kippure mast, recovery descent, featherbeds climb, down Stocking Lane. That's about 1000 m in 50km. https://www.strava.com/activities/272355655
    You could do a few loops up and down to the viewing point via Cruagh or Stocking Lane for added hardship if you're on for it.

https://www.strava.com/segments/824925

Think that's what you're looking for.

or this one ,
    i thought this one was more common , this one is the one used in the TOK

https://www.strava.com/segments/715134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Savage. Almost on a par with Kilmashogue.

EDIT: Interesting where the name 'Cupidstown' came from. Legend has it that it's named after Cromwell's gun (which he called Cupid). Cromwellstown is an adjacent village/townland. Sorry for the OT venture..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

To 'train' for some alpine climbs I did repeats of Howth Hill, mostly from the harbour side but mixed it up a lot. Once I got to 7 repeats I felt I was OK. Depending on where you are coming from it might be nice to pootle out along the coast.

I also did Lambs Hill once... didn't stop but I was weaving a lot to stay upright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Never done stocking lane/cruagh/kilmashogue, how does it compare to Ballinascorney Hill?

Cupidstown is the Kilteel side ascent and 'The Lamb' is the ascent from the N81 side. Both are horrendous :D

Is the main 'wall' oft referred to on this forum not the one near Enniskerry or somewhere down that neck of the woods?

Cupidstown is the Kilteel side ascent and 'The Lamb' is the ascent from the N81 side. Both are horrendous :D

Ah right , yep shocking climbs , I remember climbing the lamb with a mate and he came to a stop and had to unclip and put his foot down , he couldn't manage to start again so had to walk the rest of the way , when he got to the top he said it was just as hard to walk it as it was to cycle it .

Is the main 'wall' oft referred to on this forum not the one near Enniskerry or somewhere down that neck of the woods?

That's the one Black and Amber linked to

Ah right , yep shocking climbs , I remember climbing the lamb with a mate and he came to a stop and had to unclip and put his foot down , he couldn't manage to start again so had to walk the rest of the way , when he got to the top he said it was just as hard to walk it as it was to cycle it .

I've seen lads on club spins literally keel over into nettles near the top as they couldn't unclip in time. Newbies to it always drop down through the gears far to early and then have nothing left for the top bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

El Kabong! wrote: »
    To 'train' for some alpine climbs I did repeats of Howth Hill, mostly from the harbour side but mixed it up a lot. Once I got to 7 repeats I felt I was OK. Depending on where you are coming from it might be nice to pootle out along the coast.

I also did Lambs Hill once... didn't stop but I was weaving a lot to stay upright.

Wheres lambs hill?

I've seen lads on club spins literally keel over into nettles near the top as they couldn't unclip in time. Newbies to it always drop down through the gears far to early and then have nothing left for the top bit.
    Yep , I remember my first time up it I was with 2 others who did it before , it was on the way home from a spin around the gaps , I thought I was doing great , the other 2 way behind , needless to say they never told me the gradient beforehand , I got laughed at about 3/4 the way up as they passed me by as I was puffing and panting .
    I love that hill :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velogalway

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful suggestions. More than enough opportunities now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I know howths been suggested few times but going up through the village take the right at the church and follow the road up till you come to a V and take the right up the little ramp there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

The Etape du Tour climbs are going to be steeper and longer than anything you would be able to find in Ireland. That said, I reckon you can do some good training to prepare. For the long climbs, there are basically only three I know of in Leinster, which all finish at dead-end summits at around 700m;
    a) Kippure mast, you can get here any number of ways, Enniskerry to the Mast via Powerscourt waterfall is good as it's more or less uphill the whole way once you pass the waterfall (Other routes are longer but have descents mixed into the climbing). You can also go via Cruagh, stocking lane, Sally Gap etc. I would suggest trying the route from Powerscourt though as it is a long, continuous climb.
    b) Turlough Hill. Probably best done from Laragh. It's a long continuous climb with a steep section in the middle of the gap and again at the start of Turlough Hill.
    c) A third option in Leinster (though nowhere near Dublin actually) is to go to the top of the Mt. Leinster Mast. If you take the route from Bunclody, I think it's might be the only category 1-rated climb you can find on Strava in Ireland (the other two above are rated Cat 2. I have done the Mt Leinster climb before but never been up to the mast. I hear it's incredibly hard and steep.

So, suggested route might be as follows:
    -Start from Enniskerry, go to Kippure mast via Powerscourt waterfall
    -Descent past glenmacnass waterfall into Laragh and head up the Gap, to the top of Turlough hill.
    -Go back down the same way for the descending practice and maybe stop then for a bite at one of the cafes in laragh.
    -Make your way towards Bunclody and up Mt. Leinster, all the way to the mast. Go to Bunclody via Shay elliot & Slieve Mann if you really want punishment.
    -Descend towards Bagenalstown and take the train back to Dublin

If you do those climbs, you'll also have the opportunity to practice long descents. Depending on what kind of rider you are, I would suggest not riding carbon clinchers on the Etape, though newer ones may resist heat build up better. You may wish to descend at speed but unfortunately, there will likely be so many people with you on the descent that you may have to brake more often that you would wish.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nice route Koobcam - as I'm off work sick and I'm bored I've done it up (roughly anyway) on strava - https://www.strava.com/routes/2148231

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Nice route Koobcam - as I'm off work sick and I'm bored I've done it up (roughly anyway) on strava - https://www.strava.com/routes/2148231

Jaysus, when you actually do a map of that route, it looks brutal. I reckon that would be nearly as hard as the Etape itself. In fact, it has a bit more climbing than when I did the Etape in 2013. I might do that route myself before the end of this month.

• Advertisement

I actually think the Cromwellstown climb is a better climb in some ways. It's longer with the steep kick in the middle. The descent down into Brittas is better too.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I actually think the Cromwellstown climb is a better climb in some ways. It's longer with the steep kick in the middle. The descent down into Brittas is better too.

Road surface is horrendous in places though and I actually think that the descent into Brittas is one of those that your constantly on the brakes for a few reasons, loose chippings at the side and middle of the road and also the chance of meeting a car/tractor. Twice i've nearly ploughed into a car on the descent.

Road surface is horrendous in places though and I actually think that the descent into Brittas is one of those that your constantly on the brakes for a few reasons, loose chippings at the side and middle of the road and also the chance of meeting a car/tractor. Twice i've nearly ploughed into a car on the descent.

It can be slippy due to oil on the road as well. But it's wider and safer than the others.

they/them/theirs

3d of it. Hard to get an angle with all the roads clearly shown but Mt Leinster looks evil
    10y048l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Sounds like and my your link I think it may be the lamb or is it somewhere on the kilteel road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

terrydel wrote: »
    Never done stocking lane/cruagh/kilmashogue, how does it compare to Ballinascorney Hill?
    Cruagh and Stocking Lane are fairly similar with no real steep bits. Cruagh is slightly easier in my opinion but others will disagree.

Balinascorney is much shorter although the gradient varies a lot.

Kilmashogue is also fairly short but brutally steep in places (20%+) - no comparison to the others. It's also a Cul de Sac and very narrow in places - if you meet anything larger than a car you'll have to unclip and pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Toughest has to be Kilmashogue Lane. It is brutally steep and long enough to make it a proper climb.

Cruagh and Stocking Lane are fairly similar with no real steep bits. Cruagh is slightly easier in my opinion but others will disagree.

Balinascorney is much shorter although the gradient varies a lot.

Kilmashogue is also fairly short but brutally steep in places (20%+) - no comparison to the others. It's also a Cul de Sac and very narrow in places - if you meet anything larger than a car you'll have to unclip and pull in.

Ballinascorney from the cross at the Bohernabreena road is short enough but if you take it as a whole from the Dodder up it's a decent climb. https://www.strava.com/segments/652111

That other Bohernabreena road that I took yesterday has a nasty kick to it in a few places. The surface of the road adds a few % in effort too.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/661071

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Ballinascorney from the cross at the Bohernabreena road is short enough but if you take it as a whole from the Dodder up it's a decent climb. https://www.strava.com/segments/652111

That other Bohernabreena road that I took yesterday has a nasty kick to it in a few places. The surface of the road adds a few % in effort too.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/661071

I turn right at the Mill pub and down past the pitch and putt club on the left and on up. Is that the first link you posted? Seems a similar distance.
    Tough climb imho, tho Im nearly getting up it in the big ring at long last!

Ya thats it.
    I'd say I'll get up it in the big ring when I get a cassette with 44 :)
    TBH, there's 2 ramps on the main road that really hit me hard although I start my cycle fairly close to the start of the climb so I'm not warmed up until I get to the turn. The top half has steep sections but it's so varied that I can get my breath back a little on the easier sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Step Lane out of Stepaside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ckeego wrote: »
    Step Lane out of Stepaside?
    Bit short for training on or doing repeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Daroxtar wrote: »
    3d of it. Hard to get an angle with all the roads clearly shown but Mt Leinster looks evil
    10y048l.jpg

I know it's outside Dublin but borris to the mast of mt Leinster is more than half the tourmalet
    I think it's the biggest climb in Ireland

Advertisement