Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 8 + 9), Apr 17-20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Missing the Bohs match on Friday, Big test for us and one that will give us a better idea of where our season will go. quietly confident though of a result

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Dundalk at home should be revealing but will probably just be very dull.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking forward to seeing how Rovers and Dundalk get on while City should get 3 points on their travels. Forgot the games were on Monday as well!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The weather is too good to be heading to Bray...something's not right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dfx- wrote: »
    The weather is too good to be heading to Bray...something's not right...

Going by pictures, the pitch is starting to look a bit better at least. Hopefully it'll be the usual thing of improving quickly once the spring kicks in proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

anncoates wrote: »
    Going by pictures, the pitch is starting to look a bit better at least. Hopefully it'll be the usual thing of improving quickly once the spring kicks in proper.

I think they pole-forked and sanded it too late, can't recall it being that bad before. But yeah, it should get better around now. Won't expect anything out of that game anyway.

As for Derry, I think a win is possible, has to be achievable with current form.

Mushy wrote: »
    I think they pole-forked and sanded it too late, can't recall it being that bad before. But yeah, it should get better around now. Won't expect anything out of that game anyway.

Sorry I was actually talking about Tallaght stadium for tonight. Shouldn't have quoted that particular post. :)

Sounds like Carlisle similar to Tallaght at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

When a draw is a "good result" for both sides, a tight and dull game is almost inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Have to be beating Drogheda away if we want to challenge for the league this year. Take this as my weekly "hope Caulfield puts them out to play ball" comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tough one for us in Dalymount tonight. We havent really got started yet and Bohs are on a good run of form but I think we will win it by a goal. Clarke, Bermo and Bolger back is a big boost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

We haven't beaten pats in ages at this stage, decent chance of getting something tonight though I reckon.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CHealy wrote: »
    Have to be beating Drogheda away if we want to challenge for the league this year. Take this as my weekly "hope Caulfield puts them out to play ball" comment.

We tried to play though Drogheda last week and they defended very well. Good fitness levels and organisation.

If anything, a more direct approach would be better, as Drogheda are not as comfortable in the air. Also United Park is such a tight ground.

Perhaps, a game for O'Sullivan feeding off crosses from Gaynor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Ryan McManus who was brought in for the injured Peers is crocked himself and will miss the match against Longford. A clean sheet will be a minor miracle imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

We head to Tallaght in confident mood this evening. Have played Rovers eight times in the last year or so and lost just once (that gut wrenching FAI cup quarter final defeat when we were pickpocketed late on by Karl Sheppard). Would be happy with a draw this evening but a win is definitely possible. Interesting to see starting line up. You'd think O'Donnell would be a cert to start having got rid of the rust with cameos over the past couple of games. Possible that Finn could be the odd man out this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

If anything, a more direct approach would be better, as Drogheda are not as comfortable in the air. Also United Park is such a tight ground.

Perhaps, a game for O'Sullivan feeding off crosses from Gaynor?

Don't worry, we got that covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd be lying if I said I'm confident and looking forward to the trip to Cobh.......... Can see us struggling big time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gav, as a battle hardened Division 1 warrior, what is the biggest dump of a ground in that league/worst away trip you've experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would expect Cork win but 6/1 on Drogs at home is little bit of value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

Hate to say it but can't see anything but a 0-0 draw between rovers and Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    Hate to say it but can't see anything but a 0-0 draw between rovers and Dundalk

Be positive Man! a 7 goal thriller

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »

Haha I wish

uch wrote: »

Is that tonight or our season so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Omackeral wrote: »
    Gav, as a battle hardened Division 1 warrior, what is the biggest dump of a ground in that league/worst away trip you've experienced.

Couldn't be a worse kip than Jackman Park could there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dan1895 wrote: »
    Couldn't be a worse kip than Jackman Park could there?

Jacks is definitely the worst I've ever been to. I didn't like The Drom because of having to stand on wet ground and the poor layout of the pitches, but it's good in other ways. No redeeming features for the Jacks, apart from maybe the handy railway station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Omackeral wrote: »

Has to be Jackman as the biggest dump of a ground by a country mile as already mentioned, the likes of St. Colman's Park, Buckley Park, Station Rd, Drom, Fahy's Fields are all bearable even if they are in the middle of nowhere, freezing, etc...
    Jacks is definitely the worst I've ever been to. I didn't like The Drom because of having to stand on wet ground and the poor layout of the pitches, but it's good in other ways. No redeeming features for the Jacks, apart from maybe the handy railway station.

Awh Drom is grand, struggle to get a 50 seater bus to it, it's a bit nippy, etc... but it's grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Awh Drom is grand, struggle to get a 50 seater bus to it, it's a bit nippy, etc... but it's grand!

Not really grand for League of Ireland, dry ground to stand on isn't a lot to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Longford score from 40 yards.. Sligo equalise from 35...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good result and keeps unbeaten run going.

Longford and Dundalk coming up and confident we can get 6 points

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win for City and always nice to see Dundalk drop a couple of points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Deserved win for the Supersaints tonight. Bad peno from Brennan.

Rovers really should have won that, drennan missed a sitter at 2-2. Dundalk really killed the game for most of the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Doyle was a disgrace tonight gave absolutely everything to Rovers and I mean everything. Everytime he refs our games against Rovers he seems to do his best to screw us over.
    Red card was the correct decision though and looked like the foul was inside the box also for the penalty. Linesman on Rovers side of the pitch was even worse three offsides in a row he let go for Rovers. Always seemed a few yards behind play.

Draw was probably a fair result but had we have kept 11 men on the pitch we would have won easily. Rovers were very poor against 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Rovers really should have won that, drennan missed a sitter at 2-2.

Meenan missed a 1 on 1 in the first half. We hit the crossbar. McMillan had a great chance to win it at the death.
    Dundalk really killed the game for most of the second half.

Eh, we had 10 men. What were we supposed to do, go all out attack?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Frustrating game for us against Pats. We don't really have quality going forward against the better teams. That said, we really should have scored from one of 2 brilliant set pieces from Fitzgerald.

Brennan's penalty was hilariously bad.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Entertaining game. Thought Dundalk shaded first half but never really threatened. Kenna made a balls of a simple clearance to gift a goal and another scored soon after. Sending off and peno had Dundalk well on the ropes and Drennan scored a great goal to equalize. After that, we bizarrely didn't press the advantage even when Dundalk looked fcuked. Drennan or McMillan could have settled it near the end. Draw overall a fair enough result I suppose.

About 5000 at it, I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would liked to have nabbed a win against a seemingly lacklustre Derry, but I guess they'd expect a win against us too so not the worst.

Disappointed to draw after being 2-0 up but given we played so long with ten men I suppose it could have been worse. Sending off fair enough but never a peno. Was outside the box. We were better team with eleven and there was only ever gonna be one winner until Rogers got sent off.

Nice to see Finn celebrate his goal as well. Towell really good again. He's really getting back to his best. Thought Vinny Perth and Pat Fenlon were going to box the ears off each other at one stage. Still top and still unbeaten.

Thought it was a very good game, but maybe that's because we've seen so many bad ones in Tallaght. Rogers' tackle looked outside the box but it seemed marginal and probably justice anyway as it was as cynical a foul as you'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Important win for Galway United. The game was way more one sided than 3-2 suggests. I think Limerick only had one shot on target (their first goal was an own goal). United had 23 shots apparently.

Bray next Saturday is another huge match for United. Dundalk on Monday can probably be written off.

Fair play to the small but very vocal Limerick away support who never stopped singing for well over 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Thought it was a very good game, but maybe that's because we've seen so many bad ones in Tallaght. Rogers' tackle looked outside the box but it seemed marginal and probably justice anyway as it was as cynical a foul as you'll see.
    Cynical or not it was outside the box.But you have taken the Neil Doyle attitude here and have decided "close enough i'll give it".This kind of crazy sh1t reffing/decision making guff has the league going backwards.Sending off sure.pen no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was at the Rovers match tonight, overall a draw was probably a fair result. First half was pretty even and Dundalk punished a mistake (luckily didn't punish another two), then Rovers were all over the shop for the start of the second half. The sending off and peno gave Rovers so much momentum and they did dominate the rest of the game but Dundalk defended well with ten men in fairness after it went to 2-2. Great finish by Drenann for his second. Thought Dundalk were going to win it with their chance at the very end!

Good atmosphere although Dundalk didn't bring as many as I thought they would from what I could see. Thought Finn was probably the best player on the pitch although nobody played unbelievable, didn't think Kenna or McPhail had great games. Martin O'Neil was there, rumours it was to look at Dane Massey? Although based on tonight I definitely don't think he would be good enough.

Hyland kept Rovers in the game first half as McPhail and Cregg were struggling from relentless pressure from Dundalk, but that told on their legs towards the end. Kenna made the mistake, but it could've been Webster or Madden or Ryan Brennan before that.

Think the visitors considered it game over prematurely at 0-2. Dundalk handled the red card badly, they backed off, rocking at 2-2 and didn't try to keep the ball. I'd say the 'strong' side of Cork would've muscled themselves back into the game at 1-2 and killed it off. Gartland couldn't handle Drennan in behind, he was much happier dealing with North.

Fantastic second goal, haven't celebrated like that for a while. Then Drennan had two great chances to win it, Sava first with a save.

Great game though, excellent for a neutral.

Cynical or not it was outside the box.But you have taken the Neil Doyle attitude here and have decided "close enough i'll give it".This kind of crazy sh1t reffing/decision making guff has the league going backwards.Sending off sure.pen no.
    No, I said it was marginal, I didn't ascribe anything to Neil Doyle. It might have been in the box, I can only say what my initial reaction was. And if you come steaming out of your goal with eyes only for the man then sometimes you might not get the rub of the green.

Red card was a penalty, Rogers messed up waiting in the box for the ball, it was nipped past him and took Brennan down, He spent the whole time in the box, so the foul must've been in it. Brennan should never have been allowed get to the ball first between two/three Dundalk players.

dfx- wrote: »
    Red card was a penalty, Rogers messed up waiting in the box for the ball, it was nipped past him and took Brennan down, He spent the whole time in the box, so the foul must've been in it. Brennan should never have been allowed get to the ball first between two/three Dundalk players.
    Wrong. It was outside the box. This has already been confirmed by journalists who were shown a replay of the incident on video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pretty dreadful game at Dalymount last night. Up until the goal it was pretty even.

Decent crowd all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conroym7

Great game in Tallaght last night.

For his goal McMillian hassled the defender and made the chance for himself and took it superbly, similar to Drennan in the second half(great strike). Finn also took his goal well and the celebration was brilliant.

On the peno and sending off, It was a sending off but noway was it a penalty, thought this at the game and it was confirmed after the match when the Dundalk backroom team showed video footage of the incident.

A bittersweet result for me, on one hand we threw away a 2-0 lead on the other we limited Rovers to 2 clear chances with 10 men for almost the entire second half.

Quit moaning about refs. Our best player sat out the game last night because of a dumb decision in Derry. That's the league, and the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

****e game last night, Bohs are ****e and we are ****e. Noone sent off :D

Great pass from Forrester for the goal, other than that brutal match.

RTE said we deserved it (we did ) extra time said we were lucky (we werent).

Cba moaning about refs both teams have to play with the same ****e ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would liked to have nabbed a win against a seemingly lacklustre Derry, but I guess they'd expect a win against us too so not the worst.

Let's be honest, we were both p1sh. Poor entertainment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement